Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing [Merged]

People hyped up on fishing are comparing to other games where you can stand and fish 24/7 instead of realizing how GW2 actually is and how fishing is highly likely to be. 

You're looking at gathering nodes in the water similar to how ore/wood/plant nodes are on land. 

That's it. It's that simple. Standing on a platform (ie the skiff) is just needed to use the fishing skill on the node. It wont be 200 people fishing on a spot any more than there are 200 people at a rich mithril node. They use it and then they're gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

People hyped up on fishing are comparing to other games where you can stand and fish 24/7 instead of realizing how GW2 actually is and how fishing is highly likely to be. 

You're looking at gathering nodes in the water similar to how ore/wood/plant nodes are on land. 

That's it. It's that simple. Standing on a platform (ie the skiff) is just needed to use the fishing skill on the node. It wont be 200 people fishing on a spot any more than there are 200 people at a rich mithril node. They use it and then they're gone.

good point 

but would that not defeat how fishing was wished for if  it's just a node where u spend like 3 sec on and than move on ? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

good point 

but would that not defeat how fishing was wished for if  it's just a node where u spend like 3 sec on and than move on ? 

What are the odds we will get what was "wished for" by a handful of people falling in the same category as every other thread with random ideas to make GW2 not GW2 because of course you can just ctrl-c and ctrl-v on features in other games and done, compared to just expanding the node system? 

Guess we'll know more the 10th of september or whenever that stream was.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

What are the odds we will get what was "wished for" by a handful of people falling in the same category as every other thread with random ideas to make GW2 not GW2 because of course you can just ctrl-c and ctrl-v on features in other games and done, compared to just expanding the node system? 

Guess we'll know more the 10th of september or whenever that stream was.

We have got a lot of features that way. I'm not happy with some as well, as they have changed the game as a whole and leaned it towards directions I tried to avoid by picking this MMORPG. 

Gw2 solves many regular MMORPG things differently, which is probably a reason why it still exists. Compared to some of the LW masteries, the Expansion masteries mostly worked out well somehow. Especially the things that are useable in the entire game (= gliding from HoT and mounts from PoF).

Skiff/Fishing was announced to be useable in all Tyria as well and they basically use this mastery right now to carry the expansion. Using a mere minigame for such an important task does sound a bit weird though. Other MMORPGs were shipped with such a feature. But looking at the previous expansions and how the carry-masteries were executed, I think it is too early to rant about it. Once we are able to test it ourselves, we can make a real judgement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beleron.9347 said:

Its entirely possible that once the novelty wears off, few enough people will bother anyway. If that's the case, the problem will be self correcting.

2 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

That will depend on how valuable the fishing resources will be.

In which case the fishing spots will fill with bots and/or AFKers.

• Thanks 1

I doubt that any open world map instances can even hold 200 players and the people interested in fishing will likely be spread out quite a bit over the megaserver instances of the existing maps so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

Unless they add fishing contests like POF races in which case there'll be some congestion at the start.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

and this is precisely why their are edicating whole guild chat for answering questions about fishing and skiffs... oh wait.

And they dedicated nearly a week of beta testing the same classes we already have with skills and weapons stolen from other classes. 

Hype is just hype.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

testing the same classes we already have with skills and weapons stolen from other classes. 

oh someone wasn't paying much attention to what was going on during first beta of three new especs?

because if you did pay attention you would realize how incredibly funny that statement is.

• Confused 4

13 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

That will depend on how valuable the fishing resources will be.

Unless they pull the kitten they did in HoT with lilies, pearls, and flax, I don't see fish being all that much more valuable over current mats

In fact, making the resource food based is probably going to actually make much of the fish value null on launch

Why pay 5x as much for a food that gives you the same buffs as current "not seafood" based dishes?

There will be a minor spike from whale speculators and completionists and then much of the items will likely end up like sawgill mushrooms or eyes of kormir with supply overwhelming what little demand there is 3 weeks after launch

Edited by Substance E.4852
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Ya, I'm not really sure how anyone can watch the video and not just assume that fishing is reskinned herb nodes you slap with a stick instead of a sickle

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 12:38 PM, Fny.4502 said:

I see no point in fishing and skiffs, honestly. Apart from being useful features for roleplayers. Am entirely underwhelmed by the whole thing. 

I believe both can be fun, to be honest, even though neither was on my wishlist. I agree, however, that it's underwhelming as the selling point for the upcoming expansion.

• Like 2

So I'm not sure who is the animator responsible for the wet noodle like animations of the fishing poles as see in the most recent Skiff and Fishing trailer.  Several times you can see characters cast out lines and their poles wiggle and writhe like they are soba noodles.  Have you ever fished?  Ever used a fly rod?  They do not move like that at all and it is a bit jarring.

I shouldn't be surprised however, since this is the same studio that produced that first GW2 trailer with Eir firing her bow without straight arms and completely off timing for when the arrow was shot.

Fishing trailer: 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 9/3/2021 at 3:17 AM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

They've got a GuildChat stream coming up later this week (I think?) regarding skiffs and fishing where they're supposed to show us how those two features will work and hopefully, HOPEFULLY, the poles will no longer behave like rigatoni. ..but if they do, that's embarrassing.

Yep, they promised to finally talk about alliances since its just weeks away.

So the chat will probably be 2h about fishing and 7.4 seconds on alliances.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

I can't believe they are making this such a thing though. As a lovely 'extra' in an expansion then sure, it's cute and all. But treat as it 's the MAIN feature *shakes head* and do a guild chat on it? I'd rather see about the new mount or *shock* one more thing we haven't seen?

• Like 1

Just saw the Guild chat about Fishing And Skiffs and there was nothing that surprised me and/or enthused me.  Some racing with your skiff, groupfishing that gives a buff so you catch more, silly emoting by your group to boost your Skiff and using the skiffs to form platforms/flotilla's in open water.  Mostly seems an RP feature tbh.   

I do think we will see many new Skiff skins released over time and they seem to be nicely dyable so I do see a revival for using your dyes and coming up with nice colorschemes. 

• Like 2