For the love of everything, get rid of reactions...

Arnox.5128

3 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I don't think we see eye to eye on a lot of things, but this one I fully agree with. It really adds nothing to discussions and because it's anonymous, it's a cowardly way of disapproving or ridiculing someone, since we all know that the confused one is used mainly as dislike and the haha one is often used to ridicule people's posts.

I'm not sure why Anet is allowing this easy and anonymous way of being negative. There should only be like and thank you and if you disagree with someone then at least you'll have to do it via a post with your forum name on it.

I dont agree either its no emoji or all of them.

Why should like and thanks not have to write an essay on why they like or thank the poster

When people disagreeing have to?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

I dont agree either its no emoji or all of them.

Why should like and thanks not have to write an essay on why they like or thank the poster

People who use like buttons aren't abusing the anonymity of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

The fact multipage discussions spawn over something as simple and ubiquitous as an emoji system should prove as sufficient evidence that this forum is not being run well.

Years of kowtowing to the extreme self martyring of a vocal minority in this community getting dramatically upset about something as simple thumbs downs or confused emojis has created this issue.

It's enabled a culture where a small number of vocal participants feel it is more effective to "run to mom and dad" looking for system changes rather than accept that their posts, opinions or fluff are not as popular as they think they are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 8

22 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Nobody "has to". I think it would be nice, though. Saying "I disagree" and then walking away does nothing for the discussion. Stating your amusement or confusion are not points of argument. You have to explain those to turn them into a topic of the conversation, otherwise there is no way to react to them. Unless, of course, that is precisely the point.

It would be nice if people gave reasons why they do like a post, as well, but when you like something, you rarely have anything else to add, so it's less of question mark, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

33 minutes ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

The fact multipage discussions spawn over something as simple and ubiquitous as an emoji system should prove as sufficient evidence that this forum is not being run well.

Years of kowtowing to the extreme self martyring of a vocal minority in this community getting dramatically upset about something as simple thumbs downs or confused emojis has created this issue.

It's enabled a culture where a small number of vocal participants feel it is more effective to "run to mom and dad" looking for system changes rather than accept that their posts, opinions or fluff are not as popular as they think they are.

You're reading a lot into forum threads.

All it takes is one person to start one, and one person to reply.

There are plenty of threads here that go on to many pages because lots of people make one sensible post a piece, but one person continues doggedly answering them all. It makes the thread look like there's some big issue, when there really isn't, and then we get the "these kinds of posts show how degraded this community/ all MMO players/ this generation/ all humanity have become".

So far in all the emoji threads, it looks to me like there are a few people who really hate the emojis, a good number of people who wouldn't mind them going away or being changed, and a good number of people who think they're fine or meaningless. It's quite a leap to take that into some kind of statement of the degeneracy of snowflake feelings culture or whatever.

Are you thinking that forum moderators should be shutting down these threads? On what basis? Where are the lines as to what's an acceptable viewpoint and what's just a vocal minority that should be silenced?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Reactions add absolutely nothing to whatever is being discussed.  It's like people on Reddit downvoting what they don't agree with when downvoting was ment to weed out off topic posts.  And because you didn't put dislike as an emote people will use the confused emoji as a dislike instead.

It's actually really, really pathetic and petty.

Edit: See a bunch of meaningless emotes.  They add absolutely nothing to this or any conversation.  Frankly they do more harm then good when people just try to bury or invalidate things they don't want to see instead of making a salient point against anything you posted.  But unfortunately that's what communication in real life and even here on the internet is like now these days.

Edited by PMoneyMobileRobot.4630
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

As I've stated before I don't see why people should get worked up over an emoji.    I barely even notice them when reading posts.   I've gotten my fair share of reactions on posts both positive and the dreaded confused.  I just close the notification window and go about my business because I don't care.   The interesting thing is that I see this topic brought up here every few weeks or so.   I participate on another forum that isn't related to gaming and is much more active than this forum.   It has a similar reaction system which also includes a sick face, crying face and wait for it..... even the dreaded thumbs down (which gets used often).

I've been on that forum for a very long time, follow it daily and despite the high level of activity only one time can I ever recall someone complaining about an emoji reaction.   That was a person that was clearly trolling a certain thread and ended up getting banned.   I see the reactions used often on that forum and it really has not been a topic of debate or discussion that I have ever seen.   So I wonder if these reactions are such an issue here why it isn't an issue on the other message board I frequent? 

Overall I could not care less if they got rid of the reaction system.   I don't even care if they only leave the positive ones for people that only want validation from their posts.  I just find it a bit odd it is such an issue here and not on another much more active forum I frequent. 

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

As I've stated before I don't see why people should get worked up over an emoji.    I barely even notice them when reading posts.   The interesting thing is that I see this topic brought up here every few weeks or so.   I participate on another forum that isn't related to gaming and is much more active than this forum.   It has a similar reaction system which also includes a sick face, crying face and wait for it..... even the dreaded thumbs down (which gets used often).

I've been on that forum for a very long time, follow it daily and despite the high level of activity only one time can I ever recall someone complaining about an emoji reaction.   That was a person that was clearly trolling a certain thread and ended up getting banned.   I see the reactions used often on that forum and it really has not been a topic of debate or discussion that I have ever seen.   So I wonder if these reactions are such an issue here why it isn't an issue on the other message board I frequent? 

My guess is it's the ambiguity. A straightforward thumbs down is read as, "Okay, someone disliked my post". "Confused," often means "dislike", sometimes "eyeroll", sometimes "huh?". The poster is left wondering whether people just straight up disagree or if there really is something that didn't make sense in their post.

Giving us back the thumbs down would add clarity, and feel less passive agressive. Don't know if it would reduce the number of "I hate the forum emoji" threads, but it might.

I don't have a passionate feeling about this either way, that's just my speculation. Sometimes forcing everyone into politeness makes things socially worse than the clarity of honesty.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, TwiceDead.1963 said:

I mean your post isn't really a discussion starter either, but for whatever it's worth I agree.

It's supposed to be an accessibility/convenience thing, but just like up/down vote systems these forum interactions really don't do anything to foster discussion because you provide easy and vague 'answers' that could mean anything, but suffices to convey "I agree/disagree" without having to tell anyone why/argue your case. It's also perfect for knee-jerks.

It's not really about adding to discussions though, it's just to garner forum interaction and possibly increase it's population by making it easier to.. participate in whatever people post. If Anet wanted to retain discussion as the focus, they wouldn't have added reactions.

On the other hand, there's also the case where none of those 20(hypothetical) reactions has anything of value to add to the discussion anyway without retreading ground, so they can easily throw in their lot with whoever already wrote a better answer than they could.

I still don't like it, but it is pretty much everywhere in the mainstream and sadly it's here to stay. Much as I hate it but long gone are the days where people were forced to type mini-essays on their cellphones.

Now I did find this funny, but a lack of varied reactions is a different discussion that should be had since it's here to stay.

Right now we have four, two to convey I agree, one that goes into SUPER AGREE. Completely Redundant.

One makes you Sad which could literally mean anything because people can be happy/sad or down/sad or funny/sad, and then we have Confused.

Confused is as close as you get to outright disagreement on the spectrum on here (and is what people mostly use it for), but it doesn't actually convey that as it could mean "I don't get it, please elaborate" but when used on here it could just as easily be "WTF mate this is some crap yo' " because nothing gets closer. It's kinda silly but I suppose 'Open to interpretation' is the whole idea to avoid toxic behavior or something.

On the other hand, nobody is forcing anyone to sit down and decipher reactions in a "What could it mean?!" mystery fashion. They are what they are, insufficient.

This is why "tl;dr" was coined.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I dont mind them but just wish I could hide the notification since there's no reason to revisit my post unless someone quoted it. They also think we need notified twice for them for some reason. The popup bar + sound and the ( ! )

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I have to admit, it gives me joy to use an emoji on every single post in any thread about forum emojis.

I loved the "confused reaction" thread. It was like the gift that kept on giving.

I just read this whole thread, and you're right.  It is absolutely impossible not to abuse emojis in an emoji thread.

Edited by Lyssia.4637
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

They are so freaking lame and add NOTHING to discussions.

They help the people who miss downvote buttons cope, they get to spam "confused" and feel validated without being actual nuisances to anyone wanting to have a mature discussion with differing point of views.

Edited by Ashgar.3024
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Their purpose wouldn't be expected to serve as a primary way to "discuss" a topic however they do clean up a post if for example someone posts something they agree with and feel they could not have said better themselves? Therefore instead of copy pasting the same response as a past person, it's perfectly sensible to simply react to the post with a positive emoji. Or even in a case like this where YOUR post was pure emotional and opinionated "emojis are dumb!" They can use a confused emoji to simply disagree. The OP essentially amounted to being about as productive as an emoji. And why remove a niche feature that people are clearly utilizing over a pet peave?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 8:55 PM, Arnox.5128 said:

In any case, a fair amount of people in this thread have already expressed how dumb they find it as well.

A fair amount of people thought adding raids to the game was a dumb idea too, should we get rid of raids?   People's are entitled to their opinions, but their opinions don't make policy.

Reactions give a small idea of what people are generally thinking about a certain topic.  We don't have downvotes, so people use confused, but it lets you know the community, or the forum community at least, is really behind this, or some people are behind this, and some aren't. They're fine for what they are.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1