Off-line

I beg you Anet, please bring the old "Offline" word back. It's clean and clear, and consistent with the "Online" counterpart. This hyphen is messing it all up and I feel very unsettled by simply looking at that line. 
I hope I'm not the only one in this.

• Like 31

16 minutes ago, Glaswen.7926 said:

I hope I'm not the only one in this.

Nah, the entire OCD portion of the playerbase (self included) is quietly hissing at this. Not only is it visually uncomfortable, it also doesn't clarify or improve anything. Changing things just to change things. Don't like.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

I'm glad someone at Anet is busy with the important stuff.

People have been asking for this change for years.

I'd have preferred an announcement, though; some time to prepare for this; it's not even in the patch notes.

• Haha 14
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Is this an american thing?

Not really.  Both are correct just like how some use e-mail and others use email.  The hyphenated versions tend to be the older, original version of the words.

Edited by Ayrilana.1396
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why on earth was this chang-ed after 8 years?

Can this please be changed back? I've never seen anyone use Offline with a dash. If it has to be kept fsr, at least make it consistent with On(-)line - not that that would be much better.

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

No one ever believes me, but I keep saying there's a frustration-eating gaki infiltrated among the dev staff. 

It probably has kidnapped one of the devs, and it's impersonating them while keeping them trapped in their own basement or a storage unit. 

Why? Because a frustration-eating gaki needs people to have the feeling of frustration to live, and so in every udpate it always adds something that is out of the blue, that makes no sense, and is frustrating like this one thing.

It's the only plausible explanation left by process of elimination. 

I'll get you one day, frustration gaki, you'll see! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Weirdest change ever. All apps use Offline. What is the point changing it after 9 years... I just don't understand. Maybe online can become on-line too...  Anyway I'm going off-line. TY for the previous false ban in 2014 BTW for farming mats ( we detected nothing wrong in our systems , but we will let you off in this occasion). Friend and I got banned at the same time. Just showing farming spots and a couple of hours across maps. Good-Bye.  A-Net.

Edited by catsup.5304
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Siryx.5124 said:

are you serious?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/online

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/off-line

Apparently the US Webster's dictionary puts 'off-line' with the hyphen by default, but not online,  maybe why anet also do the same while another says "Off-line and on-line may be hyphenated or written as single words, offline and online. These are all standard spellings"  source https://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2guides/guides/wrtps/index-eng.html?lang=eng&lettr=indx_catlog_o&page=9RJt5wpIR9Rc.html

9 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Nah, the entire OCD portion of the playerbase (self included) is quietly hissing at this. Not only is it visually uncomfortable, it also doesn't clarify or improve anything. Changing things just to change things. Don't like.

Honestly I've never considered myself ocd, but the moment I saw the first person go Off-line last night in my chat box, it made me feel really uncomfortable.

I wondered if I was seeing things and had never noticed the hyphen or the capitalized O before, but glad to know it really is a "new thing". I'll adapt if this stays, but I'd prefer them to revert the change.

• Like 9