Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing [Merged]

... So... None at all interested in knowing whether or not skiff can be used as combat platform ? Just me ? Cause it seems like a lot of people dont see the point of them if we have skimmers, but if you can use them to carry a party of fighters during for example... a giant storm elemental in the middle of the sea, wouldn't that actually be fun ? 

I feel like it has this potential, if we only get confirmation it can be used that way : imagine a skiff doing a drive by while the 4 other party members attack stuff it passes by

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Naxos.2503 said:

... So... None at all interested in knowing whether or not skiff can be used as combat platform ? Just me ? Cause it seems like a lot of people dont see the point of them if we have skimmers, but if you can use them to carry a party of fighters during for example... a giant storm elemental in the middle of the sea, wouldn't that actually be fun ? 

I feel like it has this potential, if we only get confirmation it can be used that way : imagine a skiff doing a drive by while the 4 other party members attack stuff it passes by

I mentioned it elsewhere, but I do believe this is a first step to doing more things with boats. A combat platform, guild ships, sailing etc. Im on board for all these

And yes, pun intended

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

just an idea  i would love it and it would look cool. let the skyscale and griffin be able fly down and skim the water and catch it with their  talons well dragon with its claws. i am not talking about it being easy ether timing is everything . could even make a game out of it like the raptor races.

I'll be honest, I'm not particularly enthused by the announcement of fishing and/or skiffs, but I'm glad that the people who have been wanting it for years will get it. :) I remain curious to know what sort of larger role fishing/skiffs might play in the open world, or with crafting. (New food recipes, perhaps? Maybe even Legendary food?)

On 8/4/2021 at 4:59 PM, Josiah.2967 said:

Please tell me these aren't the "big features". Shouldn't these be part of a "Saga" maybe?

not just for a saga since it has broader repercussions going back to core maps, like gliding and mounts. Another such feature is the "jade technology," whatever that is exactly - devs said it'll be expansive to the whole world... we'll see.

I gotta say I was excited when I first saw it. I think we could've gotten more details on it, because when left to the imagination.... you don't want to over hype it, but you want to believe they will do it well. 

I really like the idea of having some more downtime stuff. A lot of this game is combat, yeah there's exploration and jumping puzzles. But not a lot to interact with the world. I'd love a portable cooking pot that you could place before a fishing trip that could offer certain buffs depending what you cook etc. 

Regardless, I'm glad to see it's finally made it's way to GW2. 

On 7/28/2021 at 2:54 AM, Konrad Curze.5130 said:

my opinion on this

LOL

I bet that the guys at New World and FF14 are literally rubbing their hands in excitement right now thinking of  all the cash they are gonna make fromdisappointed  ex-GW2ers 

This could be absolutely true if gw2 implementation of fishing goes sideways, could happen... Or maybe gw2 decision makers took this leap of faith to retain playerbase from leaving gw2 and jumping onto ff14 for silly reasons like fishing hope it pays dividends

Great ideas above! 👍

• Gunboat = Skiff/boat + Siege turtle? (Sea warfare?)
  • Upgraded Skiff/boat (skins + abilities + masteries), can carry more people maybe?
  • Cannons on boats? (upgrade?) Siege prints on boats?
  • Turtles can counter boats? Vice versa? Balance?
  • On the Skiff/boat, turtle can be healed by players by feeding it fish/seaweed (from fishing)
  • The Skiff/boat is repaired by supplies or maybe Jade mined from land?

Any other thoughts? Ideas? 😁

Reference:
Maelstrom ship + canon sea battle (survival, team work, strategy):

Edited by Woop S.7851
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 1:10 AM, Naxos.2503 said:

It would be great.
And later on we would have carriages that does the same thing but on land.

Not a fan of fishing in games mainly because most people do afk and not talk and I don’t really fish in real life XD which is okay for those who love it.. just not my cuppa.

When I think of fishing Mechanics games such as sea of thieves, black desert online I have fished for a while on those games however I’m never great at awkward quick press buttons when it makes me fall asleep waiting for them to catch it’s frustrating when I miss since sometimes it takes longer then 5mins to bite and I have little patients for it. 

and I get it.. it’s pretty hard inventing a realistic way of setting up a mini-game for the fishing feel. just need to ask what makes it stand out from other games such as the ones I mentioned? it would be cool if it was its own gw2 style of fishing instead of a copy and paste of what other games have already done. 

there’s also things other players stated such as what makes it important in the gw2 world? Would there be a fishing track to complete like PVP tracks or player fishing tournaments?  

On 8/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, Naxos.2503 said:

This was my first and only interest in the skiff - combat potential. In my ideal world the penultimate story fight of EoD would involve a fleet of skiffs either advancing against, or actually fighting the final boss, on water. The player could either choose to steer the skiff or be among the combat crew pewpewing the target(s). And like Dragonstorm, it would also have a larger joinable instance where everything is done by players, instead of involving NPCs as the story instance would.

Masteries are so far skiff/fishing/siege turtle.

5 in total. I bet one will be about dragon jade somehow using its energy like ls3 special skills.

And another one about culture, unlocking merchant.

For skiffs, I don't see a lot of possible ways for skiffs mastery: -Stealth skill , -increase speed, -unlock weapon for skiff like a cannon, -increase number of passengers.

For fishing? -New cook recipes, -More efficient bet to capture bigger fish, -Superior fishing rod that can't break.

Siege turtle? -Unlocking gunner place, -Upgrade weapons, -Unlock more weapons skills.

All those sounds interesting. But in sale time it is sad that guilds, since HoT, 2014 are rotting, remaining unchanged. No new upgrades, no new guild missions, no more guild treks, no more guild bounties, no more guild puzzle, no increase of decoration cap, no scribing 500.

And so I really hope one of the remaining features/masteries would lead to at least, unlocking scribing 500. And in better case, new guild treks and bounties in cantha. This content have been rotting for too much time.

• Like 2

Yeah i was kinda hoping for more than fishing platforms when they announced boats in GW2. I would have liked to actually sail between the continents via a specially made sea map. Possibly with some sort of cargo system in the game. Choose between faster airship travel with less cargo or slower sea travel with more cargo. I was hoping for some sort of sea combat as well. Maybe anet has something more planned but at this stage my dreams look like they'll continue to just be dreams.

Edited by Fipmip.7219

They dont look like a boat is moving through the water, rather, that its a skimmer under the boat and the poor creature lifts the whole thing. The boat turns seemingly using the movement of skimmer, it also leaves a similar trail as if air is being pushed against the surface no changes in the water to indicate an actual boat is traversing and the speed of the boats is very unrealistic.

They lack the polish that made mounts so popular.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3