Enough with the "New Race"

Rikimaru.7890

It has been requested for a long time now, like ever since GW2 came out, but it's not going to happen no matter how much you nag about it.You are asking for something that is nigh impossible to do, you would have to pretty much start a fundraiser for several million for ANET to do it.I get it, you want more look diversity, but the whole games story would require a do-over to do it.

Ok let's assume we get a new race like Tengu, so how are we going to introduce them to the story now?Assuming a new race is intoduced after LW4 with EXPAC3 how is a Tengu character suppose to correlate with the story from that point?I mean how are they suppose to be the Pact Commander without ever taking part in the war with Zhaitan?Or how are they suppose to have the special bond with Aurene without taking part in LW2 or HoT storylines?Not to mention how would this new character know any of the past events that effect the current story or have same relations with all the characters we met?Even if this was somehow made possible then what about doing all those previous part of the story?Like you decide to do the war with Zhaitan? You would be literally time traveling into the past then.

On the other hand if we decide to introduce a new race exactly where it all started i.e. 1325 AE where the whole story of the Pact Commander began it won't work either.Depending on which race we choose we get one of the members of Destiny's Edge to be our "mentor" who later organises our introduction into the 3 orders and ..... you know the rest.So problem is we would need a new member of Destiny's Edge that would be from the new race we get to play. Obviously we could join one of the 3 orders without knowing the members of Destiny's Edge, but reuniting them is part of the story and without that member who "mentors" our character we would never get to meet them in the first place.

But even if somehow we could solve all those continuity problems there would still be other problems. Like the new race would require their own starter areas i.e. a new city and a 1-15 level area of their own which would have to become part of current central tyria map. Also all armour sets would need a redesign to accomodate the new race.Not to mention all the voice acting that would have to be done and redone just for it to work.You are basically asking ANET to flip the whole game upside down just because you want a new look, despite the fact all 5 races have only a cosmetic difference really.So a new one would be the same and you expect ANET to go through all those problems just for that.

The only way this could be done is with a new Makeover Kit that will allow you to change race into a different one, but it would be for looks only. Meaning if you were Charr before using it NPC's would still treat you as such, but you would have the appearence of a different race. But that would still require the armour redesigns.

So get over it, no new race, it's not happening, not now, not with 3rd expac, not ever, got it?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Rauderi.8706 said:tl;dr - Gimme burbs.

We could start by having a Tengu join Dragon's Watch. Gets us familiar with having one around, and at least integrates them into the story before releasing them as playable. And it's not like the story cared when Revenants were released.

Difference though is that one is a profession that doesn't affect the story, while your race does. Anet has already gave their statement about a new race anyways. They have said it's not impossible but it most likely isn't coming due to story issues.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Personally I don't see a new race needs all those requirements that you say it needs to have. To me a new race would need their own personal story, and or start where the story left off. I don't see why you have to ignore continuity just so that you can play old story with all your characters. Plus be honest, with every expansion, Arenanet has brought out these skips that basically tell you to completely skip all that progression and start straight away in the latest area.

Hell, Path of Fire came with a lvl 80 boost, Elonian style character options and such things, just so you could make an "elonian character", it wasn't directly advertised, sure but the direction was there. For all intents and purposes, you could say that Elonian Humans are a new Race.

@"Rikimaru.7890" said:It has been requested for a long time now, like ever since GW2 came out, but it's not going to happen no matter how much you nag about it.

I always hope that people who want new races will (eventually) learn to understand why it's incredibly unlikely to happen (and I've written extensively to help expose some of the reasons).

But all the same, I think folks who want it should continue to ask for it.

• It's not always the same people. New players join the game and wonder about it. Returning players ask if it's happened yet.
  • There's reason to hope that things might be different. Eventually. ANet's changed a "no, almost certainly not" into "surprise! here it is" in the past. (Perhaps nothing so monumental, but still.)

I don't think it's realistic to expect new races, but neither do I think it's a waste of time for people to ask for the sorts of things they want.

@DarcShriek.5829 said:OP, people said the same thing about mounts.

Two big differences with mounts:

• Apparently, ANet had always planned on adding mounts to GW2. They just hadn't decided on how to implement them ANet style.
  • They never said they had no current plans for mounts. They almost never commented about it at all. In contrast, they've commented more than once (via multiple employees) about why a new race is unlikely.

In other words, we didn't change ANet's mind about mounts.

Another technical issue is amor design and weapons they have rework every amor skin and outfit and change weapon animations too fit new race wich basicly is about 2 years work and every line be recorded.but op is mad if anyone actelly enjoyed personal story(my opinion the personal story was slow and dull with very little sense of progress in them)

@Ardid.7203 said:A new race would need a lot of work. It is true. Make it happen anyway.

It's not just a lot of work though. It's more than that. It's a lot of work, a lot of money/time and it means other features/things are not going to be made while that a lot of work is happening. So the question isn't about whether a new race would be cool or whether you'd enjoy it. It's about what percentage of the population finds this to be an issue worthy of attention particularly because it would be hard and expensive. Redoing the story with a new voice actor alone is going to cost bucks.

Sigh... the real reason we'll probably never be getting a new race is because they already have to hire ten freaking voice actors for dozens of player character voice lines every single patch. TEN! Most games have one, maybe two voice actors for your character. It would already be enough work getting a playable character model with every piece of equipment already in the game, but to permanently increase routine voice acting costs on top? Yeah, doubtful.

Dedicated healers, tanks, raids, mounts, all things that people swore would never happen and wished others would stop asking for them. Lol.

Just curious, does it bring you guys pain to see people hoping for a new race? Does it just fill you with rage that you are FORCED against your will to read threads about races? Or are you just generally negative people in all aspects of life?

Is it likely to happen? No. Could it happen? Of course. So let people talk about their hopes for a game they love in peace and stop being haters. :-P

@Vayne.8563 said:

@"Ardid.7203" said:A new race would need a lot of work. It is true. Make it happen anyway.

It's not just a lot of work though. It's more than that. It's a lot of work, a lot of money/time and it means other features/things are not going to be made while that a lot of work is happening. So the question isn't about whether a new race would be cool or whether you'd enjoy it. It's about what percentage of the population finds this to be an issue worthy of attention particularly because it would be hard and expensive. Redoing the story with a new voice actor alone is going to cost bucks.

The way I see it, people complain about lootboxes and I don't ever tell people to stop complaining about lootboxes, I tend to argue about the value of the loot in said boxes.

The OP seems to target the expressed desire for a new race which would be akin to "Lootboxes will always be there and is necessary, it would sacrifice too much revenue to get rid of them". Whether that's true or not doesn't dismiss the relationship between the player and the publisher and the methods of acquiring money from those players. Sure, lootboxes may not go away but other avenues can be sought to strengthen the player/publisher relationship.

Same with new races. It may be difficult, costly, time consuming, etc, but that doesn't dismiss how it could enrich the game's story, improve our relations with the game, improve customization options, etc. Anything worth doing isn't going to be easy and even if they are picking simple low-hanging fruit, they can still have long-term projects to add in as well.

Besides all that, other aspects should be discussed about what sacrifices could be made to help things along without hurting the quality, like the main issue brought up is voice actors and there are MANY solutions to smooth over that. Story? That's also a simple solution....

The same thing was said about gliding, mounts and bringing out Gods to fight. Now we have all of does... If anyone can pull it off its Anet awesome team! =)There are many ways to pop up a new race...I'm surprise Anet haven't brought up in story or readings in game or lore the fact that with the new discoveries on the "Exalted and Forge living armor" magitech combine with Golemancy, the Dwarves can be restore as a new type of Race and they can add Golemancer too as a new Elite too!

I think, (this is just my opinion) that if they introduce another race they will have to link it to the main story in a way, as if events transpire, either if there was never a Commander to take charge and it was the NPC's Destinies Edge Guild with the other NPC's who did the story up until now... OR basically the new races is an unlock and another story playable character that was inspire by the Commanders actions in the past... to continue the fight. That would mean needing to have a character that did all the other expansions and Living story until the setting of this new races pop up. I think other MMO have done this... and something similar was introduce in WoW with the new sub-races... and its Elite Demon Hunter class, you needed a lv 80 character to unlock it or something like that.

Point is it can be done and I honestly can't wait to see how Anet Team does it! Anet ROCKS!!!

It is a possibility that Anet has reserved some "assets" from an earlier time or during initial gw 2 development and are simply holding on to those "assets" which could be a race that fits all the wep, armor and back skins. So the argument that it would take too much time and resources is not an absolute fact.

I believe their is a good chance that if there is a new race it will be Tengu. Their Territory is in the middle of the map. it's a race we don't have a lot of info on and would be great for expanding the lore. Think new and exciting factor.

So thinking of development and the time needed you need to consider that games hold onto assets sometimes for years before they get released into the game. It could very well be the next xpac or implemented during a living story patch. I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

The reasoning behind keeping it secret would be have something people dont know about coming doown the pipes to generate excitement by surprising news. A game company doesn't show their hand if it makes marketing sense to withhold information.

I'll reiterate though... don't hold your breath.

Archived