Is it worth getting a Legendary Weapon?

You can do a lot with 3k gold (legenday weps/armor/trinkets, infusions, buying gem-store items, and much more) it's really up to you to choose.From my own point of view, yes. Legendary Weapons are definitely worth it, they have a wonderful skin (not all), always best stat and selectable as well (whenever you want). Just think thrice before making your decision because it's a big sum.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what kind of player you are! Definitely not worth it for me. I've been playing since beta but I have zero Legendaries. Ascended stuff offer the same stats but they are a lot cheaper. I also never change my stats so I don't actually need Legendaries (you can change stats on them for free). I would never pay thousands of Gold for one item, that's crazy. I also find most Legendary designs too fancy/overcomplicated for my tastes. The good thing about Legendaries is that they are optional. :)

Gen 1 legendaries are cheaper then the gen 2 usually by half. With 3k gold you can make 2 gen 1 legendaries and most of a 3rd. Gen 2 legendaries will set you back at the MINIMUM of 2k gold usually closer to 2.3- 2.4k gold.

As some have said up top make sure it's:

1: that you really like the look of.2: that you use it often. Almost no point in making one if you're not gonna use it.

Even though they have a nice weapon stat swap. Honestly I rarely change the stats of mine. More so I never do as mostly my characters are zerk or condi and usually the weapons of a class tend to favor a certain stat set.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:If I am sitting on 3K gold, should I spend it on a Legendary Weapon?And which weapon would be the best choice?

Legendary Weapons are fairly terrible value, especially compared to Armor and such.

For the same price as a single legendary weapon, you could make a full set of Legendary armor and never have to worry about armor on that character again, no matter the build or stats, as well as freeing 6 inventory slots for each additional build you tend to run on that character.

In comparison, you usually don't use the same weapon for different builds requiring different Stats on the same character (as usually there are distinct Condi, Power or Support tailored Weapons anyway, although there are exceptions), additionally weapons don't take up much inventory space and ascended ones are easy to get at a certain point.Worst case, the meta changes and you won't use the weapon at all anymore, unless maybe on a different character where the skin might not fit.

So as someone else said, if you have to ask if it's worth it then probably not, as you have to find a lot of subjective value in a legendary weapon such as absolutely loving the particular skin and desperately wanting the prestige, as from a objective standpoint they are one of the worst investments in the game to make, right behind some of the incredible costly cosmetic infusions. Other than that, unless you have more gold to burn than you know what to do with, I personally wouldn't go for it.

Fun fact: out of my three legendary weapons, only one (the focus) was crafted because I actually wanted the weapon (lucky me it was also crafted from the only precursor I ever dropped in this game). Of the other two, I made Kudzu because I loved the idea of collecting flowers and building a garden during the precursor collection, and Nevermore because I wanted to have the skin of the 2nd stage precursor. I ended up finishing both much later simply because the precursors were there and I was looking for something to do ;) .

If you're sitting on 3k gold, you might just want to do what I did-- save a bit more and get a Permanent Bank Contract.

The convenience of it (being able to access anything in my bank via Shared Inventory Slot and turning my bank into a large shared bag between all characters) has much more value than me than a skin that won't always be seen and a clunky stat swap. Besides, legendaries can be seen all over town; nobody is going to look at you anyways.

I guess the reason I'm hesitating is because I want it and don't want it at the same time :scream:

I want a toon with full Legendary Armor and Weapons.I currently have on my Condi Reaper:

• Full WvW Legendary Armour
  • 1 Legendary PvP Backpack
  • 1 Legendary Scepter
  • 1 Legendary Greatsword
  • 2 Ascended Attuned Mist Band Infused (resettable)
  • 2 Ascended Mist Talisman (resettable)
  • 1 Ascended Mist Pendant (resettable)

He is short of 1 Legendary Dagger to complete the Full Legendary Set (apart from trinkets which I can't bring myself to do PvE).So I really want that Legendary Dagger.

On the other hand, I do not like the Incinerator skin. It is too bright and glowy for my dark and gloomy Reaper.I don't like the Gen 2 Dagger either. It is almost identical to the Incinerator :s

Which leaves me torn.Spend 2500 gold just to have the complete Legendary set on one Toon and not use the Legendary skin at all because I dislike it =/

Would a different (not dagger) offhand weapon work for your toon? I rather like the look of the warhorn Howler. I'm making the torch, Rodgort, but since you don't want something "bright and glowy" then I def wouldn't recommend that one.

If you don't like the legendary dagger skins, don't make one IMO. If you do, you'll be staring at something you hate and having buyer's remorse.

@Rasimir.6239 said:...I made Kudzu because I loved the idea of collecting flowers and building a garden during the precursor collection..

I just finished the Kudzu III collection and now I have my first ever precursor. The collections were interesting but also exhausting and expensive so I'll let the unbound pre sit in my bank until I'm ready for the next big step. I already have most of the mats and this would be my first legendary despite playing since beta. For me it was more something new and interesting to pursue, and also something that's been on my bucket list forever.

Good grief, I never farmed so much wood!

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:I guess the reason I'm hesitating is because I want it and don't want it at the same time :scream:

I want a toon with full Legendary Armor and Weapons.I currently have on my Condi Reaper:

• 1 Legendary Scepter
  • 1 Legendary Greatsword

He is short of 1 Legendary Dagger to complete the Full Legendary Set (apart from trinkets which I can't bring myself to do PvE).So I really want that Legendary Dagger.

On the other hand, I do not like the Incinerator skin. It is too bright and glowy for my dark and gloomy Reaper.I don't like the Gen 2 Dagger either. It is almost identical to the Incinerator :s

Which leaves me torn.Spend 2500 gold just to have the complete Legendary set on one Toon and not use the Legendary skin at all because I dislike it =/

Not liking the skin has been the #1 hurdle for me in terms of crafting legendaries. I only started a legendary weapon after completing both Warbringer and Ad Inifinitum, and found myself asking "now what?". So I'm working on Sunrise as I use GS on a lot of characters, and it's one of the skin I dislike the least. I'm waiting to see Exordium in action though, as I may just shift over to crafting that. The video's released to date don't show me what it looks like on non-Mesmers, so I'll have to wait.

I suppose the question then is, why does it matter if your gear is 100% legendary? For stat swapping, you could probably craft 3-4 different ascended daggers, and then stat swap them a few times and still not come anywhere close to the cost of a legendary. The stats of legendary gear is the same as ascended, and since we can't inspect other players, nobody will know how many purples you have equipped.

So in the end, it comes down to the skin. If you don't like it, there is no point in making it.

EDIT: also worth noting that Exordium is the final Gen 2 legendary, which means Gen 3 is coming up next, so a new legendary dagger is in the works - only a question of how long.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:I guess the reason I'm hesitating is because I want it
and
don't want it at the same time :scream:

• 1 Legendary Scepter
  • 1 Legendary Greatsword

Not liking the skin has been the #1 hurdle for me in terms of crafting legendaries. I only started a legendary weapon after completing both Warbringer and Ad Inifinitum, and found myself asking "now what?". So I'm working on Sunrise as I use GS on a lot of characters, and it's one of the skin I dislike the least. I'm waiting to see Exordium in action though, as I may just shift over to crafting that. The video's released to date don't show me what it looks like on non-Mesmers, so I'll have to wait.

I suppose the question then is, why does it matter if your gear is 100% legendary? For stat swapping, you could probably craft 3-4 different ascended daggers, and then stat swap them a few times and still not come anywhere close to the cost of a legendary. The stats of legendary gear is the same as ascended, and since we can't inspect other players, nobody will know how many purples you have equipped.

So in the end, it comes down to the skin. If you don't like it, there is no point in making it.

EDIT: also worth noting that Exordium is the final Gen 2 legendary, which means Gen 3 is coming up next, so a new legendary dagger is in the works - only a question of how long.But perhaps those gen3 ones are a long time away. :/

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

EDIT: also worth noting that Exordium is the final Gen 2 legendary, which means Gen 3 is coming up next, so a new legendary dagger is in the works - only a question of how long.

We have, to my knowledge, absolutely no confirmation, or even indication that a gen 3 is forthcoming.

I find it likely there will eventually be a new batch of legendaries, but we should not assuming one is coming, let alone coming soon.

@aspirine.6852 said:But perhaps those gen3 ones are a long time away. :/

No doubt, but as things go, they release a new one with each LW chapter, so 3-4 months before the next one?

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

We have, to my knowledge, absolutely
no
confirmation, or even
indication
that a gen 3 is forthcoming.

I find it likely there will eventually be a new batch of legendaries, but we should not assuming one is coming, let alone coming soon.

Completely fair point, but I see no reason for ANET to discontinue creating new legendaries. The community certainly wants them, the material/gold sink is very healthy for the economy, and it gives players long term goals to work towards, which is something very important for an MMO. I'm sure they will confirm that when they announce Season 5, which they have already said is in development.

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:If I am sitting on 3K gold, should I spend it on a Legendary Weapon?And which weapon would be the best choice?

There is no "best choice", you select what you need.

As for "worth it": it depends on why you would want to get one. If it's for the skin, then IMO there are only 3-4 worth it. If it's for the stat swap feature and/or the amazing journeys of the gen 1 and gen 2.1 weapons, then it's totally worth it. :)

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:I guess the reason I'm hesitating is because I want it and don't want it at the same time :scream:

• 1 Legendary Scepter
  • 1 Legendary Greatsword

Ah that makes a lot more sense.

Well here is my subjective perspective how I would approach this issue at this point in time: wait.

Episode 6 is coming out next week it seems. There is a chance it might release with a new legendary trinket. You also seem not to own Aurora yet, so that is also an option or goal.

Depending on available resources (Gift of Exploration, Gift of Battle, enough Obsidian shard and/or Karma) crafting Inscinerator can be a couple of hundred gold cheaper than buying it. Then reskin it and keep the functionality.

I doubt we will be seeing any T3 legendary weapons any time soon (or ever to be honest).

I would rather get legendary armor instead of weapons. You see, if you play different builds the weapon u choose matter. For example, if I play dragonhunter with legendary greatsword burserker stat. Even though one day i want to switch to condition build, despite the legendary stat of greatsword is changeable, I am not going to use that anyway because the GS weapons skills do not match my condition build. Same as legendary staff, if you are playing support, it is fine, but if you somehow want to change to dps, who is going to use a staff anyway for guardian. Of course if you are going to share it among other characters it is different case.

i made nevermore and then bolt. both awesome weapons with nice visuals and effects when using weapon ability’s.

but i also made the binding of ipos. the skin is nice. but the effects with spells are bad visible. i still didn’t see the shadow eye when using skill 4 or 5. plus offhand ability’s cooldown are longer. i think i don’t make an offhand again. i want more professions that use the focus.

and then ranged dps. because i play mesmer and it’s a melee class so the eye effect nearly never visible.

maybe an idea that the offhand effects are also apply to utility skills. or added to main weapon.

@titje.2745 said:i made nevermore and then bolt. both awesome weapons with nice visuals and effects when using weapon ability’s.

but i also made the binding of ipos. the skin is nice. but the effects with spells are bad visible. i still didn’t see the shadow eye when using skill 4 or 5. plus offhand ability’s cooldown are longer. i think i don’t make an offhand again. i want more professions that use the focus.

The only skill that you will see that on is necro focus #4 since that is the only focus skill that is still a projectile. I just tested and it does have it. Purple orb should be pretty hard to miss.

maybe an idea that the offhand effects are also apply to utility skills. or added to main weapon.

or do what they are doing with the greatsword which is giving effects for specific skills rather that just generic projectile modifiers and on crit/hit effect

Yes. Thats why i am crafting my 3rd(4th) Legendary WeaponI have Sunrise, Aurora, Astralaria und now crafting Twilight -> Eternity.

They are all so shiny and i love shiny things. But if you compare what you could do with all the gold/mats( and time ), then the legendaries are not worth the gold and time.

@HawkXtream.1538 said:I would rather get legendary armor instead of weapons. You see, if you play different builds the weapon u choose matter. For example, if I play dragonhunter with legendary greatsword burserker stat. Even though one day i want to switch to condition build, despite the legendary stat of greatsword is changeable, I am not going to use that anyway because the GS weapons skills do not match my condition build. Same as legendary staff, if you are playing support, it is fine, but if you somehow want to change to dps, who is going to use a staff anyway for guardian. Of course if you are going to share it among other characters it is different case.And once you have the armor, you'll realize its absolute kitten if you play different builds because its 10x faster to swap armor like normal and you can use different looks/dyes for different builds.

So yeah... Are you sure about that, lol.

Archived