Would you like A-Net to allow more mods?

Your say on modifications...  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like more mods?

• Yes! More mods, such as...
    • No. The ones we have are plenty.
    • Undicided
    • I don't think ANet wants that
    • Wait. What are mods?
  2. 2. Type of Mods if you answered yes.

• Music and Sound Effects
    • Skins
    • Visual Effects
    • New Mounts
    • Abilities, such as climbing walls, etc
    • Other misc mods.
    • I chose no, or other options.
  3. 3. Good opportunity for ANet cash in on other mods?

• Of course, it's their game.
    • No. It's hard enough to make them.
    • Maybe, it's up to them really.
    • I answered no to the first question.

20 minutes ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

I would use a mod to disable infusions and some visual effects to make this game immersive, because fighting besides a walking supernova kills my immersion.

I am pretty opposed to mods in general, have played vanilla since beta...... but this one, I would definitely use.  The ability to turn off the walking glowsticks/confetti bombs would be wonderful

Edited by neighto.7386
  • Like 17

3 minutes ago, neighto.7386 said:

I am pretty opposed to mods in general, have played vanilla since beta...... but this one, I would definitely use.  The ability to turn off the walking glowsticks/confetti bombs would be wonderful

They paid hundreds of dollars to look like xmas trees so you can LOOK AT THEM DAMMIT.

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Like 2
  • Haha 12

10 minutes ago, neighto.7386 said:

But...how will you see me....

Lol in all seriousness, I am not a fan of mods overall, but I would fully support more toggles in game for this kind of thing.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Mods are a grand thing because they're made by passionate people for other passionate people, which no company can even fathom to ever come close to, be it in workforce or, many times, said passion, too.

The choices in the poll are a bit too invasive, aren't they?
What I envision would be what I'd loved in WoW - the malleability of the UI.
Dug up some ancient sshots for illustration:
here's the default layout (the only option of the vanilla UI was turning on or off the additional hotbars - the top row)
and here's a very tamely modded one.

As you can see, there's a Grid add-on to see the entire raid (customizable to show the amount of absorbs, incoming healing, DoTs... literally everything needed including the tiles acting like a targeting said person),
a CD tracker I can't quite recall the name of,
the bread-and-butter of raiding at the time - Deadly Boss Mods - contributing the timers and alerts for fight mechanics, automatic callouts (like you see Shadowned in the chat proclaiming "Malleable Goo on me!") for targeted spells, and a bunch of other stuff,
and the hotbars looking very different - and transparent unless moused over - while being able to be put literally anywhere thanks to Bartender.

But virtually every aspect of the UI could be customized, from the (mini-)map (starting at simple visual tweaks done by SexyMap to things as extensive as Carbonite, which was more or mostly less what Blish does in GW2) to bags, browsing the game's item database, chat turned into Messenger with stored conversations, personalized windows for whispers...
You can just browse CurseForge and salivate over the sheer amount of things there, not to talk about their functionality.

There have never been any gameplay changes, though, as the majority of the poll's options seems to be suggesting.
Which is a pretty ridiculous proposition to start with for a multiplayer game of MMO proportions, and should definitely stay within the offline realms.

As for the cash-in question: I voted yes, because everybody profits from people enjoying the game, if indirectly.
SHIKASHI.
In case EA.net rises from its slumber in another cycle of devouring greed as it's been the case with the Build "Templates" - which is not even a kitten anymore, but a full-grown feline apex predator - there should be no mercy.
People deserve more than this nonsense, even if they don't know any better.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Well, mounts and abilities definitively won't happen. This is an MMO, not a single player game.

Visual things are *conceivably* possible, although it would be something that you would only be able to see on your end, not anything that other players would be able to see.

• Like 2

I'd say no to any and all mods.

If you allow mods to change what you see, then you'll be seeing something different than those without those mods. Is that charr in crappy armor really a charr in crappy armor, or does the player see them in some really cool armor? And yes, the mods make YOU look how you want to look, but only if other people have the same mod. That's bad.

Worse, if they allow a mod to turn off infusions, then that means they have much less to lose by putting in something truly eye-bleeding. If people don't like it, they have the option of tracking down the mod and using it.

Mods that give new abilities are a flat "HELL NO", and I don't think I should have to say why.

What ANet needs to do is stop and consider VERY carefully what they need to change, and then change it. This game has some serious age on it now, and the UI is mostly unchanged despite all the stuff that's had to be shoved into it. They need to decide how off the rails they want the Fashion Wars go to, and in which direction, then STICK TO IT!

And so on.

Personally, I'd love to see them add more for RPers. Emotes, a biography field, maybe a lounge that's just a big hangout space set up for RP. All of that needs to be in the actual game, though. Not mods.

With mods, the players slowly break into the "have" and "have not" groups for them, playing basically different versions of the game. That should be the last thing ANet wants.

• Like 7
  • Confused 4

On 12/30/2022 at 11:56 AM, Antycypator.9874 said:

I would use a mod to disable infusions and some visual effects to make this game immersive, because fighting besides a walking supernova kills my immersion.

Oh boy, here we go again with "mah immersion".

I mean, if you simply think they're an eyesore, alright, but game immersion though in terms of player characters went out the window since launch. People have always been able to create out-of-lore characters.

• Like 6
  • Confused 5

26 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Oh boy, here we go again with "mah immersion".

I mean, if you simply think they're an eyesore, alright, but game immersion though in terms of player characters went out the window since launch. People have always been able to create out-of-lore characters.

Even if he thinks that's an eyesore... unofficial skin modifications is cheating and should cause an automatic ban. The game wouldnt be able to tell a difference between removing an eyesore and making players be seen from across the map with bright skins. 

People seem to forget that GW2 has PvP in it. Which is unsurprising, but still.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 12/30/2022 at 7:21 PM, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Would you like ANet to allow us to use texture mods or other mods?

There are already a few mods that A Net allows, such as a quick mount selection, and one that works like a GPS navigator to find your way around map.

But would you like more?

And if so, which?

Those are not mods, those are add-ons, big difference.

Mods change the game, while add-ons change nothing about the game, only read what the game allows to be read, and add functionality based on that.

"ability to climb walls"

So people with this mod can just climb WvW walls, put a portal down and get a full squad in without any siege right?

Or totally break intended progression experience in open world, or just get to some out of bound place in a raid, where bosses attacks can't hit you, and just wail on them, maybe skip special mechanics too!

That's not a mod, that's called cheating.

Games need to be built for mods from the ground up, and most multiplayer games have the same strict rules for everyone because if one person mods their game - it usually ends up hurting others (as with your example).

No mods.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

A bit off topic, but you can change music right now, I've personally have been playing with Lineage2 soundtrack for last 5-6 years ( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Customized_soundtrack )

Customized soundtrack option of GW2 is significantly lacking. It doesn't allow for the same granularity as the in-game soundtrack has, it also does not let you replace only some of the original tracks - it's all or nothing replacement across very wide categories. It's fine if your goal is to just listen to something completely unrelated, but it's pretty much useless if what you wanted was to add/expand/modify game music. I have tried to make it work many times over, but its drawbacks were always too annoying.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1