Teapot Quitting? Is this the beginning of the end?

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:Oh man oh boy oh geeze! An influencer has stopped doing {that_thing_i_like}! It's dead I tells you; Dead! How ever shall I think for myself? I need these people to show me the way!

Bye guys, I'm going to play WoW Classic because some loser told me to :(

but you have to admit it is probably much easier to fleece easily influenced minions than people that can think on their own.

@"Goettel.4389" said:

Twitch is usually the best indication of a game's popularity and life outside of fighting games, which has a strong competitive scene (gw2 has literally almost 0 competitive esports scene).

Any source to convince me that the Twitch viewers constitute more than (or even close to) 10% of active GW2 accounts?

People try to use Twitch as a source because there is mostly no other choice. Publishers seems to have mostly stopped mentioning actual sales/player counts or they give numbers of questionable value like "x number of active players" since that never includes their definition of active.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This streamer tended to promote the same sort of toxicity the poster of this thread does, that has led to the start of other Guild Wars 2 streamers having to put "non-toxic" on their stream, and that seemed to be the same sort of toxicity that other streamers have left the game because.

At least that's how I saw him. I can't imagine how you could be one of his followers while remaining positive about the game. Keemstar is also a very famous streamer, and I wouldn't want him playing Guild Wars 2.

@Schwarzwald.9078 said:

@Schwarzwald.9078 said:This streamer tended to promote the same sort of toxicity the poster of this thread does, that has led to the start of other Guild Wars 2 streamers having to put "non-toxic" on their stream, and that seemed to be the same sort of toxicity that other streamers have left the game because.

At least that's how I saw him. I can't imagine how you could be one of his followers while remaining positive about the game. Keemstar is also a very famous streamer, and I wouldn't want him playing Guild Wars 2.

??

Toxicity exists in all games wayyy before teapot streamed gw2, lmao get used to it.

You sort of proved my point there.

Gw2 whas probably the friendliest PvE/Raid community out of every mmo that is currently out , outside of the PvP game mode of course.

Not because of comments like yours.

You're getting the cart before the horse on the toxicity debate in MMO's. Just stop, it'll get you no where. Toxicity exists with or without Teapot, even though he's not even that toxic, but he can be so I'll give you that.

If you don't think Gw2 doesn't have one of the best communities in the game , then you're sadly mistaken. It is by far one of the best communities to be in, and me being honest with reality here in terms of Gw2's marketing (or lack thereof) doesn't change that fact and is actually for the most part irrelevant from community aspects of the game anyway so you bringing it up is irrelevant to the actual discussion that this thread pertains to.

Twitch plays a major role in a game's success now on a mainstream level, mmo's fall into a category where that is vital to it's success. We live in a different time unfortunately. Marketing has drastically changed since then.

This is a debate that will go no where mainly because the people in here don't acknowledge reality, I know it sucks to see your mmo of choice dying, but it happens.

He's not leaving 'leaving', he already said he'll be back for content drops/updates. Though part of the reason it's translated to him leaving is that there's no lasting content for veteran players, he's accepted this is a casual game, there's no point if investing to hardcore GW2.

-PVE Content releases takes a ridiculous amount of time to get anything new. No I'm not talking about maps I'm talking about Fractals(Dungeons)/Raids. Look up the last time we got a new fractal, or the time between the last raid and the Key to Ahdashim. Also fractals are missing that reward old dungeons had with unique skins and such.

-Spvp this game mode is dead, same 7 year old conquest. No new supported game types, or systems. Competitive scene, there is none, it's only inhabited by husks of win trading and exploitative practices that Anet supports and rewards at that. The only purpose for spvp now a days is reward farming.

-WvW, alliances when? Perhaps never(or late 2021)

-Turtles pace balance patches, so you're stuck with awful changes for 3 months if you're unfortunate enough to get hit by said unfortunate changes :blush: . At this point though people should accept they won't or simply can't have faster balance passes.

@ZhouX.8742 said:

@Schwarzwald.9078 said:This streamer tended to promote the same sort of toxicity the poster of this thread does, that has led to the start of other Guild Wars 2 streamers having to put "non-toxic" on their stream, and that seemed to be the same sort of toxicity that other streamers have left the game because.

??

Toxicity exists in all games wayyy before teapot streamed gw2, lmao get used to it.

Gw2 whas probably the friendliest PvE/Raid community out of every mmo that is currently out , outside of the PvP game mode of course.

You're getting the cart before the horse on the toxicity debate in MMO's. Just stop, it'll get you no where. Toxicity exists with or without Teapot, even though he's not even that toxic, but he can be so I'll give you that.

If you don't think Gw2 doesn't have one of the best communities in the game , then you're sadly mistaken. It is by far one of the best communities to be in, and me being honest with reality here in terms of Gw2's marketing (or lack thereof) doesn't change that fact and is actually for the most part irrelevant from community aspects of the game anyway so you bringing it up is irrelevant to the actual discussion that this thread pertains to.

Twitch plays a major role in a game's success now on a mainstream level, mmo's fall into a category where that is vital to it's success. We live in a different time unfortunately. Marketing has drastically changed since then.

This is a debate that will go no where mainly because the people in here don't acknowledge reality, I know it sucks to see your mmo of choice dying, but it happens.

Why do we spent time on this earth, each breath drawn being one closer to death?

The "x is dying, accept it" is not an argument. Never has been, never will be. What does it add? What does it explain? Nothing. Nothing is more annoying to see than "hehe ded gaem" memery anywhere, because people will actually believe it. People who don't understand how the server system works, join an empty map and then cry they can't play the game because it's bad and everybody left a long time ago will also say this and they are partly to blame why that is such a meme now.

Yes, the game is (((dying))), as goes for everything the second it launches or is born into this world. Twitch is not a means to measure an almost 7 year old game. If you wanted to make that argument, you'd look at Youtube much rather than Twitch. Much more people who play GW2 also watch Youtube. Even so, it doesn't even matter.

@Blocki.4931 said:

??

Why do we spent time on this earth, each breath drawn being one closer to death?

The "x is dying, accept it" is not an argument. Never has been, never will be. What does it add? What does it explain? Nothing. Nothing is more annoying to see than "hehe ded gaem" memery anywhere, because people will actually believe it. People who don't understand how the server system works, join an empty map and then cry they can't play the game because it's bad and everybody left a long time ago will also say this and they are partly to blame why that is such a meme now.

Yes, the game is (((dying))), as goes for everything the second it launches or is born into this world. Twitch is not a means to measure an almost 7 year old game. If you wanted to make that argument, you'd look at Youtube much rather than Twitch. Much more people who play GW2 also watch Youtube. Even so, it doesn't even matter.

Your post makes literally no sense. Youtube runs from a view count based system with a different philosophy of video structure than a live stream from a game with real-timer viewers. If you're referring to the Youtube Streaming side, then I can see your point, in which case you would further solidify my point even more.

You basically agree with me that it's dying then? Then there was no point to respond.

Not just him, Jawgeous too. I'm not saying "this is the end" but I don't think it's a good look that content creators around the game are choosing to jump ship. Not so long after mass layoffs too. Even if it doesn't spell the immediate doom of the game it says something. People can have this "good riddance" attitude if they want but it only helps turn things in a more downward slope. If you really want this game to do well people need to start asking "Why are these people leaving?" instead of saying "Who cares if so and so leaves"

@"bbop.9706" said:Teapot...provides valuable and high quality content for our community...No one brings the community together the entertaining way he does and if that goes, quality goes down, interest in a game that has already crested its wave goes down, the community seek new communities..

Uhm, who's Teapot? Why is his leaving going to cause me to lose interest in the game? Or make me seek new communities? He may be important to you, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean he's important to other people. Personally I have zero interest in watching other people play this game. Again, if you like that, it's fine, but don't project your likes (or dislikes) on everyone else. As for these seemingly endless "the game is dying! the game is dying!" threads, I spent several hours doing every world boss today and there was a full crowd at each and every one of them. Afterwards I was doing map completion with a new alt in the Wayfarer Foothills and there were plenty of other people running around the map doing things. I simply don't see a dying game when I'm playing.

People confusing their streaming 'heroes' quitting with them having to quit.These guys got a couple hundred followers, which is probably why they're quitting looking for greener pastures. It has more to do with their trying to live off of gaming than with any game.

I only watched his Tea Time as his voice relaxes me and he had some nice chats with other streamers. I didn't watch it all in 1 go coz waaaay too long video's and I don't care about raids. As someone said, he will still make vids about gw2. Its not bad if someone likes to play other games next to gw2 as well (I do myself too). This does not mean gw2 is dying.

Must say I was defending this game hard! Limit of in territory of blind fanboy. But the last balance patch... they buff giardian and destroy healer/support scrapper... give portal to thief... sidnt nerf mirage from what I remember... but really the scrapper bullshit and no expansion on the horizon... after 5 years Im starting to give up Ive stick with the alright at best season 4 just in the hope of an expansion... now I have to endure another season (expectation are lot)... after 5 years its my first time feeling to give up on anet will stick till start of season 5 to see there "expension like feature" but my hope are lot.... and before you ask no you cant have my stuff everything is account bound anyway nowday...

@"Blocki.4931" said:Oh look, the fifth thread about GW2 being dead this week.

WP pulls 200 to 300 viewers on his casual morning streams for over a month now, just to put it a bit into perspective. GW2 isn't as big as WoW and it's even more of a niche on Twitch. This says nothing. If you think the LW episodes this season were bad your expectations are seriously off, maybe you didn't care enough to actually get into them, but you just make it sound like your "loyalty" was suffering through for no reason. Just go, be free.

It's not like memepot wasn't thinking about doing something else for a long time already or anything.

In some aspects se4 was bad, one that comes to mind immidiately is schedule and the plethora of delays.

@ZhouX.8742 said:

??

Your post makes literally no sense. Youtube runs from a view count based system with a different philosophy of video structure than a live stream from a game with real-timer viewers. If you're referring to the Youtube Streaming side, then I can see your point, in which case you would further solidify my point even more.

You basically agree with me that it's dying then? Then there was no point to respond.

How is Youtube different? People who are interested in something watch content pertaining to those interests. It's been said countless times already but GW2 is an awful game to watch being played. You don't watch streams for the games, you watch them for the streamers. Period. No exceptions. Just one time viewing doesn't count.

I even said it, but more people use Youtube than Twitch. If you were to find an actual representation of people interested, you watch the long or short term interest in Youtube viewership. Sample size is like 40x higher and more representative. If you do not understand that I cannot help you.

You missed the entire point of me "agreeing" with you. What you said is meaningless. It holds 0 value, because "x is dying" is not an argument that is useful in any way to any type of discussion. It's fluff, because it can literally and figuratively be applied to every single living thing or creation in our universe.

@"Danikat.8537" said:We've had numerous topics about GW2 and streaming sites before and the conclusion is always the same - this isn't the kind of game where it's fun to sit and watch someone else play. Combat is too fast paced, with too many things that aren't obvious when you're just watching (like traits which trigger under certain conditions) and a lot of stuff which is difficult to see in big groups. Add on the fact that it's a relatively casual game so there's very little content anyone would need to watch because they aren't able to play it themselves and there's very little appeal there. (I also get the impression that it attracts an older audience who aren't as interested in the idea of streaming and 'influences' in general - bearing in mind I'm counting myself in that and I'm only 35, so not very old in general terms but old enough that I'm considered less of a priority for marketers.)

A few people are able to attract attention with niche topics like deep dives into lore, but I doubt the majority of GW2 players even know (or care) that those streams exist, never mind watching them. If you go by the number of people watching streams then GW2 has never been a big success and has "died" numerous times over the years.

On a related note can we please stop acting like any MMO which isn't top of whichever measurement is under discussion has failed. I don't know of any other situation where people use that logic. No one says basketball is a "dead" sport just because football has more viewers on average, or even because it makes more money. Or that only the single most successful TV show being aired right now is actually successful and all the rest have failed if they don't get as many viewers. We've known since the days when Ultima Online, Runescape and Everquest were the 'big 3' that it's possible for multiple different MMOs to coexist by appealing to different audiences, even if one attracts more players than another. No GW2 isn't the most successful MMO out there, but that doesn't mean it's failed or failing or otherwise doomed. There are enough potential players out there to maintain multiple games, even if each of us only plays 1 at a time.

@"zinkz.7045" said:If steams are your measurement then surely it was "the beginning of the end" when Teldo quit who used to get around 1k viewers every stream and he quit years ago. Teapot usually gets about the same as Koroshi used to get for roaming about WvW...

Also you should take ESO streams with a big pinch of salt, the three biggest streamers there (Fengrush, Alcast, Fextralife) all get most of their "viewers" from having their streams embedded on websites.

Also really who cares about streams, they are only really successful for esports and the odd other very rare game does decently with them, beyond that they don't matter.

Also a lot of "viewers" on ESO streams aren't watching it at all. ESO gives away crown crates (equivalent to black lion keys) to people who watch streams of the game, so a lot of people will log in to a participating stream then minimise the browser (or log in on a phone/tablet and turn the screen off) and just let it run for a while - they qualify for the promotion and get free stuff, the stream gets artificially inflated numbers but no one is actually watching and there's no engagement beyond logging in.

Their official forum is full of threads with players advising each other on how to set it up so you can guarantee you get the rewards and never have to see the stream at all.

Alot of ppl might not watch streams but to assume nobody does would be wrong. I have oppened streams to get the rewards and then spend hours interacting with the streamers some of which ive been no following for years.

Twitch drops also push out the game in the directory which makes it easier for ppl to notice a game and click to check it out. Even if some views arent ppl actually engaging with the content theres still a buch of ppl seeing a game up in the directory and click to check it out.

@Brother.1504 said:Bless online was the gw2 killer.

Then it was released.

How did that work out?

Social media and streamers try to monetize the idea that the sky is falling.

Teapot didnt monetise wow classic or present it as a gw2 killer, all he did was get fed up with the slow cadence and asocial design that gw2 has been pushing and is looking for actual mmo experience.

You have a casual game, where casuals thrive ... then someone claims it's 'failing' because hardcores leave.

I like Teapot and watch his stuff occasionally, but if you think him leaving will have a significant impact on the casual playerbase that this game (SHOULD) be catering to, you just don't get the people that like this game.

Frankly, Anet made a massive Faux Pas in trying to serve fringe players with raids, etc ... in the manner they did. It's going to cost them to continue down that path.

@bbop.9706 said:Why I am i still playing this game again?

If the main reason you are is because of a streamer, then you probably shouldn't be in the first place.

I can only speak for myself, and I'm sorry if my comment was caustic, but I'm just getting so weary going to the forums and seeing several threads about the game dying. It's discouraging and to be honest, somewhat unwarranted. I'm annoyed because people are playing the follow the leader and...who is exactly is the leader? Be your own leader, but follow your instinct. It's fine to follow to learn, though.

@Condutas.3580 said:Do people honestly watch someone playing a MMRPG game instead of playing themselves?

I mean, fast paced games? Sure, I understand...

But a MMRPG? What's the point?

Especially when the base game of GW2 is free and doesn't have story or level restrictions. I can understand watching a stream of a game that costs $80+ or a monthly sub to play, especially if money is tight or there's no time to play it yourself but you still want to know what's going on. But a free game that doesn't translate well to being watched unless the streamer brings something themselves that makes it engaging? Yeah, no.

GW2's demographic also tends to be older than other MMO's, and when you have work and/or kids and/or other commitments, would you spend your free time streaming something instead of playing it yourself? And not everyone can stream at work.