When and how much do you tip?

EpicName.4523

1 hour ago, Svarty.8019 said:

No! I'm European. Tipping is an awful concept from another continent - I don't want it in my culture.

You can have my gratitude and a sense of fulfilment, and the knowledge that one day I'll do the same for you - without expecting a "tip".

Being an American who has never had the opportunity to go to Europe... why is it awful?  Do you mind explaining?  When you say you don't want it in your culture, does that mean that you'd be offended if someone sent you a tip to thank you for something or would you just return it?

I mean, as Gibson wrote earlier in the thread, I'd hate to offend someone, and there's no way to know in-game where someone's from.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

Being an American who has never had the opportunity to go to Europe... why is it awful?  Do you mind explaining?  When you say you don't want it in your culture, does that mean that you'd be offended if someone sent you a tip to thank you for something or would you just return it?

I mean, as Gibson wrote earlier in the thread, I'd hate to offend someone, and there's no way to know in-game where someone's from.

In reality (not in-game), tipping seems like an insult. I don't see anybody offering "tips" to top earners, even if I think they're doing a good job, do you? 

It's a very clear mark of superiority - "I am better than you, and you deserve my pity". It's crumbs off the table. It's an indicator of class perceptions.

In-game tipping is all well and good, but I'd rather be the one offering payment for a service when I want it, rather than being offered services left and right and being expected to "tip". 

For me, being thanked or being sent a cheap, fun item is more satisfying than gold, it seems more personal and takes more consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Svarty.8019 said:

In reality (not in-game), tipping seems like an insult. I don't see anybody offering "tips" to top earners, even if I think they're doing a good job, do you? 

It's a very clear mark of superiority - "I am better than you, and you deserve my pity". It's crumbs off the table. It's an indicator of class perceptions.

In-game tipping is all well and good, but I'd rather be the one offering payment for a service when I want it, rather than being offered services left and right and being expected to "tip". 

For me, being thanked or being sent a cheap, fun item is more satisfying than gold, it seems more personal and takes more consideration.

Hm, that's very interesting.  Indeed I do not see top earners getting tips; the people who get tips and gifts here are often those making the least doing difficult jobs, and in that light, offering a tip is a way of saying "I really appreciate the job you are doing and think it's worth a lot more than you're getting paid."  Especially since almost all jobs where you are expected to get tips deliberately pay less, accounting for tips; so by NOT tipping, you are literally lowering their pay.  Of course, that's the opposite end of the same coin, and I can completely see how that can be seen as insulting.

I always thought of in-game "tips" as more like a service fee in one of those places where they urge you to "pay what you can if you feel what you got was worth it," so as not to price anyone out of the service.  But then, I very rarely see any "tips appreciated" messages for jps; must be when I play or something.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To me there are three reasons to take a port and one to reduce tipping.
1: I really can't do the puzzle ever:  5g
2: It is a really annoying puzzle. I managed it in the past, but it is a daily: 2,5g
3: I can easily do this, but a port is present and it is convinient: 50s

When the port is given by mesmer whom I doubt he/she did it herself (e.g. when the port is done by a mesmer being member of a certain guild in EU), the tip is reduced by 50%

I don't do chests so usually I don't use teleport services from other players, but when I needed the aetherblade one for the Astralaria achievement I tiped 25 gold coin (and was worth of it!). On regular basis I tip 1 gold coin when I hear a well played melody from a random player in the cities. 

21 hours ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

It's off-topic, but in Europe, the belief is that tipping should not be necessary if staff are appropriately remunerated in the first place.

The implication being that staff who rely on tips for their livelihood shouldn't be in that situation in the first place. The employer should be paying them enough that they shouldn't have to rely on tips.

Let alone which, tipping is adversely affected by inappropriate social factors in the first place, such as the gender and race of the employee, and the customer's perception of those factors.

Tipping culture really is just awful.

Edit: Note that this has little to no bearing on tipping for JP portals in GW2, as the portaller doesn't get paid for it in the first place, and has no control over who accesses their portals.

If people choose to tip for portals, that's up to the individual. But touting for tips is a little gauche.

For taxi portalling services through nasty JPs like Chalice of Tears, I think it's reasonable to advertise a paid-for service, and I gladly pay those gracious mesmers who've taken me through it.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 11:09 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

I'm shocked that people tip gold for the daily jumping puzzle.

On 11/13/2021 at 12:05 PM, Harfang.1507 said:

Me too. I suspect a number of those were being tongue-in-cheek . . .

Nope.  I'm very casual and don't really care all that much for how much gold I have (currently around 1k), so tossing a GP for a port isn't such a big deal to me.  I'll make that up after a few world boss events.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

My tips range from 0 to 15 gold

Things that will reduce a Tip:

• Listed in LFG
  • Bad Attitude
  • Not responsive
  • Length of wait

Things that will increase a Tip:

• If I ask for help in Map
  • Difficulty of the request
  • Not asking for a tip
  • promptness

If I'm being honest the people I tip really well most times will return my mail. I am a more pay it forward type of person when this type of kindness is returned I always try to help some poor soul like myself with something down the road.

Never tipped, probably never will. Then again, I've never needed a portal to finish a jumping puzzle. Some dailies I can do faster than the cooldown on the mesmer's skill and I know I am not alone. Also, most daily JPs can be cheesed with mounts, which I consider a massive oversight by ANet.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

1-2g if they ask for tips, if there are more players getting helped. 

5g - to players who are dedicated

10g - For players who personally saw me struggling and spend their time to help me (I also send few goodies, so to not look like I paid for their help) 

Now I'm broke lol (my only affordable source of gold was removed in Update :( - VB bauble farm) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I find that when I do a mesmer portal run for dailies, or help people in general, I'm uncomfortable getting more than 50s-1g per tip. You sometimes see people tipping something like 2-5g, sometimes something ridiculous like 10g. Sometimes people tip nothing at all, which is ok too. I don't do it for the gold anyways.

The best tip you can give is to stick around and help liven things up with a rousing conversation on the nature of broken spoons.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mutisija.5017 said:

...i didnt realize that im supposed to tip anything, and now i feel bad. for all these years i have always just thanked them, and assumed that its enough😦

Most people don't expect Tips, so no worrys :). That you give them a thank you is more than most people do, believe me. And i think most Mesmer are more than happy over a simple thanks. At least that was the case for me, when i did years ago help people get the not so secret JP and diving goggles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1