Make a balancing subforum and let only Plat & above post in it

GuriGashi.5617

@Markri.9475 said:why so low as plat 1? thats hardly a requirement of skill, or knowledge about balance.You could have started at top250. Though top 100 would mean more.I'm against the idea though, as even top players don't know how to get balance done on a whole.

top 250 of players in the game are alts of players already in top 250 anyway so you get opinions of about 5 people lol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@Math.5123 said:This already exists.

It's this one right here we are posting in now.

A balance subforum would also just be filled with the junk we have now here. Nerf this, remove that, buff this, do what I want or your game will fail etc.

Wouldn't really serve a purpose inho.

We have a discord with 5 something devs in it along with 40 something players.

@Math.5123 said:

A balance subforum would also just be filled with the junk we have now here. Nerf this, remove that, buff this, do what I want or your game will fail etc.

From a comment cal made there is still a bunch of bias going on so I just expect it to be a less salty version of the forums. But a version of the forums none the less.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

From a comment cal made there is still a bunch of bias going on so I just expect it to be a less salty version of the forums. But a version of the forums none the less.

It's actually much more salty and cringey. :tongue:

I don't like this suggestion, as @Falan.1839 mentioned, there are a lot of terrible suggestions also from plat+ players and good insights and necessary input from lower ranked players. It simply needs a little more attention and someone who is working 20% of his time on PVP.

@Megametzler.5729 said:

It's actually much more salty and cringey. :tongue:

I hope to never experience something like that

Most of the discussion in the Professions and its sub-forums are completely about PvP and WvW. The few PvE related discussions usually have a [PvE] tag in the title and even then, there is a high chance the discussion derails into yet another balancing-topic.

If at all, that sub-section would only have an entertainment value for the staff.

So what happens if I converse in that subforum, but my rating decays because reasons... will my posts get deleted? Will I be unable to answer in an already ongoing discussion? Also what stops someone from buying a boost from a top player to post their biased stuff or outright troll?Not a bad idea in itself, but I can't see a good way to implement it. You'll have to settle for the discord.

well can't a forum member do this?Doesn't really have to be a anet made sub forum. If a player creates one and all the forum members used for said purpose and was always kept current, relevant and continually used by forum members for such, wouldn't it end up being the main thread anet would skim for ideas on the little occasions they actually do?

@snoow.1694 said:

@Markri.9475 said:why so low as plat 1? thats hardly a requirement of skill, or knowledge about balance.You could have started at top250. Though top 100 would mean more.I'm against the idea though, as even top players don't know how to get balance done on a whole.

I chose specifically Plat 1, since Plat 2 and above would basically mean only Top 100 players would be allowed in to take place in balancing issues and it could therefore be heavily exploited by strong teams, who usually place quite high. I think Plat 1 would be a great compromise, since it is close anyways to Top 250.And I agree even some plat players don‘t know what is going on, but an average plat player has generally more understanding of the game than a silver player, it is just facts or divisions as a whole would make no sense

I mean as long as they are going to exclude people, might as well be a tight one.

I'll assume that since you allowed for plat 1 in the discussion that still keeps you in the discussion?

News, it allows bads for me to get into it too....lol.

1600 is probably a good number, they used that for stopping duo's once....lol

Mind you the same person/group of people mostly responsible for the balance patches after Feb 25th, fell into this same category at some point.And if you're having a good ol' fun time now, that's actually impressive. I'm jealous.

As an average plat2 player before giving up; I, and most other people in or around that level understand as much about balance as everyone else.We're all incredibly biased, and we'd likely make incredibly biased balance decisions.

Heck, the only reason more than half of us were and still are even there is because we were carried by DuoQ anyway.

@"Ryan.9387" said:As others have said, they already do balance "discussions" in a private discord with some gizmo winners.

I'm sure they are extremely biased and not very helpful, since somehow they convinced cmc that nades holo wasn't a problem for a full year.

yes, ranger main send document wanting ranger buffs, nobody saw that one coming lol.for all its worth in general discussions everyone agreed that holo was OP as fuck and I believe that cmc just wanted to go slow and not over-do it.And with how things ended up, slowly, steadily nerfing turned out OK-ish, too bad it took so fucking long.

At this point, I doubt there are enough P2+ players on the forum to support this idea. You might, at most, have 10 people who qualify, and also post on the forums regularly. It would most likely devolve into an echo chamber in which there aren't enough voices to cancel out any group biases. Assuming the devs actually take these ideas to heart, it would likely result in a decline in balance.

@"Kuma.1503" said:At this point, I doubt there are enough P2+ players on the forum to support this idea. You might, at most, have 10 people who qualify, and also post on the forums regularly. It would most likely devolve into an echo chamber in which there aren't enough voices to cancel out any group biases. Assuming the devs actually take these ideas to heart, it would likely result in a decline in balance.

As far as NA is concerned, there are seriously only 7 people who play at 1600+ margins who even post in this forum. Me, Shao, Tycura, Memausz, RedAvenged, Vallun and Grimjack. Other p2+ have seemingly disappeared from this forum within about the past 6 months. I dunno, maybe I'm missing some people, sorry if that's the case.

The p2 - p3 - legend community is incredibly small in NA. The other day I was 1599 rating, enough to be rank 24 or something like that on the leaderboards. So you're talking only 24 players from 1600 and up. Even the p1 community is just really small in NA even, and tbh I don't see many of them posting in this forum either.

As much as people like to hiiiiiiide these things, the truth is that the large bulk of feedback in this pvp forum, I'm talking 95% of it, is coming from a place well bellow the bell curve.

Well wait a minute.. this brings up a good new question: "Where even is the new bell curve?" a lot of things have changed with low population. A year or two ago, the bell curve was still like gold 3'ish, but lately It's starting to look like high gold 2'ish is the new bell curve in NA. These are the types of things that start happening in low population. Honestly people maybe should shift their perceptions a bit on "Who's opinions are valid and who's aren't."

And on a similar note, there are a lot of guys in NA that I know could play p1-p2 margins if they honestly cared, but lately they play random classes/builds for memes cause it's fun, because they want something different to do. They hold g3'ish type rankings due to this, even though they are the better players to pick up for AT teams when you get them on their mains and get them to actually try.

I guess the moral of the story is: Don't let rating fool you too much. There are so many reasons why good players are lower than they should be, and how mediocre players find ways to wiggle into higher ratings than they should be.

Can't speak for EU. I have absolutely no idea what is going on in EU.

Even i will admit i am biased and often dont consider pvp as a whole when i suggest ele changes. I believe even the devs share similar bias. They need to look at the data if they want to remain as impartial as possible. Win rates and profession presence in ranked should absolutely be the basis for any balance. If anet took any of my suggestions to boost core ele we would probably be seeing op barrier/signet weavers. The problem has never been how anet balances, but how often they do it.