Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Discussion Thread: Skiffs and Fishing [Merged]

There is still time for the polish to be added, given the time to release.

Maybe it is powered by a bubble engine, one of the skiffs certainly moved fast, like it had an outboard motor.

Perhaps that will be part of the skiff mastery system.

What I was happy to see was that one of the skiffs was piloted by a solo player.

Fishing with a group doesn't sound very tranquil to me, I just want to get away from it all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:12 AM, Zaxares.5419 said:

I'll be honest, I'm not particularly enthused by the announcement of fishing and/or skiffs, but I'm glad that the people who have been wanting it for years will get it. :) I remain curious to know what sort of larger role fishing/skiffs might play in the open world, or with crafting. (New food recipes, perhaps? Maybe even Legendary food?)

I'm with you. It's not something I particularly care about. In fact, it sounds like something I would consciously avoid. My concern is that it is going to be absolutely necessary to fish/own a skiff to progress in EoD.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, hugo.4705 said:

All those sounds interesting. But in sale time it is sad that guilds, since HoT, 2014 are rotting, remaining unchanged. No new upgrades, no new guild missions, no more guild treks, no more guild bounties, no more guild puzzle, no increase of decoration cap, no scribing 500.

And so I really hope one of the remaining features/masteries would lead to at least, unlocking scribing 500. And in better case, new guild treks and bounties in cantha. This content have been rotting for too much time.

Yeah. Not sure why this game is called Guild Wars anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, misterman.1530 said:

Yeah. Not sure why this game is called Guild Wars anymore.

Skiff Wars 2022. Honestly though, it's just a game title. Why call it Legend of Zelda instead of Legend of Link?

I am looking forward to fishing. One aspect I enjoy from GW2 is that it keeps trying out new features, instead of rehashing old regular boring mechanic with a different name. I just hope it is not the regular press F gathering.

I've never understood why some like fishing in MMOs so much. It just seems so... inert. Having said that, it'd be nice if the fishing tables includ items other than fish. I'm thinking of the fishing in Torchlight II. Little mini game to reel in at the right time or catch nothing, often catch fish, but you also catch collars for your pet. Could GW2 fishing reward occasional trinkets? Or maybe other crafting supplies? Can't see me doing it if it only provides another cooking ingredient with which to fill up my crafting base.

The skiffs feel like they have a lot of potential. If we can use combat skills from the back of them, I can imagine epic bounties with champion sea serpents/squid/etc. Skiff driver is responsible for keeping everyone out of the AoE circles on the water while those riding throw everything they've got at the champ.

In the preview video the skiffs did look a little odd. Like they move too fast for the kind of boat they're designed to be. I expect they're faster than our skimmers? Is that why we got underwater skimming, so they wouldn't become obsolete after skiffs drop?

One thing I would like to see on the skiffs, more drag on the boat, an angle of bank when it turns + drift and more water splashing out from the front of the boat, currently there is no water being moved from the front of the boat only the back.

Now I do understand the limitations of making the boat bank as you have to have players ontop of it and not kick them off the moving platform, but a slight bank is better than no bank on a turn. It is currently too 'train' like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Maybe over time we can manned  it with cannons , or transform it into a submarine , or a Land Tank .

And a huge , i-know-where-this-is-going-octapuss world boss , where we deploy to one  section of  his body or you can drop zero temperature luquid to create a platform to fight , so we can damage him (+Boss) and then run away with the boat as fast as posible .

Or someone runs to his jumping puzzle body and the rest shoot the cannons to open the way .

Or the boss is running at us and we must fortify a section of the ship .

Or a map event , where people have to split up and try to destroy a part of the octapuss boss/island , EACH DAY  and at the third day  you fight a  "flying/stiingray" monster with many many many teeths looking down to you  . Every10% he will fell on the water , where you can hop on him to damage his eye , before he shooks you off .

Or overworld vs overworld  , major naval battle , with players transform into npcs hoping into the enemies ships , with the goal to deal max damage and get max rewards

When you die , you have to wait 30 sec and the system re-suffle players , till 5 min/500player been killed

Edited by Solitude.2097

... I'm not really excited by what I'm seeing in them.
Realizing it's probably not possible to get ANet to change their design at this point, I write this on the off chance that it might have a chance of happening within the time that's left until release and that ANet demoing skiffs at this point is a disguised way of checking peoples' opinion on them.
I'm also curious about what other people would have come up with.

I think that a really cool way of doing skiffs would be to have them act as a building platform. That way you could truly get your own personal skiff. Currently it only looks like they change skins, like mounts, which isn't really what I had hoped. This has showed up in some games and quite excites me.

So building a skiff, you have your frame of the boat.
It comes with a basic hull and deck, which you can change for more exciting hulls and decks.
Then on top of that you get to place some walls in certain areas if you want. Perhaps make it longer through an extension, trade speed for size make an upper deck on your walled area.
All the dyes you have collected... Yes! Paint the walls and hull of the thing! Each building piece would have its dye slots for your dyes.
On the deck you get to place your neat furniture. Remember all those thrones that you've bought? You get placeable copies of those too!
Place some lanterns on the walls, perhaps between some placed poles. Maybe some fish nets?
Hang up some fish to dry, decoratively of course.
Place seats for your friends to sit on.
Skiff your guild around on a fishing trip, if you can fiddle in enough seats to fit em all!

In short, It'd be a really nice feature with a more customizable and feature rich skiff in my opinion.
Easy to implement? For sure not. But maybe, with some luck, perhaps a dev has already thought about it and started doing mockups and stuff, but didn't get time to finish it. And maybe if people think it's cool they would get to finish it!

People, think of the customizability of this!
ANet, think of the monetizability of this!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'm really skeptical of this expansion. The teaser trailer looked like a Disney trailer. Nothing really stuck out to me besides siege turtles.

And fishing just seems....useless and boring. If the only thing the fishing mechanic brings is just more food, then there's no point to it; especially since the food we have now gives us the same stat bonuses and such. I feel if there was a way to make fishing worthwhile, even then, it would be tedious and boring. 

Compared to Path of Fire, this upcoming expansion just... Doesn't impress me

• Like 1

I dont really have an issue with the design, i assume they will be dyeable, and we know they are getting skins, so that means they can do lots of different boat styles.

Charr metal skiff? asura hover skiff? Sylvari plant skiff? Norn viking skiff? etcetc.

Now, i also hope it was a bad video, but they looked really floaty, and i hope they, like mounts before them, have weight to them like an actual boat does. That is my current only issue honestly.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, zealex.9410 said:

They dont look like a boat is moving through the water, rather

I dont even know what people expected. 

We know the waterplane is basic and "vehicles" in GW2 are equally basic. To have good water and ships physics on say Archeage level, the water part of the engine would need an absolutely massive redesign. Which was never realistic. What I'm seeing in the video is pretty much exactly what I expected.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

We know the waterplane is basic and "vehicles" in GW2 are equally basic. To have good water and ships physics on say Archeage level, the water part of the engine would need an absolutely massive redesign. Which was never realistic. What I'm seeing in the video is pretty much exactly what I expected.

Now you settle down with those realistic expectations, ya hear?

• Haha 1