Inacessible but critical items for end game

There are a number of items that are somewhat inaccessible to the average player, but are very critical to certain late game content. I will mention a specific example here, but this is not the only one.

For people looking to raid on many necromancer builds, Tormenting runes and sigils are very important. However, they are highly inaccessible. The recipes to make them are available only as random time-gated drops from Pact Supply Agents (and the recipes for runes is even account bound, meaning people can't even offer to help others). Then, to craft them, you need large amounts of somewhat rare and almost deprecated materials: 100 Pristine Spores for siglis, which drop only from toxic events in Kessex and the Nightmare fractal CM, and only in very small amounts, and 250 Sprockets, which come only from a Home Instance node, a few enemies in Twilight Arbor, and the Marionette event. It's actually somewhat easier to come up with the provisioner tokens for legendary runes and sigils, as they came be acquired more easily than some of these materials, and you aren't RNG locked out of the recipes (although the added cost of the other mats for those far offset that aspect).

This is just one example of items that have this issue. Factors like these make it extremely hard for people to acquire items with these issues, leading to very high TP prices and many people being gated out of playing classes that need them in end game content. These were originally introduced in LW1 or are related to otherwise gated content (festivals, etc.) and are related to content and vendors that are mostly no longer in the game or in game only at specific times. Removing account binding, providing added vendors, and alternate recipes using non-deprecated/non-time-limited materials should be done to increases accessibility. It shouldn't take extreme luck and massive, limited, and time gated farming to acquire things this commonly utilized. These aren't legendaries and should not have the kind of grind associated with legendaries, as they are nowhere near the gain in utility that justifies the grind of legendaries. Some grind and work to acquire is fine, but items in this boat are too much.

Edited by Boogiepop Void.6473
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Why are Runes of Tormenting and Sigil of Torment inaccessible when you can just buy them on the Trading Post for ten gold? 

Something being available on the TP is not the same as accessible. Legendaries are accessible since they can be crafted by anyone who puts in the effort; most people can't craft items like this even if they want to do so because of the multiple issues involved (and again, I used tormenting stuff but it's not the only one) .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Xerxez.7361 said:

If you're Raiding you should easily be able to make enough gold to purchase those items from the Trading Post, but you absolutely do not need them to start Raiding. There are plenty of budget Rune & Sigil options for Raiding.

And if you use them be ready to be booted from tons of groups for not being "properly geared". Yes, I realize this is partly a community thing but on the other hand if it is a thing going on then some adaptation  to deal with it would be healthy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9

1 minute ago, Boogiepop Void.6473 said:

Something being available on the TP is not the same as accessible. Legendaries are accessible since they can be crafted by anyone who puts in the effort; most people can't craft items like this even if they want to do so because of the multiple issues involved (and again, I used tormenting stuff but it's not the only one) .

They cost around ten gold on the Trading Post. What is inaccessible about that? 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

They are not inaccessible, they are in high demand and therefore expensive. You can find cheaper runes that will do basically the same. As long as your dps is acceptable, no one will bother you, let alone ask you what runes you are using. Same can be said for vipers gear. You can easily go for sinister or grieving and still do good damage in raids. You don't need to be optimally geared for raids and strikes unless you want to do CMs.

Edited by civokenes.3284
Typo
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

There are a number of items that are somewhat inaccessible to the average player, but are very critical to certain late game content. I will mention a specific example here, but this is not the only one.

That's not true.

For people looking to raid on many necromancer builds, Tormenting runes and sigils are very important. However, they are highly inaccessible.

Just buy them. 8 gold a piece, there are plenty of ways to make gold in game outside end-game instanced content.

Factors like these make it extremely hard for people to acquire items with these issues, leading to very high TP prices and many people being gated out of playing classes that need them in end game content

There are dungeon runes, that necro can use. RIBA farm is open to even free accounts. Supply is low, demand is high.

These were originally introduced in LW1 or are related to otherwise gated content

It was related to gated content back then, too.

Removing account binding, providing added vendors, and alternate recipes using non-deprecated/non-time-limited materials should be done to increases accessibility.

This is MMO RPG, it is design to sink time.

These aren't legendaries and should not have the kind of grind associated with legendaries,

Buy it. It's not that expensive.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

When I was looking to get into raiding if a group which otherwise seemed like a good fit wanted a specific build I couldn't do I told them I'd maybe come back to them later when I had it and found a less strict group to join instead. I don't think there was anything which would be impossible for me to get, but I think some builds used dungeon runes and I didn't want to spend a lot of time running the dungeon (or even doing the WvW reward track) when I wasn't entirely sure I'd spend that much time raiding anyway. So I got recommendations for easier to obtain substitutes and found a training group which was a lot more lenient on what equipment you started off with (on the understanding that you'd improve it over time as you raided more).

It did limit my options for groups to join a bit, but not as much as my erratic schedule did. And it was probably a sensible decision for me since I never really got into raiding and still haven't done much of it.

• Like 3

Sorry, but this problem only exists in your head OP. 

And to be honest it is hilarious that you are seriously comparing ~8gold a piece runes ( so let's say 65-70g total) to legendaries which won't start below 1.7k or something.

If you already think this is a grind I don't know what to tell you... other than that this is definitely not the game for you.

Edited by Wielder Of Magic.3950
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

"I want the thing. But I don't want to do or pay the amount to get the thing and this is a problem. Please fix."

Wait 'til the Steam release.  I'm sure we'll see many similar complaints.  We already have quite a few now that are much like this one.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Being on the tp makes them even more accessible. You can do any content you want, save money and then buy them. I’m really not sure how you get more accessible than that. 

Not being tradeable and locked behind heavy rng would be a relevant complaint

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Boogiepop Void.6473 said:

And if you use them be ready to be booted from tons of groups for not being "properly geared".

You say tons of groups, and I'm just gonna straight up say you're being disngenuous. I have literally never seen someone get kicked for their runes or sigils. There are budget options that are perfectly acceptable, and you can save a couple gold for the ones you want. Knowing your class and rotation is monumentally more important than being in perfectly optimal gear.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Something being available on the TP is not the same as accessible. Legendaries are accessible since they can be crafted by anyone who puts in the effort;

So you are saying that a legendary rune with a cost of 400g is accessible

...but a Superior Rune of Tormenting with a value less than 10g is not?

lol

Never change GW2 forums.... never change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Except buying a full set of 6runes+2sigils vs crafting them yourself is only ~1g difference. The difference between buying and crafting a legendary is in the hundreds of gold.

The fact that you missed an easy and abundant source of sprockets and the spore prices having fallen below their pre-EoD prices just points to ignorance.

• Like 1

The only "issue" here seems to be that you need to play the game relatively consistently and check those npcs (or even not play/check the npcs but instead keep checking offered items on the site and then log in once when it's available for purchase). If you "want it now", you can easly buy it from tp with not exactly a huge price difference when compared to craftin them. I fail to see how this is hard to access.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

You state that Pristine Toxic Spore Sample are only obtained from toxic events, yet one can just gather them from the abundant resource nodes in the map, among other ways to obtain them.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pristine_Toxic_Spore_Sample

You also neglect to mention any of the other ways to acquire Watchwork Sprockets.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Watchwork_Sprocket

It is always best to include all the information, so that you don't appear so biased. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The toxic spores from Kessex Hills appear on the map in 4-6 randomized places usually. You can also get more than one spore out of a location. What I do is go there with alts because once you found the location of them at that time, your alts can go there and farm them as well. 

So it doesn't really take me that long to get 100 toxic spores to begin with. Two days tops.

4 hours ago, Boogiepop Void.6473 said:

For people looking to raid on many necromancer builds, Tormenting runes and sigils are very important. However, they are highly inaccessible. The recipes to make them are available only as random time-gated drops from Pact Supply Agents (and the recipes for runes is even account bound, meaning people can't even offer to help others). Then, to craft them, you need large amounts of somewhat rare and almost deprecated materials: 100 Pristine Spores for siglis, which drop only from toxic events in Kessex and the Nightmare fractal CM, and only in very small amounts, and 250 Sprockets, which come only from a Home Instance node, a few enemies in Twilight Arbor, and the Marionette event. It's actually somewhat easier to come up with the provisioner tokens for legendary runes and sigils, as they came be acquired more easily than some of these materials, and you aren't RNG locked out of the recipes (although the added cost of the other mats for those far offset that aspect).

This is just one example of items that have this issue. Factors like these make it extremely hard for people to acquire items with these issues, leading to very high TP prices and many people being gated out of playing classes that need them in end game content. These were originally introduced in LW1 or are related to otherwise gated content (festivals, etc.) and are related to content and vendors that are mostly no longer in the game or in game only at specific times. Removing account binding, providing added vendors, and alternate recipes using non-deprecated/non-time-limited materials should be done to increases accessibility. It shouldn't take extreme luck and massive, limited, and time gated farming to acquire things this commonly utilized. These aren't legendaries and should not have the kind of grind associated with legendaries, as they are nowhere near the gain in utility that justifies the grind of legendaries. Some grind and work to acquire is fine, but items in this boat are too much.

Then again, I kind of doubt that the average player is getting in to raids and similar high-end content so the issue seems a bit moot....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

The only critical item for WvW is your brain, but granted people often dont even bring that.

Hey stop it with that gatekeeping. I save my brain for cat videos.... and wasting enough time complaining on the forums of which I could have used to actually fix the problem.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4