High-tech: "But it's always been there!"

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

...I don't like it...

6 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

And that’s fine...Many other players like it...

For me, those two quotes speak to the heart of this issue. It's a matter of personal preference, one can like or dislike it. Myself, I like a mix of cyberpunk, swords, and magic. That's a genre I fell in love with when the Shadowrun games first came out on Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. Heck, I got all three of the Shadowrun games when they came out on Steam. However, just because I like the mix of magic, high tech, swords, and laser blasters doesn't mean that everyone has to. I'm sure not going to argue about it with someone who doesn't like it. They can voice their opinion. I'll voice mine, and I'll leave it at that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

Notice the connection? Asura.

I still remember the hilarious part where Trahearne tells you that the  pact airships are a combination of Asura, Charr (makes sense so far), and Human technology. Lol, what did the Humans contribute? The air balloons? Amazing...

Yep I notice the pattern.

Norn have done nothing to help advance the Pact.  The only great Norn characters to grace the Pact are there because they punch things and like to drink a lot.  At least they can help advance the science behind fermentation to produce better, more advanced alcohol.  But, nope, they don't even do that.

The only Norn attempting to make any sort of advancement is attempting to cook things with bloodstone dust.  

Even the Sylvari have contributed to Pact technology.  Take a close look at the power distribution of Fort Trinity and you'll see Sylvari engineering.  Not a great amount, but enough to give them some credit.  Fort Trinity doesn't even have a bar, which is something the Norn could have contributed, but failed to do so.

Hmm? What was that?  Oh...yeah... okay so tech has been in the game the entire time and this thread is not about how much the Norn suck.

EDIT:

Perhaps the OP is a Norn.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

16 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Yep I notice the pattern.

Norn have done nothing to help advance the Pact.  The only great Norn characters to grace the Pact are there because they punch things and like to drink a lot.  At least they can help advance the science behind fermentation to produce better, more advanced alcohol.  But, nope, they don't even do that.

The only Norn attempting to make any sort of advancement is attempting to cook things with bloodstone dust.  

Even the Sylvari have contributed to Pact technology.  Take a close look at the power distribution of Fort Trinity and you'll see Sylvari engineering.  Not a great amount, but enough to give them some credit.  Fort Trinity doesn't even have a bar, which is something the Norn could have contributed, but failed to do so.

Hmm? What was that?  Oh...yeah... okay so tech has been in the game the entire time and this thread is not about how much the Norn suck.

EDIT:

Perhaps the OP is a Norn.

Seriously, the least the Norn could do is develop ethanol right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Complaining about certain tech in this game is giving it way too much credit for a cohesive world design.

Both magic and tech in GW2 are largely there for flavor and whenever the story needs a maguffin. It’s clear that no one has given serious thought to the various tech levels and how they interact and that’s okay. This world isn’t for that kind of story.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, xDumplinx.7983 said:

I think it would be awesome to see some of the Canthan technology make it into the original game maps, sort of like a natural evolution of Tyria.

It could lead to whole new ways to utilise old maps

The only problem is, that wouldn't make sense for players that are not at that point in the story (or don't have EoD at all). I think it would be confusing to new players and it doesn't really fit the core game.

But seeing it in maps/story going forward? sounds great.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't agree more man, I find myself hoping Guild Wars 3 is a remake of GW1 at this point. I really want my medieval fantasy to return to medieval fantasy. The thing about the ramping-up of technology in the game world is that at the outset, it was steampunk. Which is a fantasy parallel of the Victorian era. Going from something like the late middle ages / early Renaissance in the first game, to something like the Victorian era in the sequel, makes perfect sense and was easy to digest. But if you can't see the clear delineation between the steampunk stuff the game's always had, and literally just a straight-up modern or even futuristic world that the game now has, I really just don't think you're being honest.

Edited by Elricht Kaltwind.8796
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 11

24 minutes ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

But if you can't see the clear delineation between the steampunk stuff the game's always had, and literally just a straight-up modern or even futuristic world that the game now has, I really just don't think you're being honest.

Ah, so if we disagree with your assessment, we're being dishonest? I see.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Lottie.5370 said:

The only problem is, that wouldn't make sense for players that are not at that point in the story (or don't have EoD at all). I think it would be confusing to new players and it doesn't really fit the core game.

But seeing it in maps/story going forward? sounds great.

Couldn't the changes be client side? After all, depending on how advanced the character is, the NPCs react different to your progress, wouldn't be far off if they did the same with minor props that can't be too interacted with.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Started to try GW1 2-3 years ago. There is a huge difference between GW1 and GW2. Not too bad though. I like that the cities look a bit more advanced. (And liked Old Lion's Arch in GW2 more than the GW1 version. The new one in GW2 already too "modern" looking though.)

The GW1 ... just did not have enough buildings. Maps looked too empty. And cities too small. Tech was fine at the beginning - as stated by OP.

I also do not have a problem with dedicated areas like Cantha - as long as it does not cover all the older areas. Which it does not. Future ... might be worse though - if future maps are all with technology then. Though I can still see them having outposts with technology and areas to explore that look more oldschool without the tech.

Gameplay-wise ... it also seems okay. I do not dislike stuff like the Jade Bot.

The main problem though: The story-telling. I think the communicator already had a negative impact. It is just too convenient and you can skip stuff that might be interesting. (Like manually having to deliver a message where the enemy would try to attack you.) Just fast traveling of all of the troops. In EoD we just suddenly had all of the factions gathered to help - at the end fight. And the main plot was cut down to something not toooo interesting.  (= convincing Joon)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lets look at Gw2 as a whole

• - 62 zones give or take.
  • - 1 or so zones with a futuristic tone
  • - A city with a steampunk vibe, 2 that is pure classic fantasy, 1 that is hybrid fantasy tech, and now a new one with a futuristic tech feel.
  • - The vast majority of the gamer has a classic fantasy setting.

less than 2% of the world with  a futuristic tone is hardly a design shift.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

less than 2% of the world with  a futuristic tone is hardly a design shift.

A shift implies a change to what already exists. No new release will be as large as all content that came before it combined. So, having new content be different, "futuristic," in this case, can be a design shift unless it is an anomaly. Any shift starts with a single step.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

In EoD we just suddenly had all of the factions gathered to help - at the end fight.

It does seem like that but it is because they decided to make a crucial piece of that depend on people doing the echovald meta listening to the optional dialog after a successful run. Although even with that the cooperation is a bit far fetched but it is at least less abrupt

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:28 PM, mythical.6315 said:

Then there’s Cantha. It’s supposedly the most technologically advanced nation on Tyria. It all started with Joon but over how many years?  How does having a power source mean you’re going to suddenly become more advanced?  It’s like Wakanda becoming the most advanced because they have a rare metal. It just doesn’t make all that much sense.

Don't forget that they also had Soo-Won and Kuunavang (Navan) helping them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

Don't forget that they also had Soo-Won and Kuunavang (Navan) helping them.

Yeah with the power source. Becoming so technologically advanced in a short time is a completely different case. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

35 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Yeah with the power source. Becoming so technologically advanced in a short time is a completely different case. 

This is a solid point.

Wales has had coal since before there were humans in the region. Stone age hunter gatherers didnt arrive in the area and immediately develop steam power because they now had access to a power source.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

This is a solid point.

Wales has had coal since before there were humans in the region. Stone age hunter gatherers d8dnt arrive in the area and immediately develop steam power because they now had access to a power source.

The first electric generator was only 191 years ago and look at where we are at now ...

The pace of technological development isn't all that impressive especially when there is also the aide of magic.

What is an actual problem is the lack of farm land. How is Cantha feeding its people?!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

What is an actual problem is the lack of farm land. How is Cantha feeding its people?!

There is plenty of fish. But you are right, there is no farm land. Some rice terraces would have been nice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:00 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Whenever the current amount of high-tech seen in the game receives criticism, there are always those quick to jump in and say: "But GW2 always had magi-tech and steam tech, this isn't new!"

Well... let's compare:

Before HoT, we had a modest implementation of technology:

• waypoints
  • asura portals
  • golems
  • magi-tech labs, calculators, calibration devices
  • steam-powered airships

By now, we have modern high-tech all over the place:

• power plants
  • communication networks
  • the world-wide web
  • a full-fledged electricity network
  • zip lines, elevators, teleporters
  • electronic billboards
  • holographic news and advertisement
  • cyberpunky mechs and bots

I think the difference is quite distinct. It all started with Taimi and her golem, then went on with strange networks in Tarir, then took a steep increase with high-tech labs in Rata Novus, the introduction of G5 comm devices in LWS3, advanced steam-tech in Drizzlewood, and now has reached another high with a new Cantha that is fully being powered by jade-tech electricity.

As such, I think that, if someone doesn't want their favorite fantasy MMO to gradually turn into Cyberpunk 2077, they have the right to voice their dismay.

We have enough of that already in our daily lives! Most people play fantasy MMORPGs to escape just that for a little while, put on their armor, grab their sword and dive into a world void of the stress that our modern, highly technologized world causes.

Think about it...

Sounds like an opinion you're welcome to.  In my opinion, it's fine.  I like our odd mix of fantasy, steampunk, and sci-fi high technology.  I think it's all explained and justified in the story adequately.  It just isn't your cup of tea and that's fine, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

The first electric generator was only 191 years ago and look at where we are at now ...

The pace of technological development isn't all that impressive especially when there is also the aide of magic.

Their pace was over 16 years. 

I guess they eat fish?  I dunno. Considering that you can walk through NKC and see very few citizens, I don’t think they have a food issue. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3