Hypothetically, if a certain publisher bought GW2, how quickly would you leave?

Zebulous.2934

If GW2 were sold to a cutthroat publisher when would you quit?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How quickly would you leave?

• instantly!
    • stick around until a specific line is crossed.
    • Stay till the bitter end!

If say Gamigo purchased GW2, how long would you stay?  I just watched a little youtube documentary about what Gamigo does to MMOs that it buys.   Once purchased: The publisher drastically inflates the cashshop with all kinds of p2w boosts and every cosmetic imaginable, cuts the game staff in half (at least), and then never invests any profit toward Development.  The game bleeds to death as players desperately hang on due to nostalgia and sunk-cost fallacy.  

While I would like more cosmetic skins and more faces and hairstyles.  I would not like folks buying a potion that doubles your stats for an hour, or the gemstore selling equipment rather than skins.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I have invested a lot of time in this game to simply leave. However, you know that S is hitting the fan if the buyer is:

-EA - Nothing bad said about this company will be untrue. Literally nothing.

-ActiBlizz - The real talent left and the only thing pushing these guys forward is corporate greed creating wealth on the backs of overworked and underpaid staff. Complete lack of passion or vision.

-Epic - Well-known sleazebags with connections to Tencent and capable of extracting personal information without you even being aware.

Amazon - Company owned by one of the richest, most well connected men of earth, throwing its tentacles at everything and polluting it with its filth.

Any of the above can make me quit if it comes to it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Only one thing to do in a situation like that. Hang around in La and ask for people’s stuff when they leave. Then when everyone is gone I’ll have achieved my goal of being the richest player in the game with the most bling. 

Not that anyone will be there to admire my beautyaciousness. It’s the principle of the thing. 

Edited by Just a flesh wound.3589
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12
  • Sad 1

I'd come back if zenimax online studios or digital extremes took over. I play elder scrolls online and warframe and even though I may not always love those games and even get angry at changes or bugs, I flourish and deep and respectful bow to them as they have pulled off things I never thought possible in their games. 😯

Depends on who. There are P2W and all loot box publishers that I would drop this game like a brick if they got it. However there are others that may not be everyone favorite , but they do make successful games that have longevity , those I would stick around for. But yeah any of the scummy monetization games can kiss it!

If the game remain the same or the new publisher manages to makes it even better, I dont know why I would leave.

If however the game become worse for instance :

-lootbox only purchasable with IRL money that gives a straight up advantage to the player

-nerf of already existing stuff to forces you to purchase lootboxes said above

-subscription system that totally ruin the game economy

-global nerf of the HQ item and a nerf of the drop rate of items

-global nerf of the character system. Like needing to pay X amount of Y to change the build of your character

Basically if GW2 becomes what GW2 isnt I see no reason to stay. So far Anet manages to stick to their gun and keep the core mechanic and progression the same through all these year. They didnt powercreep your equipment by making new one that is automatically stronger than the already existing content, they didnt increased the max level of a characters while locking that behind a huge exp grind wall. And if they can afford to do all of that, it means the game is stable enough for them to keep doing that.

But if some random company decides to buy GW2 and makes it even better, as a player I see that as a win, however I doubt there is a publisher other than Anet able to do better without making drastic change to GW2 like mentioned above.  For instance it is easy to say "FF14 does that that and that so much better than GW2" but as far as I know, I cannot just buy the game once and play it forever, there is a subscription fee on top of all the money grab behind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

These is one gaming company that I despise more an the like of EA and ActiBlizz, and that's TenCent.  A company owned by the CCP that's slowly building a global gaming monopoly by buying out western studios and publishers.  That said, its my understanding, limited as it is, that Korean companies will not do business with or sell shares to any of the CCP's proxy corporations, so GW2 is likely safe for the time being.

Wish I could say the same for a few of my other favorites......

3 hours ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I'd come back if zenimax online studios or digital extremes took over. I play elder scrolls online and warframe and even though I may not always love those games and even get angry at changes or bugs, I flourish and deep and respectful bow to them as they have pulled off things I never thought possible in their games. 😯

Always nice to meet a fellow Tenno out in the wild.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

If say Gamigo purchased GW2, how long would you stay?  I just watched a little youtube documentary about what Gamigo does to MMOs that it buys.   Once purchased: The publisher drastically inflates the cashshop with all kinds of p2w boosts and every cosmetic imaginable, cuts the game staff in half (at least), and then never invests any profit toward Development.  The game bleeds to death as players desperately hang on due to nostalgia and sunk-cost fallacy.  

While I would like more cosmetic skins and more faces and hairstyles.  I would not like folks buying a potion that doubles your stats for an hour, or the gemstore selling equipment rather than skins.

no need for another publisher to cut staff in half, anet did that to themselves already

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

anet decided to make a mobile game which resulted into force ncsoft to pull the plug?

There's alot more to it than that, and I don't think we're allowed to talk about alot of it here. But basically, its in ArenaNet's contract that they can buy themselves out and become independant, and I think it was less everything they were working on at the time and more that the potential success might result in this.

We'll never have confirmation of stuff like this btw. Nor what they were working on exactly.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

ArenaNet added ~150 people to work on the other projects; the same amount of people were let go.  Since NCSoft was and is the publisher, they were aware before and after.  We really don't know if it NCSoft's idea to branch out, and then change their mind.  🤷‍♂️

Regardless, the studio didn't lose the amount of people working on Guild Wars 2. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

There's alot more to it than that, and I don't think we're allowed to talk about alot of it here. But basically, its in ArenaNet's contract that they can buy themselves out and become independant, and I think it was less everything they were working on at the time and more that the potential success might result in this.

Really!?  I've never heard that; only that ArenaNet is wholly-owned subsidiary of NCSoft.  Have you any citations?