High Elves — Guild Wars 2 Forums

High Elves

So Ion said we wouldn't get HIgh Elves in WoW, so how about High Elves introduced in Guild Wars? Most games have elves in their fantasy, but GW has no elves at all.

<1345

Comments

• Cuddy.6247Cuddy.6247 Member ✭✭✭

I think the mursaat kind of filled the role as high elves. They were hostiles, but there's still room to learn about them post mortem.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018

@Mortymes.7139 said:
    So Ion said we wouldn't get HIgh Elves in WoW, so how about High Elves introduced in Guild Wars? Most games have elves in their fantasy, but GW has no elves at all.

1. We have the GW2 version of elves: sylvari. (I like classic fantasy elves better, too, but on the other hand it makes GW2 more unique. Btw, the WoW elves are awful, with their ridiculous antenna ears. This is what a decent elven ear looks like.)
    2. I miss the dwarves so much more. They should be brought back as a playable race! However, judging by the feedback (or lack thereof) we have received from the devs in all these years, it is unlikely we'll ever see any playable races being added to the game.

"What good is battle prowess when you are too dead to make use of it?" - Draco Ud Verik (Human Ranger) | Guild: Order of the Ebon [Hand]
    . My GW2 content charts: (1) LWS 4, (2) PoF , (3) Personal story (pre-Claw Island/Orr) , (4) LWS 2 , (5) HoT, (6) Orr campaign , (7) LWS 3

• Magnus Godrik.5841Magnus Godrik.5841 Member ✭✭✭

I say bring high elves in. Bring midgets, gremlins, orcs, goblins, ghouls, zoras and fat people as well. The 6 can travel worlds, why can't these races. I dont see why anyone would be angry for bringing in new content. Who cares what it is.

• Elva.6372Elva.6372 Member ✭✭✭

@LucianDK.8615 said:
    You are crazy OP, high elves neither belongs in wow nor here.

It's been awhile -but weren't High Elves like the original elves in wow and then they were split to BE's and DE's?

Anyway, GW2 isn't conventional fantasy -it intentionally turns some stuff on its head -and the closest ANet came to traditional was Dwarves and they pretty much killed them off. Dragons are obviously a fantasy element but they are certainly not the fire breathing hoarders of gold that we are accustomed to seeing -more hoarders of elemental powers, etc.

Sylvari are the "tree elf" race -Asura are the the handy little gadget gnomes the Norns are the half-giant, Beorning style race. And Charr are just weird...j/k the Charr are the beast race.

Remembrance, fallen from heaven, and madness risen from hell...

• Lincolnbeard.1735Lincolnbeard.1735 Member ✭✭✭

Have you seen the original sylvaris? They were pretty much elves. They got reworked for a reason.
    sylvari-03.jpg

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

No need for new races. And why is it always something old? GW2 has Sylvari, which is a rather unique concept and I applaud ANet for making something new. Why do we need Orcs, Elves, Dwarves and all the other staples everywhere? I wish ppl would be more creative...

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Swappable Sigils/Infusions on Legendary Weapons
    Contra: ViP-Systems, GemShop flashyness, unfinished releases

• InvaGir.9158InvaGir.9158 Member ✭✭✭

We first need horses, Only then elves.

• Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

Guild wars is not the kind of game where you call "but game X has it, so why not Gw2?"

• microtransactions

Not a game mechanic. In fact, its better because there are no P2W things in there.

• raiding

Then call it challenging group content.

• mounts

Okay, give you that, but at least they’re not lifeless vehicles like in WoW.

• trinity

What? Where? Is it behind the wide variety of team compositions? Sorry.. cant see it..

• DRAGONS

They’re called such, but only a few of them physically are. They’re forces of nature. Comparing them to generic fantasy dragons just is right out unfair.

• dungeons

True, but its kind of hard to make instanced side-stories and not call them dungeons.

But still no build templates. Yes, GW2 is bastion of originality /s

Yea.. still praying to Abaddon for that

yeah yeah yeah, I know, none is original, just rewritten old concepts, exactly like in other games :)

• Feanor.2358Feanor.2358 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Bakeneko.5826 said:

@Mortymes.7139 said:

Lives in a forest, loves nature, one with the trees, speaks with british accent. Sylvari much?

Never been to Valinor, not high elves.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    Elves are the Mary Sue of fantasy races, no thanks.

Exactly.
    The "pretty" race with bug-eyes and useless ear-flaps.
    The "noble" race that's typically xenophobic and snobbish.
    A race that lives super-long lives, but never learns anything.
    No thanks.

If we ever did get elves, I want them to be like Dragon Age elves.
    Dirty.
    Unsung.
    Struggling.
    They shouldn't even have a capital city, just a camp repurposed from an older, better civilization that they're barely keeping from dragon minions or other established threats.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• artemis.6781artemis.6781 Member ✭✭✭

@chrisjfinlay.5614 said:
    Why elves? I mean, Tengu are already in the game and we can't play as them. I'd welcome that first.

Tengu and skritt!

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't want elves, they are generic and overrated. Sylvari is a more unique race.

• Karaha.3290Karaha.3290 Member ✭✭✭

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

Guild wars is not the kind of game where you call "but game X has it, so why not Gw2?"

• microtransactions
    • raiding
    • mounts
    • trinity
    • DRAGONS
    • dungeons

You forgot Weapons, Skills, Levels, XP, Crafting, Humans, Towns, Skins, Nodes, Bosses, Walking with WASD, Jumping with Spacebar etc.
    Your list (also mine) is just basic stuff for an MMO and/or fantasy game.
    Except for trinity, this is only a thing in raids in GW2.

• Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Karaha.3290 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

• microtransactions
    • raiding
    • mounts
    • trinity
    • DRAGONS
    • dungeons

You forgot Weapons, Skills, Levels, XP, Crafting, Humans, Towns, Skins, Nodes, Bosses, Walking with WASD, Jumping with Spacebar etc.
    Your list (also mine) is just basic stuff for an MMO and/or fantasy game.
    Except for trinity, this is only a thing in raids in GW2.

That's because game has no consistent / working tanking mechanic anywhere else. So outside of raids you still have somewhat dps+support coefficiency. It really shows during Serpent's Ire when people are spread properly.

• OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Mortymes.7139 said:

If I understand this correctly, your entire argument about Anet introducing high elves is because a separate game studio didn't put high elves into their own game?

Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

i made a sylvanas-like elf with a sylvari, that's something right.....just a pity of the small ears tho.

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like elves.

Even so I would rather see an existing NPC race made playable than the addition of a non lore friendly race such as elves.

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭

This is an "elf" in Guild Wars.
    The Avatar of Holiday cheer.

Likely a mist entity from Dwayna's god realm.

Not the kind of elf you were likely hoping for.

• Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Mortymes.7139 said:

I know it's offtopic, but his reasoning was stupid. High Elves deserve to be playable in WoW.

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@Mortymes.7139 said:

I know it's offtopic, but his reasoning was stupid. High Elves deserve to be playable in WoW.

I don't know. I don't think WoW really needs yet another playable elf race or allied race. Between races and allied races, we now have Blood Elves, Night Elves, Void Elves, and The Nightborne. So, while adding High Elves would satisfy some people (including myself, from a lore standpoint), it would just be yet another elf race and would be nearly indistinguishable from the already-playable Blood Elves.

As for the main topic at hand: GW2 definitely doesn't need high elves or any other kind of elves. We have the Sylvari, and I like them as our version of elves.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• Hybarf Tics.2048Hybarf Tics.2048 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018

Here in this multiverse high elves are grown inside pods for 225 years then they are born :o

@Last Crysis.1934 said:

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:
    I say bring high elves in. Bring midgets, gremlins, orcs, goblins, ghouls, zoras and fat people as well. The 6 can travel worlds, why can't these races. I dont see why anyone would be angry for bringing in new content. Who cares what it is.

This is not that garbage game WoW. Our community likes the unique races GW's has given us.

Ok give us a manicorn. Half man half unicorn.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:

Yea.. why stop there, though?
    Open the gates to Tamriel.
    Let the beings of Azaeroth and Middle Earth storm in as well.
    And we’ll all have dinner with Captain Hook in Howl’s Moving Castle

Now your being silly with the gates. We all know we need the doors to tamreil. Pft gates.

• Haishao.6851Haishao.6851 Member ✭✭✭

Firstborn sylvari are the highborn elves of GW2.

• coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭

sylvari are GW2' elves, as others have said. I wish we had real elves, but they decided to go that route....

<1345
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.