Opinions on upcoming "Cuddly Cat" Jade Bot Skin?

9 hours ago, Lottie.5370 said:

I'm just confused why they would make a skin for something we see for literal seconds every time we play.

I like the skin, I think it's cute, I just don't think it's worth it for the amount of time I see my jade bot.

Some people bought mail carriers, and we only see those for a couple of seconds, before they started making new skins a lot of people hadn't even noticed the default pigeon.

I'm not saying it makes sense or I agree with it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if people buy these.

7 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

You think NCSoft have any influence on this? Since they are Korean?

My understanding is that NCSoft West (the American division) influences some of the high level decision making, like overall budgets and when an expansion gets made, but they don't have any involvement in the details. It wouldn't surprise me if all they decide for the gem store is the targets for how much profit they need to make each quarter.

I've never worked in the games industry but when I've done reports for the board on my departments activities it's always just been high level aggregates like total number of cases taken on and number resolved, total expenditure and profit and maybe types of services offered. That's the level of feedback we got as well - they'd tell us to increase our targets or decrease expenditure but the detail of what exactly to do was always left up to the people doing the work.

But also liking cute things is hardly exclusive to Korea, just look at the popularity of cats and assorted baby animals on the internet, people all over the world get excited about that stuff.

• Like 1

Anything to get rid of Jade Tech on your screen is a good thing.

Just hope they do more of this as there's a lot of visuals that it would be nice to replace, virtuoso's pink blades, the awful mechanist jade, etc.

Game would be a lot nicer to look at, we get more customization, they make more money = everybody happy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

But also liking cute things is hardly exclusive to Korea, just look at the popularity of cats and assorted baby animals on the internet, people all over the world get excited about that stuff.

Yes but when it come to cute and sexy, Japan/China/Korea ain't exactly subtle

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Some people bought mail carriers, and we only see those for a couple of seconds, before they started making new skins a lot of people hadn't even noticed the default pigeon.

Mail carriers are one of the big reasons this seems so weird (skin design aside). The vast majority of the carriers were made in 2014 and 2015, and then ANet largely abandoned them. No doubt  people weren't largely interested in paying gems for something that appears and disappears so quickly.

Add this to several other "wait, I thought they'd learned that wasn't a good idea" choices recently, and it really does feel like ANet is being run by an entirely new team. There doesn't seem to be anyone to say, "Hey, guys, back in 2015 we tried this, and it didn't work out too well".

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

My understanding is that NCSoft West (the American division) influences some of the high level decision making, like overall budgets and when an expansion gets made, but they don't have any involvement in the details. It wouldn't surprise me if all they decide for the gem store is the targets for how much profit they need to make each quarter.

At the time of Icebrood Saga announcement, the people making decision for GW2 marketing seemed to be NCSoft execs. Mike Sibowitz that appeared then in wiki is listed as being an Anet employee, but was announced as NCSoft's VP of marketing, not as an Anet person. I'm quite sure that since that time Anet became even less independent and it's quite likely that the whole monetization stuff is managed independently from the game one nowadays, and falls completely under NCSoft West's umbrella.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Susy.7529 said:

Same as gathering tools skins or mail carriers skills.

Mail carrier, yeah.

Depending on how you play, though, gathering tools can get a lot more use, and some are ridiculously big and flashy.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Really not a fan of this for Tyria. I'm honestly glad that it's going to be almost never seen. To me it's overly-cutesie and feels like something I'd relate to a Final Fantasy crossover. I would have much rather seen... Anything(?) else. As someone else said, something like an Asuran take on it, Magitech, Aetherblade, Steampunk... Something. There are outstanding cool and cute options, but this genuinely feels to me as just an easy cater to a small portion of people to grab a quick buck. 

• Like 6

This is like gathering tool skins, something that you see for a very short time when doing some action. I can't recall seeing other people's bot tbh, nor I paid attention to that. If it's just for yourself to see, why stopping there and not just mod the game to show the skins you want even if everyone else see you with a plain mithril sword? It's Fashion Wars, just to show off.

What would bug me is them not making it an entity, so it doesn't show normally, because it'd overload the servers but now giving it skins. Your mini at least follows you. Or look, let us choose if we wanna show the bot or a mini. Then hiding them when the map is overcrowded as usual. Problem solved.

Personally I'd prefer skins for the jade mecha or at least be dyeable. For anyone thinking it could confuse people in competitive, who can see anything with the clusterfck of effects and everyone looking like a disco ball anyway?

About the theme it's true it's out of place as other people say, that it's all being so magical and fairy-like rather than what looked like a fantasy game about massive dragons, lots of people dying to them, but nope, you go around in your childish outfit shooting unicorns at murderer monsters. Some fun joke designs are fine, but everything being out of place... I guess if they keep making them they sell well.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:27 PM, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

4 out of the 5 EoD masteries were ways to add more items into gemstore. Guess this is the whaling expansion?

I was gonna make a joke to point out how right you are, but aren't PoF's masteries a similar percentage?

Regardless, Jade Bot skins are indeed quite ridiculous, made even worse that they're not going to immediately flesh it out with a good chunk of variety.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Smoky.5348 said:

I was gonna make a joke to point out how right you are, but aren't PoF's masteries a similar percentage?

Regardless, Jade Bot skins are indeed quite ridiculous, made even worse that they're not going to immediately flesh it out with a good chunk of variety.

Lol you're not wrong. I think it just feels more that way with EoD because of people (like myself) thinking the features are shallow and incomplete, or just poorly implemented. Well that and fishing was a pretty nasty cash grab with the infinite lure thing. At least with mount skins, there's no gameplay penalty for only having the default.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Smoky.5348 said:

Well pof are 100% but they are all the same mount system really.

Imagine we got the skiff, land buggy, helicopter and submarine in EoD then it would have been similar indeed.

They kinda cheapened out on masteries with pof it could have been all in the same line and 3 other masterly lines added for stuff but I guess they dident have time.

7 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Lol you're not wrong. I think it just feels more that way with EoD because of people (like myself) thinking the features are shallow and incomplete, or just poorly implemented. Well that and fishing was a pretty nasty cash grab with the infinite lure thing. At least with mount skins, there's no gameplay penalty for only having the default.

Considering you dont even need a lure if you got bait I dont find it a cash grab.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 5