Every new mount makes the raptor even more useless.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I find it my most used. It’s certainly more useful to me than the jackal which is deliberately niche

The beetle and the warclaw didn’t make the raptor more useless. The Skyscale has prob superseded the griffin more than the raptor, but they all have their place and nothing has been made useless thankfully

@Aodlop.1907 said:You guys actually prefer the raptor to the jackal? The latter is much easier to manoeuvre around, I found.

My jackal barely gets a look in for general play. I do occasionally use it for variety and to play a skin I like, but the raptor leap couple with how good the animations are on it, put the raptor as my primary land mount

@Aodlop.1907 said:You guys actually prefer the raptor to the jackal? The latter is much easier to manoeuvre around, I found.

I prefer the raptor's jump for fast movement than jackal's teleport, idk why, its just seems easier to control. Most times I try using the jackal's teleport, I end up going in a direction I don't want to go in.

@Randulf.7614 said:Really? I find it my most used. It’s certainly more useful to me than the jackal which is deliberately niche

What niche? The jackal is the most versatile mount on ground. It evades while being fast, it has precise movement, it doesn't care about angles (whether you go up or down), and you take zero fall damage regardless of the height, unlike the raptor. That's not niche, that's all super practical.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Really? I find it my most used. It’s certainly more useful to me than the jackal which is deliberately niche

What niche? The jackal is the most versatile mount on ground. It evades while being fast, it has precise movement, it doesn't care about angles (whether you go up or down), and you take zero fall damage regardless of the height, unlike the raptor. That's not niche, that's all super practical.

The portals are niche which is the main design for it.

I’m not taking away from others if they prefer it. I’m countering that the raptor has been made useless by subsequent releases and that is absolutely not the case.

@Randulf.7614 said:

I’m not taking away from others if they prefer it. I’m countering that the raptor has been made useless by subsequent releases and that is absolutely not the case.

Portals are a perk, Ashantara has hit all the major points.

Only other addition that is missing is that raptor often cannot utilize its jump because of any inclines or obstructions in terrain.

To me, that makes jackal the hands down winner for horizontal terrain.

It depends. Jackal is better uphill, because the port doesn't slow you down when going uphill, while Raptor is best w/o elevation of terrain. The beetle is faster but only when it has the chance to use its full potential using boosts and such, which is part skill part terrain as going uphill makes the thing go really slow.

I....can't recall the last time I used my jackal.

In order now: raptor skyscale skimmer and then, erm. Beetle? I guess? Maybe Springer over beetle if it's one quick easy jump I KNOW it will make. Certainly Warclaw in wvw. I still use griffon to hop over to the platform in wing 6 ca. Well. I think I did use jackal in Dragonfall to see where the portals went. I don't think any were inaccessible with skyscale though. If I have to ascend prolongingly I will use griffon. I just can't think of any situation where it's worthwhile hauling out jackal, but to those who prefer the uneven jumpjumpjump dodge of its movement, more power to you! For me, I can't stand it. Much like the flapflapflap of griffon.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

Only other addition that is missing is that raptor often cannot utilize its jump because of any inclines or obstructions in terrain.

The portals are the main part of the jackal and as a side effect bring the dash which many like to use in open terrain. Without them, no jackal. Yes it does have other advantages, but they don’t always supersede what the raptor brings. Many people find the leap more intuitive than the dash effect of the jackal which often reorientates them. The raptor and jackal also have very different dismount actions, the existence of one does not negate the usefulness of the other.

So yes, you are right that the jackal has benefits beyond its primary purpose - better turns, barrier etc. But it is not more useful than the raptor except in personal preference (eg for me raptor is hands down better on horizontal terrain). Which is the argument against what is stated in the op

TLDR the raptor has not been made useless

@Randulf.7614 said:

The portals are the main part of the jackal and as a side effect bring the dash which many like to use in open terrain. Without them, no jackal. Yes it does have other advantages, but they don’t always supersede what the raptor brings. Many people find the leap more intuitive than the dash effect of the jackal which often reorientates them. The raptor and jackal also have very different dismount actions, the existence of one does not negate the usefulness of the other.

So yes, you are right that the jackal has benefits beyond its primary purpose - better turns, barrier etc. But it is not more useful than the raptor except in personal preference (eg for me raptor is hands down better on horizontal terrain). Which is the argument against what is stated in the op

Disagree on portals as the main effect. They simply allow evade to be utilized to teleport similar to their normal teleport ability, just to a fixed location.

As far as utility goes, I don't see how you guys can go back to raptor in all but flat terrain.

Jackal is superior at getting through packs of mobs, not taking fall damage, and going uphill and past obstacles, all of which pose major problems for the raptor. You can even get farther off of a mountain/cliff with jackal simply because you can keep dashing.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

Disagree on portals as the main effect. They simply allow evade to be utilized to teleport similar to their normal teleport ability, just to a fixed location.

As far as utility goes, I don't see how you guys can go back to raptor in all but flat terrain.

Jackal is superior at getting through packs of mobs, not taking fall damage, and going uphill and past obstacles, all of which pose major problems for the raptor. You can even get farther off of a mountain/cliff with jackal simply because you can keep dashing.

Not entirely sure how jackal is "superior" at getting through packs of mobs. If you're referring to the evade on the movement skill, there's a mastery that allows the other mounts to also have that evasion, therefore giving the raptor's dash the evade as well.I personally use both, but raptor more typically. I much prefer the dash as it feels more intuitive while the jackal teleport is very spammy. That and it's not like all terrain just flat out stops the raptor, its dash gives it a little bit of height and if aimed correctly can land you on top of little hills and such instead of just running into it. I also much prefer the raptor's engage skill for the way I play. There are some maps I prefer the Jackal on though, if I notice there are tons of hills everywhere I usually stop for a sec to change the default mount to Jackal. And...if I'm going to jump off a cliff I don't typically do it with a non-flying mount...If people prefer Jackal overall that's fine, but to say the raptor is useless is flat out false.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

Will full mastries, Raptor evades as well, I find raptor 'steering' smooth unlike jackal and overall control of raptor is better for me. Maybe I juts got used to it.

There are several threads that already cover this topic in one form or another. What they all have in common: there's not widespread agreement about the utility of any of the mounts. Every mount is a favorite of someone's; lots of people say it depends greatly on the situation.

So rather than thinking that any single mount makes any other "useless," I think of each new mount as offering me more options in how to get around.

raptor and griffons are the mounts i use most of the time, followed by bunny

the new skyscale is the is pretty nice for short distance flights, but griffon is still the go to for long distance flight, it's like helicopter vs bombardier

warclaw is totally useless in PvE, no idea why Anet removed the extra stamina bar in PvE, like it's gonna break anything? the claw claim, there's only few nish mobs that have down state you can use

jackal is least used mount, only when i have to travel to areas that are untraversable except portals