Aviator Box and other items placed under chests purposely to annoy/prevent players from looting

Dear ArenaNet developer team,I have been playing Drizzlewood Meta event tonight and while looting treasure chests at the end of the south part of the event a player dropped an Aviator Memory box well hidden under the chest and I got stuck with the transformation. Due to not being able to locate the box to remove the annoying unwanted animation and due to looking for the box I have lost progress on the loot and it's been really awkward for me to not being able to remove the animation. Can you please ban this toy from Meta events? The aviator memory box is just one of the many exploits bad players use to troll other players and this issue should be addressed by you as it's not funny for those who are affected and also it's impossible sometime to locate the box and undo the transformation.I have been supporting your company and game since last summer with my hard earned money and I think I really don't deserve to have my gaming experience spoiled by someone who just wants to be annoying to others. This experience happened to me quite often after Meta events and it's something that really annoys me.This issue has been reported by many other players before me and I am sure a lot of players consider placing items and portals under treasure chests or important mechanics annoying and unfun as it can prevent players from looting their reward or getting stuck into an unwanted animation for the whole meta event with the risk of being removed from the instance after logging off to remove the effect.

My suggestion is to ban novelties, portals, merchant traders and anything else that can be used to violate the TOS during and at the end of the Meta events to put an end to this disruptive conduct that has endured for too long.Another idea would be to ban novelty boxes on maps with regular Meta Events, for example: Dragonfall, Auric Basin, Drizzlewood Coast etc... This, however, would only solve part of the problem because it wouldn't prevent players to place portals, tables or merchants under treasure chests.

Regards@ArenaNet Team.4819

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

ArenaNet hasn't figured out a way to do this yet, but you're definitely not alone in wanting it.

One possible solution would be to have settings like enable/disable player novelties and enable/disable player portals & merchants, but I have no idea how hard it is to add new settings. Similar suggestions for toggling infusions and the like, just hasn't been touched by the company yet. It'd be nice if they eventually addressed these things, as it'd be pretty significant QoL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

there has been similar discussions in the past regarding this and in the years that have gone i have not seen arenanet do anything about it.

it's a frequent trolling tactic in Auric Basin and Tangled Depths metas not just in Drizzlewood.

aside from the above mentioned, another one of the proposed solutions in the past is for chests/objects should have a no-spawn zone in their hitbox meaning if you want to place a portal, a novelty box or anything player-spawned, it can only be within a certain distance away and not stacking on the chest/object/interactable

but yeah arenanet doesnt seem to care about players trolling others as there has been nothing done about this "issue"

imo it doesnt bother me, but i watch what i click/press F on. if it doesnt say "open chest" or something i try to manually select the reward chest. don't blindly spam F or something and you'll be fine :)

• Like 2

One thing I do is check the minimap, all things like the aviator box show the double flag on the minimap so I know it’s there before even thinking of clicking, there is always a way to get the chests, personally I stand in the middle of the chest and look straight up, normally highlights the chest to press f rather than the box.

@Illumine Sparkler.6019 said:One thing I do is check the minimap, all things like the aviator box show the double flag on the minimap so I know it’s there before even thinking of clicking, there is always a way to get the chests, personally I stand in the middle of the chest and look straight up, normally highlights the chest to press f rather than the box.

You can also use your mouse to select the chest and click it.

I honestly never encountered this in PvE. So it can't be "every meta"...I frequently see siege trolls in WvW and the like, but that's bothering nobody because if you get killed, especially in the middle of a fight, you have to waypoint anyway...I once saw someone place trebuchets on the synths in a keep, but you can just mouse click the nodes and gather them easily so it was just a bit of "fun" i guess.

@"Veprovina.4876" said:I honestly never encountered this in PvE. So it can't be "every meta"...I didn't mean every time a meta is done.But in every map meta I've done, there's been at least once a clown to pull out that troll box.And with Auric Basin meta for the last community event, I have noticed at least three of these boxes every day.

@Adamixos.6785 said:

@Illumine Sparkler.6019 said:One thing I do is check the minimap, all things like the aviator box show the double flag on the minimap so I know it’s there before even thinking of clicking, there is always a way to get the chests, personally I stand in the middle of the chest and look straight up, normally highlights the chest to press f rather than the box.

You can also use your mouse to select the chest and click it.

A few trolls have become very adept at placement to block and it isn't that easy as you make it out to be at times.

• Like 1

@AgentMoore.9453 said:ArenaNet hasn't figured out a way to do this yet, but you're definitely not alone in wanting it.

One possible solution would be to have settings like enable/disable player novelties and enable/disable player portals & merchants, but I have no idea how hard it is to add new settings. Similar suggestions for toggling infusions and the like, just hasn't been touched by the company yet. It'd be nice if they eventually addressed these things, as it'd be pretty significant QoL.

The solution is pretty simple. Don't allow spawning of anything if the person attempting to do so is within interaction range of anything else. This could be handled client side too.

• Like 3

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:I honestly never encountered this in PvE. So it can't be "every meta"...I didn't mean every time a meta is done.But in every map meta I've done, there's been at least once a clown to pull out that troll box.And with Auric Basin meta for the last community event, I have noticed at least three of these boxes every day.

Well i've honestly never seen it so idk... Maybe it's the EU/NA thing? Are you on NA? Cause i often read on the forums that NA servers can be quite toxic sometimes.

In any case, the baffling thing is how that's happening in the first place, just make it so the items can't be placed over other objects. How hard can that be?But i'm also sure we're going to get toooons of people starting to defend Anet quoting "sphagetti code", or worse "i'd rather they work on content" like it would require 2 years to fix a small problem like this.

Learned my lesson the last time i made a suggestion.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:I honestly never encountered this in PvE. So it can't be "every meta"...I didn't mean every time a meta is done.But in every map meta I've done, there's been at least once a clown to pull out that troll box.And with Auric Basin meta for the last community event, I have noticed at least three of these boxes every day.

Well i've honestly never seen it so idk... Maybe it's the EU/NA thing? Are you on NA? Cause i often read on the forums that NA servers can be quite toxic sometimes.

In any case, the baffling thing is how that's happening in the first place, just make it so the items can't be placed over other objects. How hard can that be?But i'm also sure we're going to get toooons of people starting to defend Anet quoting "sphagetti code", or worse "i'd rather they work on
content
" like it would require 2 years to fix a small problem like this.

Learned my lesson the last time i made a suggestion.

It happens on eu servers as well, I play there but its usually the first big chest in ab meta and some mesmer/raid portal guy on first chak pod after chak gerent wall.

@Balsa.3951 said:ppl paid for the right to troll, sadly anet will not do anything just loot carefully and dont complain in mapchat bcs that will motivate trolls to go on

If anet would remove the object they paid for because of their stupidity, that is called getting your just deserts. The innocent would complain, but that's just too bad. Don't worry though, since anet won't remove anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Honestly this could be a UI fix in one of two ways:

• imagine being in-range to N items to interact with, and we get a menu to select from where it lists all items to interact with (and no not like the popup menu we get when opening up the strikes/drm content)
  • or add a new keybind (everybody loves new keybinds!) - one to interact with Player generated everythings (portals/novelties/banners), one for interacting with NPC's, one for interacting with loot chests! Hey, there's actually an AOE Loot Button already; why not make that function to open loot chests AND pickup aoe-dropped-loot?
  • Like 1

@Veprovina.4876 said:Well i've honestly never seen it so idk... Maybe it's the EU/NA thing? Are you on NA? Cause i often read on the forums that NA servers can be quite toxic sometimes.As @Linken.6345 said, I've played on both EU and NA servers and I've seen it on both. Not all the time but often enough for me to be on the look out for such trolling. Like the OP and many others, I dislike this kind of trolling and I really dislike the fact that Anet has failed to do anything about it.