Convinced my friend to buy this, sorely dissapointed

Sicktanick.4369

19 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Living worlds are not much different to expansions. You get more maps (in season 3 and 4 at least) than an expac and more story, with just as many rewards, masteries etc. They just lack a big new feature. If expacs justify their cost, then so do living worlds which are just broken into small chunks. Content being paid for once isn’t really comparable to a sub service

I agree Anet aren’t always clear in their marketing, but the content itself justifies the price 

Haven't they also been passing out LW episodes like skittles? Unfortunately for me, the only season I wasn't a part of, and earned for free (OP, just gotta log on while the episode is current to acquire it) was S1, and that's not coming back any time soon. I would also like to point out that just logging in every day nets a good amount of gold over the month. Laurels and coins are extremely lucrative. Simply playing the game will get you a bunch of stuff over time, be it through giveaways, converting gold, or spending $10 here and there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Seasons (except the deleted season 1) are permanent content, but they’ve been offering each episode in turn free for one week. That’s what they are emailing about

Ah, understood. Thanks! Do you know how long the episodes stay open? All the ones that have come up that I listed are still open and available for me to play, including the ones from 4-5 weeks ago.

5 hours ago, Dante.1763 said:

Even being aware of it, itz turned a few friends of mine off from trying it. They have no issues paying for the expansions, but they way they see it the living world seasons are part of the expansion and should come unlocked with it. I cant really argue with that. Each one aside from IBS is tied to an expansion.

This really needs to be a thing. When I came back during LWS4, I missed a number of Episodes and was about to stop playing again just because I was forced to pay for previous Episodes that I missed when I took a break. 

I eventually unlocked them when ANet decided to re-run the Episodes but the fact that I was missing a good chunk of content that I thought I would get since I bought all the expansions was... pretty demotivating at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, The Tempestest of Tempests.1308 said:

Ah, understood. Thanks! Do you know how long the episodes stay open? All the ones that have come up that I listed are still open and available for me to play, including the ones from 4-5 weeks ago.

It's permanent! 🙂 Once an episode's unlocked for your account, it's yours forever. There's no rush to play it before it becomes unavailable, because it will *always* be available once you have it.

As for the OP's dilemma... I'm not sure why your friend would need everything in the game right up-front. Why not play the game for a while before deciding to make a larger monetary commitment - to see if it's worth it? Or inform your friend about the existence of the living world seasons (for all intents and purposes, mini-expansions) that need to be bought separately, and also inform them about how one can purchase everything in the Gem Store by converting gold to gems, and help them work toward that goal if necessary?

...and, wait, if he's spending over 100 dollars on *everything*, does that means he bought the Ultimate edition of at least one of the expansions, with all the gems included? If that's the case, he could easily buy the living world seasons using those gems, no further cost (that's what I did when I bought the game).

Edited by Batel.9206
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

It's permanent! 🙂 Once an episode's unlocked for your account, it's yours forever. There's no rush to play it before it becomes unavailable, because it will *always* be available once you have it.

Oh, interesting. Then if OP's friend waits long enough, shouldn't they eventually get many of the episodes opened up for free? If I'm understanding this correctly?

22 minutes ago, The Tempestest of Tempests.1308 said:

They don’t close. Living Worlds are just dlc or mini expacs divided into episodes. You can buy them or play the, whenever you want down the line

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Tempestest of Tempests.1308 said:

Oh, interesting. Then if OP's friend waits long enough, shouldn't they eventually get many of the episodes opened up for free? If I'm understanding this correctly?

Not quite 

Living World episodes are free on initial release until their next episodes. Login once during that window and you get them unlocked

The current promotion has been running all summer until the end of the year. Each week, an episode is free to unlock, but you only get that week to login and get it for feee or you have to pay for it

• Like 2

Just now, Randulf.7614 said:

The current promotion has been running all summer until the end of the year. Each week, an episode is free to unlock, but you only get that week to login and get it for feee or you have to pay for it

Ok, I think I get it now - during this promotion, if you log in and check your mail, you get the in-game token to unlock the episode permanently for your account. If you don't log in during a specific episode's week, you essentially lose out on getting that episode unlocked for free? (Sorry for all the clarification questions! I kept wondering why I was getting these LW episodes unlocked, lol.)

• Like 2

This is a subject that i've brought up multiple times over the years.. and is the main reason why i've criticized Anet for not bundling the living world seasons into their respective expansions.

I've had multiple real life friends who've told me they won't play this game because of how much they'd have to spend on the game just to get the complete story.
They know they could buy the chapters with in game gold etc but it doesn't matter, half of them don't have the time to commit to the kind of gold farming they would need to do to unlock it all and it's just too messy, specially since the first season of living world isnt even playable and that's also something that a couple of them instantly noped away from the game for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, The Tempestest of Tempests.1308 said:

Well, not exactly. ArenaNet is currently running an event that gradually unlocked all previous living world episodes - but it isn't retroactive. You, for example, started playing in early August and have the last two episodes of LWS3 and the first four episodes of LWS4 unlocked, because you were logged in and playing at the time. Earlier this summer, ArenaNet also gave away all of LWS2 and the first four episodes of LWS3; players who weren't there at the time now need to purchase those episodes (if they want) as they would have needed to without this event.

However, as we're going forward, the rest of LWS4 and eventually all of the Icebrood Saga (basically LWS5) will be unlocked as part of this event - you'll get a mail telling you it's unlocked and now you have it for free, forever. So players starting *today* would, if they keep playing, receive LWS4 episode four, five, and six, and the Icebrood Saga, but *not* any episodes that were unlocked before it.

Normally, when a living world episode is released, everyone who logs in during its release period (which is usually about three months until the next episode goes live) will get it for free. So, going forward, if you continue to log on when new living world seasons and episodes are being released after EoD, you'll receive them for free. And yes, if you don't log on when it's being offered, you do lose out on getting it for free, but you can buy it with gems afterwards.

That said, as others in the thread have pointed out, LWS2 and 3 have gone on sale fairly often in the past.

(Whew, sorry for the giant response 😅)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Tempestest of Tempests.1308 said:

Ok, I think I get it now - during this promotion, if you log in and check your mail, you get the in-game token to unlock the episode permanently for your account. If you don't log in during a specific episode's week, you essentially lose out on getting that episode unlocked for free? (Sorry for all the clarification questions! I kept wondering why I was getting these LW episodes unlocked, lol.)

Basically, yes. Although sometimes the mail comes out late so it's best to keep an eye on their news feeds on the website and social media as well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Im less concerned about the sub fees, more the upfront cost of buying all the content for those games for a new player and whether it exceeds $100 in direct comparison

No the cost of the latest expansion includes the entire game and all previous expansion. That price is 39.99 for the base edition and 59.99 for the heroic edition, 79.99 for the ultimate epic edition. So you have access to the entire game all the previous expansions and content. 

Edit. okay mr. confused face the poster asked a question and I answered it. How is that confusing for you?

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

I'm afraid most people don't see your point, because seeing passed one's own experiences (often the tip of one's nose) is difficult for the average person. I completely understand where you are coming from, and it's why I don't invite my friends to play. People argue that "hurr the price is less than {other super expensive MMO}" but that is entirely missing the point. It's not the price, it's the expectation, and when what you expect is not what you get that creates a dissonance.

Yea im a little thrown back by the amount of "you should of just played when it was free" or "its your fault, you should of warned your friends"...I clearly put I stopped playing a bit after fractals released, so I was also not aware I would have to buy all this extra content. The difference is, I know I enjoy the game, I do not mind spending the extra money when it comes down to it, but not everyone is me. 

I am just very surprised that this kind of system is in place...almost completely walling off new players with a hidden cost. Regardless of how you can achieve it with gold/sales/etc. it is a hidden cost not clearly stated at the buy screen, or even shown when playing the base game for free. So the only way to really know prior to any money investment is to have someone explicitly explain to you how it works.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

The only way someone could have spent $100 on the game without being ripped off as opposed to buying gems with the game is if they bought the EOD ultimate collection. That is including 4000 gems.

4000 gems would have more or less covered the extra DLC purchases
LS2 , 1280 gems (been discounted up to 40%): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack
LS3 , 960 gems ((been discounted up to 35%): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack
LS4 , 960 gems (been discounted up to 30%) : https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_4_Complete_Pack
LS5/IBS, 960 gems (been discounted up to 30%): https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Icebrood_Saga_Complete_Pack

Path of Fire includes HoT + Core game now. Even if you buy from Arenanet partners it is ~$30
https://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Path-Fire-Online/dp/B074KLPK3R
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-windows-digital/6120601.p?skuId=6120601
https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-43807
https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/pc-games/products/guild-wars-2-path-of-fire/10151920.html

That's not even including the current Amazon Prime promotion for 50% off Path of Fire:
https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/guildwars2

$30 POF + $30 if you preorder EOD for thousands of hours of content , less than a sub to any major game and in line with buying a triple A title at launch.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

I agree that the costs should be clearly indicated, and Anet should offer an "everything so far" bundle.

But I don't really get complaining about the cost. Is it so different than most other games that offer DLC? I bought Civ 5 once, then continued to pay for additional content. Then bought Civ 6 and now continue to pay for content.

If I bought WoW or FF, I'd not only pay content but a monthly fee. I'm not sure what ESO looks like, but it certainly isn't buy once and never again.

I just don't get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Um, wow. Don't buy it all up front. I spent well over what you did and that's because I bought it as it came out. Play the free game before purchasing the first part of LW2 and so on. You'll even unlock some future content for free with the return to living world stuff going on. Research before dropping $100. There is absolutely no need for sticker shock going into this game since you can't play all of it in one sitting anyway. The total price atm is a steal considering how much content you are getting. And yes, they could market living world content in a more upfront way but you are by no means getting a bad deal here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

ANet just have to make it clear like those disclaimers on some really old gadget and toy boxes

Path of Fire + Heart of Thorns Standard Edition now $29.99 (batteries, oops, i mean Living World Stories not included) 🙊

I do agree with many posts here that the price is a steal especially when it comes with a level booster but that is not the gripe here. Please be more transparent with pricing.

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you are not a new or returning player, you had the opportunity to unlock them for free. That's fine and dandy. This isn't an immediate issue for you. Yet if you wish for your beloved game to grow, it will be.

But expecting some one to pay for the expansions and then shell out more for the Living World - just to complete the expansion they already purchased - is silly.

Sure there is the option of the obscene grind for gold to gems transfer. But that is neither fun nor fair in the amount of effort needed to even unlock one chapter of the story.

Cosmetics and Convenience is one thing. Micro-transactions for story and game play relevant to the expansion you have already purchased is another.

Guild Wars 2 is going to continue hemorrhaging players and not gain any new blood this way.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

You do realize you do not have to pay any subscription? Monetizing the episodes is completely fine in my book.  Also, its not the first time they have reprised older episodes to let people unlock it for free.

Furthermore, you are effectively harping against the common gamedeveloper practice of selling paid DLCs.

Fallout3/4/New Vegas
All Borderlands games and many more.

What Anet is doing is completely no different here. Yet they may ocassionally give them out for free.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Sicktanick.4369 said:

Yea im a little thrown back by the amount of "you should of just played when it was free" or "its your fault, you should of warned your friends"...I clearly put I stopped playing a bit after fractals released, so I was also not aware I would have to buy all this extra content.

This is the forum, not everybody reads the question before replying... Don't let this confuse or discourage you.

That said, I agree with everyone saying the game is well worth the money but the information on the shop pages is horrible. Communication is not ANet's forte although they have been getting better at it lately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Basically, yes. Although sometimes the mail comes out late so it's best to keep an eye on their news feeds on the website and social media as well

Or just spend a few minutes to log in and collect the reward. I was gone for a few years, but I kept logging in for the rewards. Made so much gold selling coins and mats from laurels. 

57 minutes ago, Azure Prower.8701 said:

If you are not a new or returning player, you had the opportunity to unlock them for free. That's fine and dandy. This isn't an immediate issue for you. Yet if you wish for your beloved game to grow, it will be.

But expecting some one to pay for the expansions and then shell out more for the Living World - just to complete the expansion they already purchased - is silly.

Sure there is the option of the obscene grind for gold to gems transfer. But that is neither fun nor fair in the amount of effort needed to even unlock one chapter of the story.

Cosmetics and Convenience is one thing. Micro-transactions for story and game play relevant to the expansion you have already purchased is another.

Guild Wars 2 is going to continue hemorrhaging players and not gain any new blood this way.

Do you realize that you only need to log in once 1 awhile to get free living world episode when its released? And you have at least 7 days to do the gw2 log in, take you like 1 minute to do so! 

And I completely agree with you when coming to new comers. At least the episodes should be released to claim free occasionally. But for Vet and current gw2 players, we all have at least 1 min free from busy to log in gw2 to claim.

• Like 1