Official capes discussion thread

@coso.9173 said:Medium armor can already have that.

No, not really.

Theres a hood head piece and wear the cape and dye them so they look the same color.

I know there are hood pieces, but it still looks fake in combination, because the cape hangs too low and isn't seamlessly attached to the hood - hence my request for something else that truly does look like a hooded cloak.

P.S. It would probably have to consist of three pieces to make it look seamless: cape, shoulders and head piece.

First of all, like many people, I really like the recent addition of the capes. So thank you Anet for finally adding them. I was a big fan of them in GW1 ?

So the thing is, I'm very tempted to get the new Emblazoned Cape, and in all honesty I probably will. The inclusion of this cape will really open up future possibilities of design, and I like some of the ideas that other people have already posted elsewhere.

My personal predicament however is that I really love my Ad Infinitum backpiece, and I'm loathe to replace it after having invested so much time, effort and gold into getting it. I know everyone feels differently about legendary effects / visual noise, and such like, but I really love it.

So based in this, and to get to my point, I started to think about whether Anet were making plans on creating a Legendary Cape. For me, its something that I think would compliment the existing Legendary backpieces, and it would also be a great new goal to work towards.

Now we have WvW, PvP and Fractal Legendary backpieces, so perhaps a Legendary Cape could instead form around Guilds. Progression in ones journey towards obtaining the Cape could be around Guild events, Alliance Battles, contributions to your Guild, but also towards helping others throughout the in-game GW2 community. Perhaps even towards good causes supported by Anet in the real world... its always nice to step back and help others out.

Now I know that some Guilds are fairly small and struggle from time to time with their numbers. Others can seem large and elitist. However, I can honestly say that in the 10 years I have been in my Guild, Ministry of Friendship (MoF), I have come across some really great and lovely people who just want to hang out and help one another. And I would encourage anyone in-game to enquire and join a Guild.

Back to the Cape itself... in terms of features it would be cool to see:

• Unique dye channels;
  • Guild emblems;
  • Guild emblem footfalls;
  • Draw / Stow Effects;
  • Intricate and fluid design work;
  • Perfect fit according to ones character; and
  • Works in tandem with stowed two handed weapons / shields.(to name a few).

The final design could be based on a Community design competition, with prizes to the winner and runner ups.

Anyway, I just wanted to put the idea across, which I'm pretty sure hasn't been raised yet. But I'd be really interested to hear what designs or features your ideal Legendary Cape would have, and what would you call it?

Thanks ?

@LaFurion.3167 said:Do you see how amazing the response is? How much cash you guys made from every account logging on? I'm sure if you check your statistics and logs, 90% of accounts that logged in had a gemstore purchase within the first 10 minutes of playing!Please share the source of these statistics. GW2eff shows less than 2% of players having purchased a cape.

Is anyone really surprised that the in-game cape, the "first" cape is so basic and IMO ridiculous? I mean this is a predictable pattern. The first glider. The basic, single dye channel mount skins. The simple chair they gave away. The guild bib.

These were all deliberately made as basic and simplistic designs in order to get people using one but to leave people feeling dissatisfied with what they had and wanting more. Then the gemstore gets the good ones.

@Tukaram.8256 said:

@Super Hayes.6890 said:Okay, am I the only one that likes how they look on Char???

On my Char it does not cover the tail, and when the tail moves I can see my butt swish around under the cape. Kind of creepy ha ha.

Mine doesn't do that lol. It must depend on armor. I have only tried it with one of my Char with one armor set. I'll have to experiment to see what works.

A dev explained it on Reddit.https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/e5mqr8/capes_and_backpacks_in_general_would_look_better/f9nnn5u/?context=1000

Capes are one of the most difficult things we've ever had to implement, for so many complicated reasons. Backpacks are similarly irritating. One of the many factors here is body scaling and armor. There is a single backpack model which has to work whether you're fat, skinny, wearing a skin tight suit, or huge, bulky, spiky armor. If the cape is fitted snug to a skinny, tight suit wearing character, it will be completely inside the body of a chonker in giant armor. There's more to it than that, but hopefully that starts to give you a better idea.

I am one of the creators of backpacks (not capes) and I care deeply about the game and the people who play it. I take great pride in my art and I want it to be the best it can be for everyone. Unfortunately, game development is a series of compromises and this is the best possible solution. It's almost never as simple as it seems.

I am more frustrated that the clipping issue that was present in the first game has carried over into the second game. I cannot believe that ArenaNet decided to circumvent the issue by adding the capability to hide weapons instead of tackling the issue. It feels incredibly lazy, especially as this has been a major community bug bear for years!

I love the gemstore cape. That doesn't mean I think they're perfect, or can't be improved - but I love them all the same.

Many of my characters had the same issue that @KidRoleplay.3615 mentioned, which is that they've established their looks without a cape. I do have several guardian/warrior type characters who rock the cape now, and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

As for clipping, I just fully expected that to happen - I have yet to see a game that really does capes seamlessly well. The weapon hiding was an added bonus for me, easy way to eliminate clipping. It just so happens that the toons I have carrying legendary weapon skins aren't the ones using capes, so it's not like I'm losing that bit of gaudy effect spam anyways.

Anet did pretty good with their engine, however I just dont like the look of them. They look weird to me. I can appreciate the work that went into them, and really... kudos... what Anets devs and programmers have done with that engine is really incredible.However, Id love an option to not show capes and infusions :( Both are just unaesthetic to me and ruin the otherwise good graphics for me.

Eh, it looks better on some armor combinations than others.

However I really wish it didn't float so far away from the character. I'm sure it was done that way to prevent some sort of clipping with some armor, but I haven't found what combo that is. Maybe its supposed to look natural when you have a shield stowed?

If it connected a little higher up and was a bit flatter, it would look much better.

However, I've found a transmog combination that makes that less noticeable, so I'm ok with it for now.

Um ... monetization usually refers to something that makes RL cash for the game publisher. If you want it to be completely automatically free, there are very few things in the game that are like that. Starter gear and starter dyes, starter character face/body/hair, daily login rewards ... I'm drawing a blank on anything else. Everything requires gold or karma or invested play time to gather the pieces. While the guild cape seems a tad expensive in terms of game resources for what it is, it's hardly a cash grab.

OP, I really love your cosplay, it's brilliantly well done.

@Dahkeus.8243 said:Eh, it looks better on some armor combinations than others.

However I really wish it didn't float so far away from the character. I'm sure it was done that way to prevent some sort of clipping with some armor, but I haven't found what combo that is. Maybe its supposed to look natural when you have a shield stowed?

If it connected a little higher up and was a bit flatter, it would look much better.

However, I've found a transmog combination that makes that less noticeable, so I'm ok with it for now.

Just read what charrbeque posted just afew post above yours.I wil make it easier and just quote him/her aswell.

@"Charrbeque.8729" said:A dev explained it on Reddit.https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/e5mqr8/capes_and_backpacks_in_general_would_look_better/f9nnn5u/?context=1000

Capes are one of the most difficult things we've ever had to implement, for so many complicated reasons. Backpacks are similarly irritating. One of the many factors here is body scaling and armor. There is a single backpack model which has to work whether you're fat, skinny, wearing a skin tight suit, or huge, bulky, spiky armor. If the cape is fitted snug to a skinny, tight suit wearing character, it will be completely inside the body of a chonker in giant armor. There's more to it than that, but hopefully that starts to give you a better idea.

I am one of the creators of backpacks (not capes) and I care deeply about the game and the people who play it. I take great pride in my art and I want it to be the best it can be for everyone. Unfortunately, game development is a series of compromises and this is the best possible solution. It's almost never as simple as it seems.