Skyscale Requirements is ludicrous [Merged]

Just now, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

yeah but here is the thing, skyscale is a premium end game long term objective, its designed to be long running, its designed to satisfy the needs of those looking for long term objectives with a nice reward at the end.    When someone argues 'I want a quicker track for a long term objective (and ignoring the fact there are many ways to actually fast track skyscale) then in effect this boils down to :

I want to treat a long term objective as a short term objective in a way that suits me, which ofc makes no sense.

I don't think so, since there are 'in game' activities only possible with the use of this mount.

• Confused 12
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

I don't think so, since there are 'in game' activities only possible with the use of this mount.

You think wrong then.   long term objectives with occasional gating has been part of Anets Core design principles since day 1 of GW1 and tbh its pretty minor compared to every single other AAA mmorpg on the planet.  Your problem is you don't like the format of the long term objectives  but you really want the reward.   Which is fine, either you don't do it (the reward does not equate to the time cost for you) or you do it but gradually over time, or fast track what you can.  What you want however is indeed the following:

''I want to treat a long term objective as a short term objective in a way that suits me'  e.g  'I don't think so'

ps you can do every single other activity in the game without skyscale (user other mounts), that's strawman number 2.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

Genuinely curious what requires the skyscale? I had about 500 hours in game, did the whole story, taken part in most of the meta events, all before I had mine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

No, you thing wrong... First because you don't think for me, you don't even play for me and you'll have ideas for me. I already wrote here and I repeat, argument and 'reedit warrior' I don't even discuss. I just ignore.

Finally, nothing written in this thread changes facts. It's no use getting mad on the internet.

Here I already explained what I think, I don't have the slightest vocation to tutor 'reedit warrior'. Ended here. Otherwise, respect the forum rules.

all deflective ad hominems, i was arguing against your 'I dint think so'  to long term objectives not being long term objectives  because of your strawman that its a must for some activities in game - which is objectively wrong.  Skyscale is evidently and objectively designed as a long term objective, the format (gating or not) doesn't change that fact. 

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Thanks 8

4 hours ago, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

Ah, i need to mention: Skyskale is FULL pay to win.

How is skyscale pay to win? Did you by any chance pay someone real money to do the collections for you? If so, I got some bad news for you 👀 I’m genuinely curious why you think it’s pay to win. And what exactly do you win? There is no content in this game you cannot do without the mount. If you claim it exists, then please provide me the part of this game where you need one. I’m not sure if you’re serious or a troll, so here we are. I got my troll spray ready 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

Now and back to Skyscale: nothing that everyone wrote here changes facts and the facts are simple - there are a lot of quests, objectives, until you conquer this mount and they (a lot of quests and objectives - that's the fact) - in my opinion - this immensity of quests, they are repetitive, tiring (this is just a personal predilection).

It could be minimized. Nothing more.

But what I've been finding 'amusing' in this forum (it doesn't differ from others) is that, all it takes is for someone to point out or narrate a fact - a fact - for others to get upset and try to convince - by shouting (without reasons) that these facts are no longer facts by 'point of view'.

Fact: There are numerous quests for a mount. Simple.

I don't think anyone is disputing the "fact" that there are numerous quests for a mount.  What is being argued is your opinion that they are immense, repetitive and tiring and that you believe that this could be minimized. 

Opinion =/= Fact

• Thanks 9
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Evildeadedd.7128 said:

Genuinely curious what requires the skyscale? I had about 500 hours in game, did the whole story, taken part in most of the meta events, all before I had mine. 

I am curious as well. I have more than 10k hours in game and have never bothered to get the skyscale and dont recall being blocked from anything. Perhaps I just havent noticed the gated content.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 6

On 12/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

Fact: There are numerous quests for a mount. Simple.

The only thing that most will agree with you on. Aside from that, most of your assertions are highly subjective. Hardly anyone agrees with you. Are you wrong? Maybe not. But it is just your opinions. Anyone that presents any argument to the contrary, you'll claim they are wrong. And accuse them of  "Of course, you would attack the interlocutor, throwing off the idea being discussed. Anyone who treats topics like 'reedit warriors' can only produce this, personal attacks on the forum." That is exactly what you are doing.

Not everyone thinks the quests are bad or there won't be any debates whatsoever.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:09 PM, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

It's not about 'simple puzzles, but complex, repetitive, boring, monotonous tasks... can I imagine a child wanting to play the game and having to go through it?

I enjoy scavenger hunts. And I'm sure there are children who enjoy them as well. You mentioned you have kids who play. Have you tried getting them to do the quests by themselves? Wiki the locations so they can refer to them if needed (all the quest locations have maps). They might just love running around looking for the items. What's repetitive and boring for you, it might be lots of fun for them.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

For me, for the amount of resources that I need to spend ; Buying PoF expansion, buying LW4, in-game resources, and time, Skyscale is really disappointing. I expect Skyscale to be the best aerial mount, a superior version of griffon. But to me, Skyscale become nothing more than a vertical ladder that is better than Springer in most cases, a better horizontal ladder than Raptor, and a height-gain tool for Griffon. I do enjoy the questline and I have no problem in the requirement, however I just wish Skyscale to be a helicopter that can just hover up and down without worrying about the flight bar being empty. 

• Confused 1

I even logged in for this 🙃

To the mention of WoW and dragons there - to my humble opinion WoW can’t even compare regarding the mounts with Guild Wars 2. I didn’t play much with new addon, but I have something like 15-20k hours (I have around 10k only on my main) playtime in WoW, and few hundred mounts, including rare ones. WoW’s mounts - useless and bland, even Drogonflight can’t change this. The same with all of WoW classes. And it’s fun to hear about WoW and how it’s less grind than GW2. I think only something like Lineage is more grindy than WoW. And GW2 - one of the less grindy MMOs on the market, period. In GW2 you have useful mounts - complete your quests for few “sub-group” of mounts, and mastery’s, and play as you want. WoW… water-walking one from Pandaria - kitten horrible grind. Every rare ones, like dragons from BC - grind-month or so. So yep, compare GW2 and WoW about their grind-level… you can grind one time in GW2 and achieve your useful and interesting mount, or you get cheap parody from WoW-Dragonflight and grind-grind-grind for weeks and months for something minimally interesting. I dropped WoW after 15 years of pretty hardcore gaming, I’m too old for that much of useless grind. So yeah…
You don’t need any non-main story mounts for anything that don’t mention this particular mounts, and basically - special content for mounts. Not the content for which you need mount (not the best description from me but I hope it’s understandable). You don’t need to complete content for mounts if you don’t use those mounts. 
In the end, GW2 — VERY light on grind, and it’s useless to compare it with something else, because everything else objectively MUCH more grindy and time-consuming. It’s a fact 🙃

Edited by Loules.8601
Typos
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

Although this is just from forum frequenters, this poll suggest that about 70% think the quest is fine or not hard enough. This is a reflections of the playerbase as a whole even if you would to take a certain percentage to account for the margin of errors.

The problem with forum polls is that there is inherent bias of the statistical sample.  Thus, forum polls cannot be extrapolated to the general population.  The most obvious bias is that forum polls are completed by people who post on the forum.  The demographics, preferences, and behavioral demographics of the forum population is not necessarily the same as the general population.  

When reviewing statistics, sample randomization is the first thing that must be critically assessed.

As for the topic on hand, I see no problem with the skyscale acquisition.  I started working  on it a bit, and got it without focusing on getting it.  Not sure how long it took, but I wasn't worried about that.  I think the skyscale is only perceived as a problem when a player attempts to get the skyscale within a few days.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

The problem with forum polls is that there is inherent bias of the statistical sample.  Thus, forum polls cannot be extrapolated to the general population.  The most obvious bias is that forum polls are completed by people who post on the forum.  The demographics, preferences, and behavioral demographics of the forum population is not necessarily the same as the general population.  

When reviewing statistics, sample randomization is the first thing that must be critically assessed.

That's why there's such a thing as margin of error to account for the samplings. Of course, you can extrapolate it to the general player base. That's what Survey/Opinion polls are and often there are inherent biasness. It is never random. You do a phone survey, it requires someone with a phone who would respond to surveys. Magazine surveys require someone who reads them. And the lists goes on.

Aside from GW2 having a player poll when you log on, the only place for polls to assess players' opinions are from forum.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/6/2022 at 12:01 PM, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

Ah, i need to mention: Skyskale is FULL pay to win.

It's becoming embarrassing... 😂

If they make Skyscale quest easier so i want the legendary armor set for 100G 😂

Edited by Peter.3901
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I came back to the game last year around Oct and played through all of the Core, HoT and PoF content and stories without the need for a skyscale. Bunny and Raptor made life a whole lot easier and I was content with them. When the LWS stuff went on sale around Feb or March this year, I decided it was time and took me about a month or two of casual play collecting and crafting everything on my own.  It didn't get boring because I never made it boring. There is plenty of content going on I run in parallel. So to me, it wasn't ludicrous at all considering there are way longer collections/grinds than Skyscale in the game.

• Like 6

Personally, I could go for 1 less collection right in the beginning. Running all around Dragonfall 3 times was really tedious to me. Other than that, I generally enjoyed all the other parts of earning the Skyscale.
I might have a different opinion had I done the quest line prior to the "Return to" achievements. But as is, it wasn't too bad of an experience. And I use the Skyscale every day, so it was well worth it. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:07 PM, Evildeadedd.7128 said:

On 12/6/2022 at 10:32 PM, Ashen.2907 said:

I am curious as well. I have more than 10k hours in game and have never bothered to get the skyscale and dont recall being blocked from anything. Perhaps I just havent noticed the gated content.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Reality_Rift
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vision_I:_Awakening

500 and 10k hours well spent I guess 😂

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 12/6/2022 at 3:09 AM, Iskras Femme.1693 said:

It's not about 'simple puzzles, but complex, repetitive, boring, monotonous tasks... can I imagine a child wanting to play the game and having to go through it? It's just bad decisions by people who don't care about their community, who don't care who plays the game. But that's just my opinion, which I share with absolutely everyone in my huge in-game guild, everyone is unanimous about it.

The fact your missing here is the definition of reasonable time investment and worthwhile content differs massively between the average gamer and the average MMO player. You see tedious, they feel occupied/busy.  That's not an argument you can have because its comes down to a fundamental worldview difference.

• Like 4

On 12/6/2022 at 1:07 PM, Evildeadedd.7128 said:

Not sure if you've been answered but Skyscale is only required for a legendary collection.  Otherwise it's just very convenient to have as a navigation mount.  It's arguably better than the springer, and when combined with Griffon, you can soar across maps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Definitely well spent.

A trinket that I have no interest in or use for and a minigame. Thanks for the information but no loss to me.

So you spent 10k hours in this game, never pushed for vision or skyscale yet you feel the need to comment on skyscale requirements thread? Amazing 😂👌

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I don't understand this "pay to win"-debate. I find it always only funny:

1. People spend money to buy a game
  2. Some of them spend more money to finish it faster, i.e. to play less
  3. The ones who do not, complain about them instead of laugh about them 🙂  or are happy about them, as they finance what they play.
Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2