Please have option toggle to disable mechanist mech and turtle [Merged]

ardhikaizecson.3697

1 hour ago, Katsugankz.7156 said:

Would be nice if everyone's mech but your own showed at roughly a third of its current size. Hell, add an option to make yours the same size too, they're way too big to be ever present in combat.

I like this. Having others' mechs look like minipets such as Professor Mew would go a long way to address the issue for me. We would (might?) still have the ability to see the mech for positioning and the like but with less clutter.

• Sad 1

While the mech is really big, it's also really thin. Clearly, ANET didn't consider the size a problem for that very reason, then proceeded to assume that was all the thought that was needed. Even if l haven't minded it personally, options are always good.

Something that I have noticed myself is that the turtle is programmed to fade out if it's in the way, but this never happens to your own turtle. Thus meaning ANET put in that technology, and then...didn't apply it to anything else? That there is easily something they can apply to other players' mechs, not to mention all the other things people would want it applied to as options.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:18 AM, Voyant.1327 said:

Pets shouldn't take up more visual space then the characters themselves.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:30 AM, Mungrul.9358 said:

And this is something the team originally knew and adhered to when they created Necromancer and Ranger.

That they forgot this is telling.

I believe you two got it right.  A bunch of rangers idling a Ministers Waypoint is unusual, but it doesn't feel cluttered, whereas just three mechs feels crowded.  It is the size, and even the color, of the things. The ranger pets are all fairly muted colors.  Even the most vibrant pet cannot stab the vision like Jade mechs do.

Imo the wings of the skyscale make it too big while it is on the ground.  If you happen to be standing behind a skIyscale you will know what I mean.  I want to say that the turtle could stand to be smaller and still carry two people.  I suppose a smaller siege turtle would feel less like a mobile fortress, but I kinda thought it was supposed to be a tank.  Is a siege turtle bigger than a charr tank? or does it just stand taller?

I suspect that if Anet offered an item to reduce pet size by 1/4 or even 1/2 a large portion of pet users would buy it.  It may even be amusing to have a ranger's owl the size of a humming bird.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Problem: There are too many mechs absolutely everywhere.

Solution: Recall Mech should activate automatically outside of combat.

To quote the BoBs of Bungie's Marathon:

"THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!"

And this is not a mechanist post, but rather one about improving the game's visual experience for everyone.

I would also accept shrinking them so they're a half to a third of their current size.

And kill the obnoxious green (mech dye channels seem like a no-brainer).

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The problem is size and variety, you don't really see people complaining about Ranger the same way do you?

That's because Ranger pets are much smaller and less obnoxiously in your face all the time.
And also because there are many different Ranger pets so you don't see tons of the same one constantly in every fight.

The Jade Mech really needs some alternate skins if you ask me, much like they are doing with the new Jade bots.
I know a lot of people have already asked for racially themed mech skins like an Asuran Golem or a Charr steampunk kinda of golem which would be pretty great to see.

But I also think the Golem could do with a bit of a size reduction as well to make it less of a constant in your face thing.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I know a lot of people have already asked for racially themed mech skins like an Asuran Golem or a Charr steampunk kinda of golem which would be pretty great to see.

Yeah, I suggested that too, but the usual forum police shot it down.

Clockwork knights for humans, golems for Asura, steam beasts for the Charr (like the ones roaming Lornar's Pass) and something like the Juggernaut from GW1 for Sylvari.

Norn could have totemic, animated statues in the form of the spirit animal they chose during character creation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just give me a toggle to display profession specific garbage, me/party/everyone. There's absolutely no reason to see ranger pets, necro minions, mech mechs, virtuoso daggers, catalyst orbs, engi turrets etc. in pve.

Yeah, I get it, it's nice flair, but we're at the point where it's getting oppressive so it needs an optional display limit.

Hell, could even do that for pvp modes, we already have settings that turn others into nameplates only.

Edited by rune.9572
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Yeah, I suggested that too, but the usual forum police shot it down.

Clockwork knights for humans, golems for Asura, steam beasts for the Charr (like the ones roaming Lornar's Pass) and something like the Juggernaut from GW1 for Sylvari.

Norn could have totemic, animated statues in the form of the spirit animal they chose during character creation.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking for the golem themes as well.

The Norn most of all give me some creative block though, totemic golems definitely works though.
Or perhaps a Golem of stone, that is animated by magical runes on it's body or something.
Both would fit with the more Nordic theme of the Norn.

Considering at this point we have Unicorn Griffons, Kirin Sand Jackels, Bull Sand Jackels, Humming Bird Skimmers, Chocobo Raptors and so many other drastic mount skins that don't reflect the animal the mount is based on, not to mention anime cat Jade Bots now.. I really don't think it's a big deal to have Jade Golems that look nothing like Jade tech lol

Anet yeeted itself down that road a long time ago so why bother stopping now lol

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Haha 1

Just now, rune.9572 said:

Just give me a toggle to display profession specific garbage, me/party/everyone. There's absolutely no reason to see ranger pets, necro minions, mech mechs, virtuoso daggers, catalyst orbs, engi turrets etc. in pve.

Actually, you've just reminded me of how Diablo 3 manages stuff like this. Other players' minions / spawns etc. are transparent, reducing their visibility.

Adding that as an option for GW2 would be welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem is two-fold:

1. The Mech is too big. Its the size of the largest Charr or Norn, and dwarfs Humans and Sylvari let alone Asura.

(I would also argue that Ranger pets are too small, on average.)

2. There's no alternate skins or dye channels available.

3. Its effects are excessive. The thing is completely loaded down with particle effects, especially when its flying around instead of walking.

Just removing the mech out of combat won't solve any of these problems.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

I'd like to see different sizes for mechs and different looks for mechs. We could use our Jade Bots as our mechs? There are other styles of mechanical things already in the game we could use to start with. They could repurpose a copy of the Ranger pet interface for mechs to pick the active look. There are some minis that are mech looking.

I just recently made a Mechanist build and really like it, but I'm not a fan of the big green football player that follows me around. 😞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teratus.2859 said:

The problem is size and variety, you don't really see people complaining about Ranger the same way do you?

That's because Ranger pets are much smaller and less obnoxiously in your face all the time.
And also because there are many different Ranger pets so you don't see tons of the same one constantly in every fight.

The Jade Mech really needs some alternate skins if you ask me, much like they are doing with the new Jade bots.

But I also think the Golem could do with a bit of a size reduction as well to make it less of a constant in your face thing.

like the first tier of traits that change the arms they should have the next set of traits change the lower half and upper half and allow people to dye at least the metallic rig.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

Its like they threw out the art direction, how did they talk themselves into giant green everything. I kind of shudder when I wonder if the next thing is that grotesque amber colored tech everywhere.

Tbh I'd have preferred Amber over Jade.. the abundance of green is a bit of an eyesore if i'm honest.
Amber probably would have been the same though if it was everywhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

Its like they threw out the art direction, how did they talk themselves into giant green everything. I kind of shudder when I wonder if the next thing is that grotesque amber colored tech everywhere.

I also don't love the generic stock dagger templates floating over virtuoso. The shatter 4 block skill with the million sword flying around is not very...aesthetic too.

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 2

I wish there was an option where default state was stowed. I've been playing engi lately & my own mech often annoys me. It isn't even necessary most of the time. If stowed was the natural state it might hinder afk farmers because if they are downed & someone reses them they are useless afk.  

• Like 1