Skyscales hovering overhead is kind of annoying

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Krzysztof.5973" said:Some people will always be annoyed by something. Can't please everybody. This MMO is made for everybody not just for You. It's not only about Your experience.

But thats not excuse to Skyscale-shame players. I'm coining the term Mount-shaming. Now I need a word to describe people who ruin other people's experience by complaining about their experience and demanding everyone else experience change to not ruin their experience.

I agree that the flap is annoying. The flap on my own skyscale annoys me, to the point I land on something rather than hover if I'm just waiting in place. Or, not annoying -- motion sickness inducing. I have the same problem with flickering insect wings, orbs whirling around a character, RL ceiling fans, tossing tree shadows, anything that makes my eye jitter back and forth to track the motion. As much as I love my hummingbird skimmer, I can't just sit still on it for long before the wings make me queasy.

That doesn't mean I want these things changed. I just have to adjust. I point my camera away from other players using spins and flickers, including leaving RP sessions if someone has a wasp pet out. But finding the afk hovering visually annoying is not the same as jealousy, at least not on my part. Seeing as how I actually have got a skyscale and am happily using it all over. (just not hovering for long :) )

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:I was waiting for the Megadestroyer to start last night and since it was a Daily there were tons of players. The number of Skyscales hovering near the ground and stirring up dust and being otherwise obnoxious was ridiculous. If you moved away from one, there were more. It's only going to get worse as more people acquire the mount. Skyscale riders, please be courteous and if you must hover, do it high enough so you don't bother others. Thanks. (p.s. This isn't a "Wah, I'm so jealous" post, as I will get the Skyscale in a month or two and am not in a hurry.)

mine wasnt a "wah, I'm so jealous" post either, although alot of folks thought so. i was just stating my opinion. some thought i didnt want to put in the work to get it, not knowing I have "put in the work" to craft the nine leg weps i have either. and apparently, im not the only one who thinks it annoying. but w/e.

@slpr.2647 said:

@"Witch of Doom.5739" said:I was waiting for the Megadestroyer to start last night and since it was a Daily there were tons of players. The number of Skyscales hovering near the ground and stirring up dust and being otherwise obnoxious was ridiculous. If you moved away from one, there were more. It's only going to get worse as more people acquire the mount. Skyscale riders, please be courteous and if you must hover, do it high enough so you don't bother others. Thanks. (p.s. This isn't a "Wah, I'm so jealous" post, as I will get the Skyscale in a month or two and am not in a hurry.)

mine wasnt a "wah, I'm so jealous" post either, although alot of folks thought so. i was just stating my opinion. some thought i didnt want to put in the work to get it, not knowing I have "put in the work" to craft the nine leg weps i have either. and apparently, im not the only one who thinks it annoying. but w/e.

It's a fair shout, I have skyscale already and even I think it's irritating, like when you get players that deliberately "stand in you" as if there's not enough space to go around.Another reason I turn character limit to lowest tbh.

The amount of hovering will go away in a few weeks/months. People LOVE to show off their brand new shiny, and that's currently the Skyscale and Vision (technically Aurora+Vision combo).

When the next shinies come, they'll be showing those off instead.

That isn't to say it isn't annoying, but the chances of ArenaNet working on this is beyond slim, and players will still show off their skyscale until that next shiny mount (skin) or chair comes in.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"Krzysztof.5973" said:Some people will always be annoyed by something. Can't please everybody. This MMO is made for everybody not just for You.

Agreed.

But the point can be readily turned around.

Still, as said above...its pretty easy to just move a few steps to the side.

Not when there's another one... and another one.. and another one... And to reiterate, it's not the Skyscales hovering in general; it's their hovering so close to the ground that they kick up a cloud. I mean, c'mon, common courtesy, people. But some people love to be obnoxious in the game, like putting a chair right on top of a chest, and so on. Nothing surprises me any more.

@slpr.2647 said:3 mins till Karka Queen spawns. standing in front of Steampipe Steading, and theres several Skyscales hovering above.

how awesome it was to have wingtips dipping into view, shadows of them all over the place, and the dust that their wing beats kicks up.yeah, kind of annoying.

Oh no don't you even. Lots of players worked very hard to get these mounts! So now you are gonna have to look at them while they feel good while riding it, while you feel bad about not having it. Cause that's all that matters!

Everyone is acting like people are trying to be annoying. Most, if not all, of these players are hyped about their new mount, and excited to show off their hard work. They aren't aiming to be obnoxious, and it's a bit pretentious to just assume people doing thing you don't like are out to ruin your game. If other players playing the game brings you to the point of complaining on the internet, MMOs may not be the kind of games for you. These people are just trying to enjoy their game, don't think so negatively. A courtesy to them might be not complaining about every little thing.

I think this goes into a couple of issues. One being the mechanics of the skyscale itself. I think they do need to raise the minimum hover height which would fix this even if it's when there is more than 5 players present in an area.

The other issue of so many effects in the game. It is really annoying especially with people who have systems that tend to bog down during events. We do need a setting to disable or limit flashy particle effects without degrading other visual aspects. Events usually just turn into a kaleidoscope of colors when there is a lot of players present.

While I’m happy to see people’s Skyscales and their shadows pass over, I agree it can be irritating if they’re too low and a wing flaps constantly on my screen, not nearly as bad as a blinking/flickering light which will give me a headache, but still. I just move myself and/or adjust my camera. I don’t think it’s anything that Anet needs to change.

I am honestly amazed that of all the things you choose to address as visually annoying, you choose the new mount which has only just been added to the game, instead of mentioning things that have always been in the game, such as:

• People with an overabundance of infusions
  • SSJ Goku charr
  • People using the giant tonic
  • Other mount skins

People sure to love to dislike things that are slightly inconvenient to them rather than things like the miniature wintersday golem which cannot be muted.