Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing [Merged]

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I dont even know what people expected. 

We know the waterplane is basic and "vehicles" in GW2 are equally basic. To have good water and ships physics on say Archeage level, the water part of the engine would need an absolutely massive redesign. Which was never realistic. What I'm seeing in the video is pretty much exactly what I expected.

Yeah, I don't even know if these are actually even physics. Reminds me more of those multi-seat benches found within the game. There seems to be very specific spots that players stand that are great for fishing. This could really just be animations and players attached to certain points of the boat. I'm really low balling my expectations. 

• Like 1

The only game I’ve ever done fishing in is Minecraft. You can get some really useful stuff there if you work at it and increase your fishing pole stats but it’s eye crossingly boring. Somehow I don’t think you’ll get such useful stuff in EOD. It sounds like it’s for crafting food and I already have so much free food from festivals plus an infinite cake feast that i don’t have need for more of the same. 

And skiffs? Will they be more useful or fun than skimmers, besides fishing from them? 

hopefully ANet can make these two features fun but so far it sounds like something I’ll do till I get any associated AP then drop and never pick back up. 

• Like 1

I wonder how they implemented the mechanic.  I know, before, that moving on a vehicle was an illusion as it was actually the map that was moving (Arah and SAB).   I don't remember how those look, but they should be in the polishing phase of development right now.  We'll see how it looks on launch (fingers crossed for smooth gameplay).

Quick question.

Would it now be dangerous to be swimming in a body of water that people are fishing in?  I can't imagine getting punctured by several fishing hooks is comfortable.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hugo.4705 said:

Yeah, hope it is the postprocessing and shaders/ reflections or they need to tone down the brightness. It is green hill zone from sonic right now.

They previewed this style when that last fractal came out. Its the colouring they are using. It looked out of place then and I still think it does now. Super Cantha Cartoon Adventure Land here we come!

In all seriousness, it could use normalising though. It’s a tad too ripe to fit the game imo

• Like 1

If I can mount cannons on it and shoot stuff I'd be happy.

I'm not sure they'd be able to make non-environmental meshes customizable in the way you propose, though I'm still not sure how they implemented it.  

Just on the off chance, please put cannons on that list of yours!  Shooting stuff is of vital importance for any boat.  Also, player skiffs can destroy Tidha Covington's gate in a timely manner rather than that crappy Pact ship floating out there.

Edit:

I really want cannons for some naval bombardment action!  Who doesn't want to shoot things on their shiny new skiff?

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mikuchan.7261 said:

... I'm not really excited by what I'm seeing in them.
Realizing it's probably not possible to get ANet to change their design at this point, I write this on the off chance that it might have a chance of happening within the time that's left until release and that ANet demoing skiffs at this point is a disguised way of checking peoples' opinion on them.
I'm also curious about what other people would have come up with.

I think that a really cool way of doing skiffs would be to have them act as a building platform. That way you could truly get your own personal skiff. Currently it only looks like they change skins, like mounts, which isn't really what I had hoped. This has showed up in some games and quite excites me.

So building a skiff, you have your frame of the boat.
It comes with a basic hull and deck, which you can change for more exciting hulls and decks.
Then on top of that you get to place some walls in certain areas if you want. Perhaps make it longer through an extension, trade speed for size make an upper deck on your walled area.
All the dyes you have collected... Yes! Paint the walls and hull of the thing! Each building piece would have its dye slots for your dyes.
On the deck you get to place your neat furniture. Remember all those thrones that you've bought? You get placeable copies of those too!
Place some lanterns on the walls, perhaps between some placed poles. Maybe some fish nets?
Hang up some fish to dry, decoratively of course.
Place seats for your friends to sit on.
Skiff your guild around on a fishing trip, if you can fiddle in enough seats to fit em all!

In short, It'd be a really nice feature with a more customizable and feature rich skiff in my opinion.
Easy to implement? For sure not. But maybe, with some luck, perhaps a dev has already thought about it and started doing mockups and stuff, but didn't get time to finish it. And maybe if people think it's cool they would get to finish it!

People, think of the customizability of this!
ANet, think of the monetizability of this!

This sounds like housing by another means. Worse, it's mobile housing. Imagine the load on the servers with a bunch of these roaming around. I mean, it sounds nice but I strongly suspect that it would be technically unfeasible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've seen a lot of people talking about skiffs as some platform that they can freely walk upon, with player collision being used to keep players upon them. With the video that recently came out, we might have some clues that might not be the case. It might be a good idea to keep our expectations on the lower side. It is important to temper expectations, as it allows for us to be excited by things that go beyond those expectations and prevents us from feeling greater disappointment than we otherwise would have. If we get player collision, I'll be that much happier. If we don't, that is understandable.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Quench.7091 changed the title to Skiffs might not work the way many people think they will.

I'm hoping fishing is going to be a minigame, or even a process:
1. fish
2. cutting/prepping
3. taxonomy/cooking/trophy making
4. eat/decorate
This would be especially cool if one of the unnamed two masteries are player housing. And it might elude to (public) boat housing too, that'd be extraordinary, though its just me being overly positive.

Coz then fish can be used in the rest of GW2 features; home instances, gold trading, chair and toy item (collection/crafting), Guild halls, cooking/crafting, and (hopefully) boat housing.

LA, Crystal Oasis, some guild halls, gots tons of space in terms of bodies of water, if they were summoned and 'dismounted' like mounts but have collision, that'd be pretty sweet. Maybe even have an instanced port in Cantha to customize the boathouse and decorating works like Guild Hall decorations.

Geez, I'm being too positive about all this so don't take this post too seriously (but devs do hit me up if ya'll like the idea assuming you got staff prowling the forums)

1 hour ago, Quench.7091 said:

I've seen a lot of people talking about skiffs as some platform that they can freely walk upon, with player collision being used to keep players upon them. With the video that recently came out, we might have some clues that might not be the case. It might be a good idea to keep our expectations on the lower side. It is important to temper expectations, as it allows for us to be excited by things that go beyond those expectations and prevents us from feeling greater disappointment than we otherwise would have. If we get player collision, I'll be that much happier. If we don't, that is understandable.

When they said up to four friends an alarm went off in my head that made me realize this, the trailer overall was pretty disappointing. 

It certainly wont be as fun as Archeage sailing, which is such an awesome feature wasted on a bad game.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TwoGhosts.6790 said:

All aboard the hype train 😂

At least there's fishing to get excited about though, right? 🤔

I wonder who can be hyped with this video .. Watching players spam F to fish a salmon, amazing! 😆

If they hope to compete with other mmos this year with this ...

I don't understand how they can't understand it, there are so many other things to offer with an expansion, it's sad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

When they said up to four friends an alarm went off in my head that made me realize this, the trailer overall was pretty disappointing. 

It certainly wont be as fun as Archeage sailing, which is such an awesome feature wasted on a bad game.

Archeage as a whole was a bunch of great ideas stapled together into a hot mess.

• Like 2

Honestly I think not many people will be using these features, at least in couple months post the release. It is something new, but apart from guys who post pictures with fish on tinder I don’t think anyone would stick around. The animations for the boats are sure underwhelming, but I suppose that was the only way to implement it

They mentioned they did not unveil everything in the first look, they better because these features are not worthy of being the new content additions. Having nothing else up their sleeve would be a huge missed opportunity.

• Like 1