Why should I train Chef to level 500?

GW Noob.6038

Title. As an individual it seems rather pointless to go to all the trouble (hassle and expense) to train my Chef skill to level 500...so, why do it? Enlighten me.

Edit: Thanks for all the responses, guys! For me, there is no benefit to raising my Chef discipline to level 500. I don't care about achievement points or titles, and I never do raids, fractals, WvW, or PvP content. Thought I would get some opinions just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks again, guys!

Edit #2: Ahh, guys...I just thought of a good reason to level my Chef skills: Metabolic Primers. I forgot about those because I hardly ever use them as they are way too expensive. I have 112 Black Lion Chest keys and enough chests to use them on...as soon as Anet changes the contents of the BLC to something that I want to try for I'll see if I can get some Metabolic Primers out of the deal. ;)

When you do end-game content like Fractals, Raids or WvW, you're gonna need some quality consumables. You may find yourself researching about the food you'll be using in those content and see that that some ascended versions are way cheaper and give more value in them. The expense and hassle to train your chef skills are worth it in the long run because you will be actually spending less money using ascended food over their level 400 counterparts. This is not even saying that ascended food are all feasts - meaning anyone in your party/team/nearby vicinity can use them. They stay where you dropped them for five minutes or until you leave the map.

Not a lot of people know this or probably even care. So maybe someday the prices of ascended food will catch-up and overtake their normal counterparts.

Well completing the chef story-line basically gets you to 500, and is easy and relatively cheap (from memory). I think then when your character is 500 they will have a chance to find additional seed when harvesting various plants with a sickle, which sell from a couple of copper up to 30 silver each. So I suppose you could see it as an extra source of harvesting income?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Just to clarify...once your account has a L500 Chef, any character can harvest Varietal Seeds from various Herbs and Jungle Plants.

There's also a Chef Station, with accompanying 'Master Chef' in your Home Instance for any L500 Characters on the account.

Im only at 491 and all characters can already harvest varietal seeds.

Honestly I just did it because it was there to do.

I'd already levelled chef (and all the other crafts) to 400 so I had the option of crafting stuff if I ever wanted/needed to. So when level 500 chef was introduced I was able to go straight into the collections, which were quite interesting and had more of a story to them than levelling crafts usually does. Plus I already had most of the materials needed, so it wasn't a big expense for me. I haven't actually done much ascended food crafting yet, but like the other crafts I like knowing I have the option.

I might do it for AP and the 3rd crop pot home instance upgrade but I don't really care about food in Gw2 all that much anyway.

I keep a few types on my mains, mostly cheap, easily farmable festival foods but most of the time I'm not even using them.The more expensive ones just feel like a waste of resources or money tbh.. not worth the benefits they give.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Just to clarify...once your account has a L500 Chef, any character can harvest Varietal Seeds from various Herbs and Jungle Plants.

There's also a Chef Station, with accompanying 'Master Chef' in your Home Instance for any L500 Characters on the account.It doesn't depend on your chef level (other than lvl 425 being needed to start the questline), but rather on a step in the Sylvari chain of quests where you are introduced to varietal seeds. Once your chef has finished that step (I think it's the one before you build your own composter) every character on your account can harvest varietal seeds while gathering certain kinds of herbs.

The composter is another plus for me, as it allows me to salvage all the useless food that kept clogging my characters' inventories because my inner hoarder wouldn't just throw away/sell it even though none of my characters used it anyway.

If you're not interested in the ascended recipes then it's still worth doing the Sylvari part of the collection to unlock the varietal seeds and the charr part to unlock the better cuts of meat.

They're worth selling at the Trading Post and don't cost much to unlock, IIRC, although if you complete the Sylvari section you unlock a garden plot for the cost of 4 spiritwood plans and and Elonian leather square.

Personally, I just did it because it was there to be done, to "finish" cooking on my account. I don't think I've made any ascended food (or indeed, any food at all) since.

@Super Hayes.6890 said:I'll be that guy. You should do it so you can make ascended food for me so I don't have to reach chef 500 ;)

I will make ascended food for you. If you see me online just let out a holler. I am on US servers...and if any Raid groups or such want ascended food let out a whisper. I might be too awful to team with, but I like to feel useful...oh, hmm, and in the Whisper tell me what goes into the recipe. I always use the -20 incoming condition food so that is what I am automatically set up with.

I did it for the AP (I did the same leveling Scribe to 400 which cost a ton of gold lol), making ascended food is a nice benefit if you have the need, the cost wasn't for me that much since I horde lots of items, but I'm now within striking distance of the 15k AP I'm been working towards for the last month or so.