It took almost a decade but FINALLY!! :D

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I second that. 😃

Hopefully, we will get something similar in regard of the Deep Sea Dragon! 😍 Just not another "Here, have half of the dragon to poke its eye out or shoot it with beams!" fight again, please. :classic_rolleyes:

I am actually hoping for something more along the lines of Mouth of Mordremoth for the DSD fight, with players having to fight it both above water and underwater in different phases or even possible having to coordinate attacks from above and below water to make it vulnerable or something.

I expect something like that would cause a lot of concerns for some players though as many really dislike underwater content  and would hate being forced to play the underwater role to beat the event.
But I would like to think there are enough players in the game who wouldn't mind playing the underwater role or are more like myself and would love to take the role and jump at the chance to do so.

Either way I don't think players fearing potential problems caused by a popularity issue of a role like that should dissuade Anet from trying out and developing new and unique content with currently underused mechanics.
If anything they should be trying to encourage players to enjoy underwater content more by supporting and improving it.
We would never have had mounts in the game if Anet had listened to all of us anti-mount naysayers back in the day lol.
They won us over because they really went all in on them and made them a spectacular addition to the game.
I strongly believe underwater content has great potential to do something similar if it just gets the improvements it needs to put it on par with the rest of the game. 🙂

• Like 3

On 2/1/2022 at 1:17 PM, jokke.6239 said:

Not hard to get, but easy to forget. 

I've experienced many times suddenly doing underwater content and realizing I have no weapon 😀

Same here! I'm like: "where are my skills?"

*reality sets in*

Reality: So, like, if you want to fight underwater, you're gonna need weapons.

Duh.

I'm surprised my desk doesn't have dents in it from me bashing it with my skull. XD

• Haha 3

I do find it quite amusing that, in this trailer, they showed  other specializations but not really showing the "willbender" in this trailer, or catalysts.    I can't think of any reason why willbender would be a   any sort of presentation liability 😒.  It's a good trailer overall.

Edited by quaniesan.8497
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

100% better than the current situation. I would take an entire uw raid wing instead of recycled story bosses ie strikes.

Tbh I would take UW raid just because I love underwater haha

The whole point of them recycling bosses though is simply to help players advance to higher tier difficulty levels against enemies and mechanics that they are already familiar with.. and most importantly of all, have hands on experience with!! which is and always has been the biggest thing I've believed divides the raiders from everyone else.

Personally I think this is a good compromise that may potentially even help raids in the future.
I am hoping that these new strikes will end up being the bridge between raids and the existing group content that I believe Anet is also hoping for as well.
But we'll just have to wait and see on that.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 6:17 PM, Teratus.2859 said:

An underwater world boss is so long overdue.

I cannot wait to jump in there and get eate.. I mean fight it 😄 

Don't forget the hilariousness of dozens of players whacking empty water cause the hitbox is miles away from the actual model 🤣

Edited by Nash.2681
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2022 at 12:56 PM, Teratus.2859 said:

I am actually hoping for something more along the lines of Mouth of Mordremoth for the DSD fight, with players having to fight it both above water and underwater in different phases or even possible having to coordinate attacks from above and below water to make it vulnerable or something.

I expect something like that would cause a lot of concerns for some players though as many really dislike underwater content  and would hate being forced to play the underwater role to beat the event.
But I would like to think there are enough players in the game who wouldn't mind playing the underwater role or are more like myself and would love to take the role and jump at the chance to do so.

Either way I don't think players fearing potential problems caused by a popularity issue of a role like that should dissuade Anet from trying out and developing new and unique content with currently underused mechanics.
If anything they should be trying to encourage players to enjoy underwater content more by supporting and improving it.
We would never have had mounts in the game if Anet had listened to all of us anti-mount naysayers back in the day lol.
They won us over because they really went all in on them and made them a spectacular addition to the game.
I strongly believe underwater content has great potential to do something similar if it just gets the improvements it needs to put it on par with the rest of the game. 🙂

nah the fight probably like the Drakkar one, we are in a Air Bubble or magic field with the Leviathan breaking in to get some hits. Noone will be forced to fight with underwater weapons.

That trailer also could have been just part of the story with the PC being eaten by the Leviathan and needs to fight his/her way out.

14 hours ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

I would take an entire uw raid wing instead of recycled story bosses ie strikes.

Are you aware of the many many many (did I mention many?) posts we've seen over the years with people asking for story and lore not to be locked behind 10-man instanced content?

Seeing how the new strikes are promoted as a major feature of the expansion, I doubt they're "recycled story bosses". More likely they have explicitely developed these as 10-man encounters, then toned them down (and added the fluff/voice/explanations) for the single player story experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Are you aware of the many many many (did I mention many?) posts we've seen over the years with people asking for story and lore not to be locked behind 10-man instanced content?

Seeing how the new strikes are promoted as a major feature of the expansion, I doubt they're "recycled story bosses". More likely they have explicitely developed these as 10-man encounters, then toned them down (and added the fluff/voice/explanations) for the single player story experience.

I must rewatch the trailer but I only saw one player got eaten by the Leviathan 

also did anet not said something about they dont want show strikes to not spoil the story?

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Confused 3

On 2/1/2022 at 11:47 AM, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

I am so ready for players to have even less clue what their skills do, have lvl 58 green weapons and helmets, incomplete runeset because most do not put a rune in their aquabreather. What can go wrong.

If anet somehow gated the boss behind having lvl 80 uw weapons and aquabreather i would be more excited. 

Wow. That is some self-aggrandizing elitist garble.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

nah the fight probably like the Drakkar one, we are in a Air Bubble or magic field with the Leviathan breaking in to get some hits. Noone will be forced to fight with underwater weapons.

That trailer also could have been just part of the story with the PC being eaten by the Leviathan and needs to fight his/her way out.

Haha possibly but I would hope unlikely XD

I do have to wonder how the fight will work mechanically though, considering how "limited" the underwater build options are.

I suspect that the siege turtle is probably going to end up playing some kind of role in the fight.. or there will be some kind of mechanic/mastery that everyone will gain access to in order to be able to CC the creature or something.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:01 PM, Teratus.2859 said:

I do have to wonder how the fight will work mechanically though, considering how "limited" the underwater build options are.

I suspect that the siege turtle is probably going to end up playing some kind of role in the fight.. or there will be some kind of mechanic/mastery that everyone will gain access to in order to be able to CC the creature or something.

Yes turtle will be a stage, then we fight like drakkar and sometimes we get pulled out of the bubble into the water.

I have big hope in anet that they this time around make the game way more comunity based. I feel all Of  EOD shouts u can't solo, u need to make friends. Which is something most MMOs forget at the moment, and something anet never really did.  

On 2/2/2022 at 5:56 AM, Teratus.2859 said:

Yes, that would be great!

Like as said, as long as we get to fight a whole Elder Dragon for a change, not just "parts" of it again. 😂 The eye-poking during the first Kralkatorrik fight mission was embarrassing, I laughed so hard.

I would love to see and fight a complete dragon model again for a change - Zhaitan, for instance, looked truly amazing and quite intimidating (though the final mechanics of pew-pewing it were a bit underwhelming).

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Wake me up when all professions actually have solid underwater performance. Cause i can assure you mesmers at the very least don't.

Yes, their underwater skills are quite terrible - where's the real damage? The only skill that does decent damage has a high cooldown and also needs to be placed precisely.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:49 PM, Super Hayes.6890 said:

You can craft ascended aquatic breathers right? The exotic rarity is the one that doesn't exist if memory serves. Season 3 is definitely the cheapest way to get one. All my characters are underwater equiped as soon as they hit 80.... ever since that one time... Looking forward to any underwater additions 😃

There are exotic ones too but only the rime-rimmed mariners ones from Wintersday. I think aquabreathers are not in the unique position where ascended ones are easier to find than other rarities.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:01 AM, Teratus.2859 said:

One possibility is that it will be like a lot of the base game world bosses where the mechanics aren't dependant on players builds and instead require things like phases where you attack the boss and phases where you clear other enemies or something to make it vulnerable again.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, that would be great!

Like as said, as long as we get to fight a whole Elder Dragon for a change, not just "parts" of it again. 😂 The eye-poking during the first Kralkatorrik fight mission was embarrassing, I laughed so hard.

I would love to see and fight a complete dragon model again for a change - Zhaitan, for instance, looked truly amazing and quite intimidating (though the final mechanics of pew-pewing it were a bit underwhelming).

Yeah Zhaitan was cool to look at but really bad to fight lol

Problem is doing a whole model like that is difficult, and when they do it they have to limit how much we can interact with it.
Personally I don't mind that so much though, Chasing Kralk through the mists is still one of my favourite moments in Gw2 even if was basically a glorified rail shooter.
I've never seen anything like that in another MMO.. hell even in most single player games.

If Dragon Fights have to be one only and that choice comes down to Epicness vs functionality then honestly I would choose Epicness.
But Mouth of Mordremoth did prove there is some room for both, and Kralk showed that it doesn't have to be a one and done type deal either, fighting Kralk in multiple phases was one of the big reasons why I consider him the best Elder Dragon story in Gw2 by a long shot.