Tengus

Are they really not going to implement the tengus as a playable race? Do you believe they will anounce it later on or it wont ever be a thing? Im honestly surprised that they added tengus on some quests and even added the tengu profile pic here on the forums, and they havent said a word about it. What do you think?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, linkym.2069 said:

Are they really not going to implement the tengus as a playable race? Do you believe they will anounce it later on or it wont ever be a thing? Im honestly surprised that they added tengus on some quests and even added the tengu profile pic here on the forums, and they havent said a word about it. What do you think?

Im not holding my breath for it, but if they havent shown everything from the expansion yet, only time will tell.

• Like 2

Guys... It's not gonna happen. You play as the Pact Commander in GW2 and there aren't even any Tengu in the Pact, much less commanders.

I'm sorry. I think it would be a cool idea too but I don't think it's possible to implement them at all and still accommodate the story adequately.

• Like 1

My guess is we're not getting Tengus. We're probably never getting a new race, period. Unless they decide to allow you to play through the storyline of the new expansion as its personal story or something. The personal story content is actually quite a bit and I'm sure this is way too much work for little to no reward. Then you add on the requirements of rigging, etc for every item in the game ever, etc to the mix and it really is a lot of work. When I noticed this I was kind of concerned about the amount of hype the community fed itself around Tengu.

• Like 1

Just now, Firebeard.1746 said:

My guess is we're not getting Tengus. We're probably never getting a new race, period. Unless they decide to allow you to play through the storyline of the new expansion as its personal story or something. The personal story content is actually quite a bit and I'm sure this is way too much work for little to no reward. Then you add on the requirements of rigging, etc for every item in the game ever, etc to the mix and it really is a lot of work. When I noticed this I was kind of concerned about the amount of hype the community fed itself around Tengu.

To be fair, its been the single most requested race since the game launched, and the old thread we had before the new forums was one of the most viewed and replied to. Just about as long as the old mega mount thread.

I'm also very certain it won't be done.  I have mixed feelings about tengu being a playable race.  Half of me thinks it's an awesome idea, shut up and take my money.  The other half is "meh" about it, seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.  

Tengu would mean going back and and updating every existing system for it.  Every new system going forward must accomodate a 6th race.  Creating new armors would take much longer than it already does now.  

As far as what goes into the 3d modeling and rigging of a new race, I made a post about it:

On 11/22/2020 at 10:25 PM, Rogue.8235 said:

Rigs are skeleton/joint/IK splines that allow for animation.Rigs are applied to meshes, which means rigs dictate how meshes deform for animations.Animations use IK handles on the rigs to dictate what transformations occur and when.Textures are a component of shading networks, which include many other components to dictate how light would interact with an object.Shading networks are applied to the polygons of a mesh, with UV mapping dictating how the shading network is applied.

And all of that is just the basics that anyone can learn. There are far more complex operations involved with creating a 3d object, making it look realistic, making it move, and allowing it to accept input from a user to dictate how it is all done.

To create the male outfit for a female rig is far more than just applying textures or creating a mesh. One example is weight painting, which would be different for different body shapes to simulate realistic motion.

I regularly use Maya 2018, and what I mentioned in this post is only a small portion of what goes into what you're suggesting.

EDIT: But yeah it would be nice if there was a feasible way of doing this. Tech just isn't there for feasible implementation though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, linkym.2069 said:

If they didn't hype a feature like that today, it's not going to happen.

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why tengu when the player base clearly prefers fishing.

thats bs, the most requested thing were the tengus and the devs know it. Anyways, reading those replies i comprehend that its not coming ever. I was genuinely hyped about the tengu since everyone was talking about it since long time ago. Sadly i think the only thing im excited about the new exp is the fishing and the new mount. Cus seeing those 2 introductory characters to the Cantha story and the villain tells me the story is not going to be so good :(. I guess ill wait and see what more they have to offer. Thanks everyone.

I still think it might happen. I suspect it may have been planned and then scrapped, but I also think it might be part of why there was a delay. There was a drm story with references to the Tengu joining the fight more I think. 

I don't think the personal story is as big a hurdle as some say. We see Tengu in the main personal story already, I think we start seeing them near Orr before the largos show up, it's easy to have your Tengu be sent to join them and sync the story with the rest of the races. Having the player be a revenant is an active contradiction in the story, being a Tengu is hardly stretching things that much.

Can't say I'm too fussed if it doesn't happen. I don't know that I'd play anything but an Asura past the racial personal story anyways.

1 hour ago, linkym.2069 said:

it wont be a thing and imho heres why i'd state this.

it'll by lore make 0 sense that the commander randomly changes race, it'll require a entire new Story and prolly overwriting of the current story to push tengu into the story to begin with.

This game has 0 Race change feature, ur asking people to reroll their entire main, unlock Mulititudes of Elite speccs, recomplete things such as Map completion and ontop of that. breaking the Investment the player has in their character.. none of these are good moves and will generally make leaving the game feel easier to the average player.

its not worth the investment. given the lack of capacity to really enjoy it, no ones gonna reroll mains they've put thousands of hours into and they'll never bring race change to the table, so realistically new races would likely go to waste...

new races in a game that lacks the ability to race change isnt realistically gonna be successful, it'll be a Novelty people mess around with before they simply go back to the orginal race of their mains, the game should be discouraging u from breaking thousands of hours of comittment to the game.. as thats one of the biggest driving forces keeping players in this genre.

Edited by Daddy.8125

Not now, but maybe not never. It appears Kalidris is coming back, and something about a "tengu reporter": reading between the lines they are probably writing back home what's going on in the wider world and in Cantha in particular.

There's probably a reason for that; it's likely build-up to the Dominion of Winds finally opening its doors at some point in the future. But I don't think it's going to happen in the expansion, it just doesn't fit.

Now, there's also no guarantee that those future events result in a new playable race. It depends whether ArenaNet think they can make it work.

1 hour ago, Daddy.8125 said:

This game has 0 Race change feature,

True, but it's not impossible for that to change in the future. (Yes, it's complicated given the personal story, but game designers can be pretty creative.)

Furthermore, having to start a new character didn't stop them introducing the Revenant. I'd seriously consider a race change option instead, though, if it were available, for the reasons you stated in the rest of your post. I've already got one of each profession, easier not to have to start over...

21 minutes ago, Sirius.4510 said:

Furthermore, having to start a new character didn't stop them introducing the Revenant. I'd seriously consider a race change option instead, though, if it were available, for the reasons you stated in the rest of your post. I've already got one of each profession, easier not to have to start over...

i think proffessions are actually different

If a new proffession comes out, this is changing my actual proffession. if a Race comes out i play the same Proffession with a different model.

A proffession release is Asking you to Restart your Work... because ur changing ur work effectively, its rerolling a New main comparitively its honestly very different, there are likely loads of players who wish their main was a different race.. and very few would honestly reroll to play a Race they now have a stronger preference too realistically.

also statistically, Revenant is Miles below every other proffession in popularity realistically, which kinda proves the failures of attempting such a thing,

Designers can be.. but as far as aware, they've already stated a Hard no on race changes because they want to keep things strictly to the racial story etc etc and not alter things or "weaken" plots for the sake of new races.. i just cant see a New race being the successful move for the Majority When u think of trades.

If we get tengu, other content will be cut their budget aint limitless so they have to decide what will grasp the most players, U will have some dedicated players who ofcourse Reroll... and if they fgo further to introduce Race changing. the quantity they'd need to change would Cause further cuts to content.

how small can the expansion acceptably be in trade for this, because thats the real thing here. we will lose content to have such a thing introduced.. it'll be WAAY too time consuming to realistically beleive we'd get all the content and the new race.

New race is another forum "bubble idea" that wont will work, races in GW2 are almost just cosmetics.

Inst like elite specs, that is something that really affect your gameplay, so create a huge more hype.

the cost x impact will be high, high cost(redesign lots of armor) low impact(just a cosmetic feature), and even theres a high risk that implementation will not perceveid as good(whats if they just reskin the charr and playerbase notice it? will be a huge backslash).

I doubt very much players will be in a rush to create a alt in a new race, just to replay personal history with another reskin?

Also theres a huge lore background in-game for each race, have their own personality and presence in the world. Will be weird, a new race that only presence is few NPC in remote areas.

I will never understand people that constantly cry for Tengu. It makes no sense lore or business wise to have them. Yeah, it might be a nice short boom but ultimately why make a race that is going to be less played then humans for a small vocal minority. They already put in less work for Charrs and Asuran as is.

• Like 1

No, it'd be...they'd have to make a new starting city AND starting zone, or do some hamfisted thing like have it be basically a reskin over another race and you pick which city to start in and basically play as a - for instance - human storyline...you're talking about as much work or more than what goes into the core world of the expansion just to introduce them into core Tyria.  Then two new voice-actors to voice the ENTIRETY of the game up to that point, so on and so on and so on.  Look, it's a completely unreasonable expectation at this point.  This isn't the era of Dark Age of Camelot or something where new races were relatively easy to attach to an expansion.  You'd be dealing with new animation packs and having to create new meshes and sometimes all new designs for over a thousand skins that are already in the game...the workload would be ludicrous.

1 minute ago, Veka.8710 said:

I will never understand people that constantly cry for Tengu. It makes no sense lore or business wise to have them. Yeah, it might be a nice short boom but ultimately why make a race that is going to be less played then humans for a small vocal minority. They already put in less work for Charrs and Asuran as is.

I mean, if they're going to give us a new race, it better be Skritt and it better be launched on April 1st just to really rub in how much they're messing with us.

• Like 1

Just now, Endilbiach.4132 said:

I mean, if they're going to give us a new race, it better be Skritt and it better be launched on April 1st just to really rub in how much they're messing with us.

New Elite spec would be bottle lobbler for Engi.

4 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Guys... It's not gonna happen. You play as the Pact Commander in GW2 and there aren't even any Tengu in the Pact, much less commanders.

I'm sorry. I think it would be a cool idea too but I don't think it's possible to implement them at all and still accommodate the story adequately.

There are Tengu in the pact.

Not many, but there are.

The vanilla story even has one as a prominent character at one point and Hot brings him back in Verdant Brink and I believe dragon stand

1 minute ago, Veka.8710 said:

New Elite spec would be bottle lobbler for Engi.

New racial elite would be you turn into a swarm of skritt that's exponentially more intelligent, which translates into like a 10x damage boost for 10 seconds.  But if the ability is on cooldown you have a 25% chance of hitting yourself with your own damaging abilities, and it has a 3 minute cooldown.