The Skyscale Quest Line Is WAY Too Grindy, And Insulting [Merged]

I just finished my entire Skyscale collection, yeah it was a hell of a grind, but overall worth it. I understand that is an optional mount, you can play EoD without it, in fact i did all EoD without skyscale.  And i still need Griffon to full all mounts ^^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the skyscale collection has already been nerfed enough. you can even straight up skip some parts of it if you want. the whole reason why it takes so much effort and grinding is that skyscale allows you to just ignore 95% obstacles, climbing, gliding and jumping in the game. you can even fling yourself over entire mountains instead of taking the intended path around. the work is imo more than reasonable compared to the advantages of having skyscale.

Edited by Mutisija.5017
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

It was frustrated feedback. Seriously, why do some people see any negative feedback as 'whining'?

Because your claim of it being "a grind" and "an insult to the player", backed with exaggerated comparions, is ungrounded and - in all honesty - sounds quite ridiculous?

Had you written instead that it's "too much work" for you, people might have reacted differently.

If you want to see a real grind, try the Dragon Response Mission achievements or the Forging Steel achievements -- those are grindy.

6 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Well, to me, it did come across as whining.  I don't seem to be the only one who had that impression. 

You're not. 😉

5 hours ago, Xelqypla.6817 said:

I think we could all agree that the first part of the Skyscale collection is excessively dull. It's not that it's grindy. It's that it is very boring to do a scavenger hunt after scavenger hunt after scavenger hunt in one area.

"All" cannot agree, since I enjoy scavenger hunts. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What content requires the skyscale?  I can't think of any.  It was meant to be a legendary type of mount so the grind is appropriate.  You can complete content without it.

Nothing in this game is required, so everything is required. (Unless you don't want to play the game...)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I've yet to get my Skyscale but I like that the long path is there.

This is a horizontal progression game.

I've been here since launch day. Actually since beta. And I was in GW1 as of 2005.

And yet there is still a lot of things I've not finished. I've never suffered for not having the Skyscale.

But a horizontal progression game needs things for people to set themselves on the path for that will not come overnight. So appreciate that this long path to reach a goal is there. It gives people something to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

As previously stated by others, this is optional content meant for those who like a specific play style.

Being sent to a given area to collect X only, upon returning to the quest giver, to be told to go back to the same area and collect Y, only to be later told to go back and collect Z is a type of content that ANet spoke against in their explanations of what they were going for with GW2. This is the antithesis of a core concept for the game...but some players like early 2000's style errand running so ANet added it to this game. But at least they have kept it to side stories and such optional content.

So, OP, yeah even ANet dislikes this style of content, but they are in business to make money and a significant portion of the playerbase wanted it. 

Dont like it? Dont do it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The skyscale is generally considered superior to most mounts because it can more easily cover all terrain at minimal effort as a jack of all trades. Whilst it isn’t essential, its convenience makes it a sought after prize. The reason it feels long and grindy is because they listened to feedback about the griffon being too annoying to get in group content. They made the skyscale as something to fill time, keep maps playing and more importantly, be entirely soloable in small stages to make it accessible for casual players.

Sure it’s probably a bit overturned, but once you got it and maxed out the masteries to make it useful, then the work is quickly forgotten and you forever have an account wide, massively useful mount

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

So why was it whining? Feedback is useful, good or bad. Mine happened to point out things I did not enjoy about the first steps towards a Skyscale. So, again; how is it whining to give feedback?

To me, it didn't seem to be feedback; rather, complaining.  I didn't read any constructive points or thoughts on how to make it any better.  Also, you admitted that it was a rant which, in my opinion, is not constructive feedback. /shrug

Edited by kharmin.7683
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

And if I don't do this content; I don't get a mount. Sure. I'll just not have a skyscale, so HP trains I run with fly ahead and leave me scampering behind.

'Don't do content' is not a valid reason when something good is locked behind said content.

All the HP trains I’ve encountered require raptor only, and provide Mesmer ports for people who don’t have skyscale.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The first time I did the Skyscale (as soon as it was released) I found it incredibly annoying, especially with the collections only unlocking after the next daily reset. I finished the first collection 2 minutes after that and had to wait a full day to advance. It was also a giant pain to get 250 of each currency for the saddle - definitely took me a while of grinding, and I only completed it after a few weeks.

I did the collection again on my 2nd account a few months ago and completed the whole thing within a week. There's now only 2h between steps, and the Return To achis swamped me in currencies. There's a lot of steps but I found them quite enjoyable, I like being sent all over the world, and they've made it much easier/less tedious since it released.

The first part, all in Dragonfall, is very tedious - I think everyone is going to agree with that. Especially being sent back to the same place because you weren't able to pick something up that was there all along, maybe making it possible to do the collections concurrently would address that.

Still, best QoL mount.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Danger Ferret.6342 said:

Well, now you've done it. You've had a differing opinion from many GW2 gamers, so prepare for the community spirit ArenaNet is always touting. It will convince you to game elsewhere, believe me.

So what you're saying is that in order for the community to be accepting, they'd have to agree with the OP regardless of their own opinion?  You've acknowledged that others bad hold a different opinion so why can they not express it?  This is just coming off as toxic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

I come from a time in which games were very grindy to get anything and usually it was kill the same mob over and over (hundreds of kills) very time consuming. 

However, I rarely complaint about the grind as the mob mechanics were interesting or you were in a squad with friends, etc.  

Meaning I dont mind the grind but........ make it fun or interesting at least.

I have not gotten this particular mount for the same reason as OP.  I found the Griffon very grindy too but it was the only flying one at the time.

I got the turtle because it was fun and I bought most of the items @ the market place.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, TheSeraphim.7413 said:

It still cracks me up that GW2 is marketed as the "casual" MMO, yet has some of the most ball-numbing grinds as it's "endgame".

Reading the Legendary armor requirements/time limits made my FFXIV friends laugh their kitten's off.

Do they also laugh when you explain to them legendary weapons and armors are not needed since it has the same stats as ascended? And how easy it is to get them? And when you got that it will never be out of date? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

At least you got to do different things. If you think this is bad, wait until you see the Champion's Mastery Achievement. That will ruin your life for sure.

I had to run the same instance 5 times, for 6 different instances. I also had to replay the entire Champion's story. I hate being a 1 up guy, but I feel you there.

It was worth it though I love how my Primordus' right eye turned out in my transmog 100% worth it.

Edited by Aridon.8362
  • Sad 1

On 5/2/2022 at 4:25 PM, Tiamat.8254 said:

Good job you don't actually need the mount then. 

Actually with EoD you do.. a lot of stuff in EoD would be almost impossible with out a Skyscale.. The meta in DE and many of the masteries and HPs.

10 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Can't wait till you get to the turtle 😁

Yeah but the turtle is even more useless and optional.. At least the skyscale can be useful when its not sticking to every vertical surface in the game..

The turtle is useful for what exactly?

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Granrey.8920 said:

Meaning I dont mind the grind but........ make it fun or interesting at least.

Fun is subjective.  There have been many players who enjoyed the skyscale quest.

12 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

Actually with EoD you do.. a lot of stuff in EoD would be almost impossible with out a Skyscale.. The meta in DE and many of the masteries and HPs.

This is simply untrue in my experience.  I have a guildie who has completed almost all of EoD with me using the other mounts because he doesn't have a skyscale.  Almost impossible?  Hardly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Fun is subjective.  There have been many players who enjoyed the skyscale quest.

This is simply untrue in my experience.  I have a guildie who has completed almost all of EoD with me using the other mounts because he doesn't have a skyscale.  Almost impossible?  Hardly.

"almost" is not everything.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

"almost"

I won't disagree that EoD is certainly easier with a skyscale, and that the maps are probably designed more for them than any other map (with the exception of Dragonfall maybe?); however, my guildie has not really struggled to achieve things in these maps with a combination springer/griffon. 

EoD doesn't require a skyscale to complete content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

Yeah but the turtle is even more useless and optional.. At least the skyscale can be useful when its not sticking to every vertical surface in the game..

The turtle is useful for what exactly?

False. My daughter doesn't have a sky scale and manages with the mounts you need for POF. It's a bit more difficult granted, But she can't be bothered to get the sky scale, but has done more content than myself in EoD. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1