Why do so many people choose wvw as a 1v1 dueling lobby?

gorgoroth.8360

14 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

You got it backwards. In the OP, the other person who was dueling was the one who got aggressive and complained. Seems like the OP wasn't concerned about anyone being in their way, more that someone chewed them out for helping them in an area they're supposed to help them in. 

What he wrote there was: "I just don't get it, you see your ally fighting another guy, so you jump in to help only for him to back off and and tell you not to interfere." -tbh, doesn't look like anyone got "chewed out" for anything here.

Meanwhile the post I've responded (and specifically quoted above) was this:

3 hours ago, gorgoroth.8360 said:

If theres really such a high demand for 1v1 in the wvw balancing, let them have a duel arena. 
But to camp and brigade an area to claim it as dueling grounds is quite frankly stupid.

There's only 2 viable solutions for those kind of players, either anet gives them their circlejerk arena, or playing a different game.

Hence the question, how is this such a huge issue for him? He didn't know where people are dueling first time he got there? Ok. Now he does. And still nobody says he can't interfere, since nothing about that is somehow "official" -it's a mutual agreement between the people participating in a duel and nothing more. If OP wants to interfere, he can. If his teammate will back off instead of helping him... Now it really should be clear why. All it boils down to is OP's decision. Personally, I'm not somehow hard bent to jump into those dueling zones, since I can easly find people to find around the map. So again, I'm not sure what's so problematic there that OP for some reason only sees "2 viable solutions". I clearly see more.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

That's a lot of assumption even though the original post was plain and clear in the first sentence. 

Of course I made an assumption.  It’s the forums.  🤷

That being said, we have the OP’s side of the story.  There is always three sides:  their side, the  ‘ally’s’ side and the truth.   And I do not claim to know ANY of them.  I have an opinion of what is standard on the forum.  Of course it isn't FACT.  I wasn’t there.  

🙂

53 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Of course I made an assumption.  It’s the forums.  🤷

That being said, we have the OP’s side of the story.  There is always three sides:  their side, the  ‘ally’s’ side and the truth.   And I do not claim to know ANY of them.  I have an opinion of what is standard on the forum.  Of course it isn't FACT.  I wasn’t there.  

🙂

True, fair enough. 

Just remember who they are and don't help them in fights, pretty simple.  I tend to let duelers be, a lot of time I will just sit down and watch because I can learn from them.  There have been times I just came across a fight and jumped in not knowing if it is a duel or not, it is to be expected in a place like wvw.  Half the "duelers" have friends waiting to jump you because they start losing a fight anyway.  Not much honor left in the dueling scene.

5 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

In any case, you might actually wonder why you should give anyone courtesy,

Just want to add to this,
Roamers tend to remember how you treat them. If you respect a 1 v 1, if you corpse jump them, if you dance around with them in Tonic form, they'll remember you.

I don't say this as some kind of threat - but if you're crashing duels, getting heated about it, and keep coming back trying to prove a point or something, you're not going to make friends... On your server, or the one you're against.
And with relinks being a thing, you could be making two enemies at once.

What other people choose to do with their time is their business.
It sucks when you think you're helping someone but end up looking stupid for it, but you'll earn a lot more respect owning it than you will getting mad about it.
Say nothing and leave, or ask if it's a duel. Get no answer? Who cares - move on.

Also, also.
If someone is being a total salt stack going off on you for interrupting the duel... That's not okay either, but it doesn't give you the green light to grief them. Ignore them, or best case scenario if you want to be petty, hang around and throw blueprints on them if they lose any duels.

EDIT:
Not directing this at you btw, @ArchonWing.9480 Just building from your thoughts.

Edited by Shroud.2307
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dont like SPvP because there is too many restriction in your build and skills are often way to different than the PvE counterpart. I get that this is for balance but when you have a skill that goes from 20 sec to 40 sec with a nerfed effect, that is a big yikes.

In WvW if I want to do a hybrid berserk + cavalier for instance, I can which is nice. 1v1 in WvW isnt the issue here. My problem is when people start DMing you about X or Y because you didnt "played like you should" . Little story here :

2 days ago I was taking a sentry to reset my participation and a condi druid decided to gank me when my CD were off. I just ran a bit and seeing that he was capturing the sentry I tried to knock him off the point but it was too late so I just ran. The guy kept chasing me and after a while I had enough and since all my skill were ready, I decided to fight him. I won the fight and got a DM from the Druid calling me a coward and telling me I won because all his CD were off after he chased me. For an hour he kept provoking me to 1 v 1, lecturing me that winning because you wasted all your opponent CD is not a true win (which I'll never understand since HE decided to waste his CD to chase me but whatever)  even though I explained I gain nothing doing it and the 1v1 will not help me doing my legendary armour. Personnally these kind of drama amuse me but I can understand that some people are just annoyed. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

What other people choose to do with their time is their business.
It sucks when you think you're helping someone but end up looking stupid for it, but you'll earn a lot more respect owning it than you will getting mad about it.
Say nothing and leave, or ask if it's a duel. Get no answer? Who cares - move on.

Also, also.
If someone is being a total salt stack going off on you for interrupting the duel... That's not okay either, but it doesn't give you the green light to grief them. Ignore them, or best case scenario if you want to be petty, hang around and throw blueprints on them if they lose any duels.

Honestly though, it's not that big of an issue even if someone gets downed you can just let them res. Usually the best solution is to let your server mate decide to stomp or not and usually nothing will happen unless other people come in and then it would be over anyways.

I do really get annoyed when people in my server or sometimes guild start bming people that they didn't even really beat themselves because it always comes back to me. These are the people that would have died 2v1, 3v1,...., much less 1v1.

3 hours ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

My problem is when people start DMing you about X or Y because you didnt "played like you should" . Little story here

People like that don't deserve anything. But I guess it's a self-fulfilling thing.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

5 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

Just want to add to this,
Roamers tend to remember how you treat them. If you respect a 1 v 1, if you corpse jump them, if you dance around with them in Tonic form, they'll remember you.

Very true. I go out of my way to make someones time miserable if I'm bored and I remember them being a kitten.

The balancing is different because WvW has different adjustments for skills, also WvW is the more hardcore approach because you have full control over your stats instead of an amulet.

I never took the 1vX crowd seriously because the game as a whole is not focused on being a fighting game like Mortal Kombat. If I wanted to show off my gaming prowess of button smashing I would just play that, but MMOs, Guild Wars especially is more resolved to strategy.

Edited by Aridon.8362
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, frareanselm.1925 said:

because the pvp arena in the mists is a kitten all vs all, and you're constatly interrupted by random casuals and trolls.

I don't see your point because that would be the same as any other wvw map other than way less people go to that map.

• Like 2

The behaviour of people interrupting duels for the sake of doing so is a bit like if a roamer deliberately ran alongside a tag that is stealth pushing while the roamer is not stealthed. WvW is a sandbox mode with unwritten rules based on the scale of combat, if the latter example would annoy you because you're screwing up another player's gameplay then don't do the former, and if you do do it just expect people to mess with you for it. 

Edited by Jugglemonkey.8741
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

if not both ppl did /bow or stop fighting, no need to view it as a duel.

it is really a bit uncomfy when they choose EBG or other full maps for duels, bc they waste mapslots that way. but there's the issues... wvw provides a lot of freedom to players, therefore also long afk times and roaming/dueling or gankgrouping (the 5-10 ppl groups who only focus to gank 2-3 ppl at once) on heavily queued maps are not really a solveable issue

like duelers could always move to red border (which nearly never has a queue) but they normally won't do that. the map's terrain isn't useful for blobsize mostly, and they had less issues with interfering players. still, single duels don't take up space and are kinda normal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

More like some players are too cheap to pay for armistice bastion.

To be fair, it's also Anet's fault for not always selling it.

Also they may have other passes and AB really is for if you're only doing WvW.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

17 hours ago, Cyprien.4208 said:

Anet gave them not only one arena but two.... one in obsidian sanctum and one in edge of the mist and still too stupid to learn how to use it.

ANet also gave us Silverwastes and Drizzlewood yet there are an awful lot of lost people in WvW treating it as those.

I'd argue it takes a lot more stupidity to interrupt a duel and not learn from that mistake than it does to not want to use maps designed for pre-planned fights - which duels rarely are.

At the end of the day, people are going to play the game in ways you don't agree with. But as long as it's not against any rules, the only person you're doing harm by being angry about it is yourself. 

• Like 1

I used to duel a lot but not as much these days, mostly roaming and the chance 1v1/X

That said there is a safer option for doing duels in eotm. It's a little known fact but there is an actual arena for dueling in edge of the mists. You can even duel against people in the same server as you. But other than dueling with some guildies I haven't seen anyone else there. I do wonder how many people actually know about it🤔

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 10:18 PM, Shroud.2307 said:

ANet also gave us Silverwastes and Drizzlewood yet there are an awful lot of lost people in WvW treating it as those.

I'd argue it takes a lot more stupidity to interrupt a duel and not learn from that mistake than it does to not want to use maps designed for pre-planned fights - which duels rarely are.

At the end of the day, people are going to play the game in ways you don't agree with. But as long as it's not against any rules, the only person you're doing harm by being angry about it is yourself. 

I've always agreed they are going to play how they like never said they couldn't. You just assumed I did by putting views into it. You're wrong about people treating WvW like Silverwaste, Drizzlewood, Dragon End. They are treated like WvW which was meant to be played like PvP or/and PvE. Which is why you can Roam, PPT, Squad Fight, Kill NPC or even just simply Fish which the devs approve.

Yes, people should play the game as they like In fact. I would love for more people to play the game how they see fit. I want people to have fun and if you are not playing your way it's not going to be fun for you. Just keep in mind you may be killed while doing. 

Edit: I meant to add this but forgot. You got to remember people don't always see it as dual they may view it as a person being attacked so they go to help. 

Edited by Cyprien.4208
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 11:07 AM, gorgoroth.8360 said:

I just don't get it, you see your ally fighting another guy, so you jump in to help only for him to back off and and tell you not to interfere.
Pretty sure the pvp lobby was made for 1v1 combat and still you got people like that circle jerking eachother in wvw.
Is there really an incentive to ''1v1 me bruh'' in wvw?

Players who are too unskilled to win in balanced pvp(spvp) rely on WvW's god awful balance to carry them through 1v1 fights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2