Always the left foot

Balsa.3951

Great game and so on.

I really like those dragons in game they are huge and look cool. 

But why has it be always the foot we attack.

Anyway to mix it up and be more creative with those encounters? 

(Modremoth was great, but maybe because he doesn't have feet)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 4

Because it saves organizing groups that don't otherwise communicate. If we do the same thing people know what to expect. It means we're all stacked for buffs and condi removal, and healing, and if someone goes down they're easily rezzed. Go to the other foot and you'll find the playerbase split and less people will be getting buffs and healing, thus the events will take longer.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

In theory it doesn't have to be, all the dragons have multiple vulnerable points - both feet, the head at least sometimes and some of them have other options, like dropping bombs on the Shatterer. But the majority of players seem to settle for one foot on each dragon and just attack that.

Which means it might be harder for Anet to prevent than it seems, they'd have to take away that option rather than just including alternatives and that might just end up with it being seen as too complicated/slow compared to the others and not worth doing.

• Like 1

I wish there was more variety in attacking the dragons for sure.
Maybe some mechanics where you have to attack its wings to pin it to the ground, attack the head when it 'drops' on the ground or something. Attacking the tail would be an interesting mechanic too; if Dragon uses the tail to attack, you can attack it to wound it/cut it. 
The big dragons are way too static without anything interesting going on.
It would NOT even require any specific coordination, just more 'color' to the fights so it's not always 'attack the leg/claws!'
Like, basically just more animations and 'attackable options' for dragon bosses. 

• Like 1

Well, if a really huge dragon was standing in front of you, where would you attack it?

That's right, you go to its easily reachable paw and pet it like the good kitty it is.

Lol, I never really considered how boring the fights are. They are boring, yes, but not so boring that I've had an itch to change it. It just kind of makes sense to me. The dragon is too big. You would need creative ways to get to the head, wings, tail, etc. and I don't think that the dragons will wait patiently for you to climb it. And people are dumb and don't read. In the Forging Steel strike, you need to go into the tank when the vent pressure is right so that you can use the harpoon skill 3 to drain the defiance bar. And then step out to attack the head while it's vulnerable. Preferably, you will also coordinate to step on all of the runes. But even that is so hard for some people. Sometimes the fight will take so much longer than it should because no one understands me shouting "get in the tank and press 3!"

When fighting Tequatl, you need the 6 people on turrets to keep scale stacks down and heal poison. Every time that I go on a slightly less populated or coordinated map, there are pools of dead people and the dragon's not taking any damage because no one's on turrets or they're pressing all the wrong buttons.

Now imagine trying to coordinate a realistic dragon fight. People getting in choppers to drop bombs on its back for burst dps, people using high-tech turrets to shoot at its face to stun it, people using jump pads to get onto its wings to clip them so it can't do its special attack, people running to the tail to cripple it at the right times so it can't tail whip us, and the obligatory foot attackers to whittle the dragon down.

It sounds amazing. But how well will people actually perform? How many times will you die because no one got on the wings at the right time? How long will the fight take because people are wasting the chopper bombs, dropping them only when the dragon's invulnerable to them? Most people will stand at the feet and spam 1 and afk.

This doesn't mean it's not possible. I would love to see it happen. I will learn to command it with my catmander tag if it's worth it. I just am skeptical as to whether it will be well-received or doable for the devs. People already complain that the defiance bar on regular champions wandering around is too hard. I really want to see amazing dragon fights, I do. But I really cannot be sure that you can get the majority of the map to do anything more than pressing one button, or following the commander around at all times, or all doing the one same thing. The last one only happens because the commander and everyone else is doing it, like everyone grabbing bombs to explode down shields, and even then, you'll have that mob of people who are standing at the shield, swinging their swords and doing 0 damage the whole time.

I want it to happen. But I can't see it happening.

• Like 3

I dunno, I spent a long time last night fighting the Destroyer of the Last Forge’s butt. Left foot is kinda nice in comparison. 😀

Seriously, though, it’s a function of the fact that powerful foe almost always means BIG in these games. The more powerful, the bigger. Add to that this game’s heavy preference for melee over range, and dragon manicure is what results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

An encounter design which allowed us to attack a dragon's back or head would be cool. It would take some set u p/explanation though. Did we use special tow cables to pin the dragon down in an area of slightly rolling depressions where we could climb on the dragon's back, get to its neck, etc until the phase where the dragon breaks free, flies up and nukes the area with fire until the tow cable cannons can be repaired? I know that there are limits, but more can be done.

4 hours ago, Embered.5089 said:

You would need creative ways to get to the head, wings, tail, etc. and I don't think that the dragons will wait patiently for you to climb it.

Now imagine trying to coordinate a realistic dragon fight.

Well, they are patient enough to be tickled to death by their feet.

A realistic dragon fight would not feature a winged creature taking roots and letting itself be the largest non-moving target in the land.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

Well, they are patient enough to be tickled to death by their feet.

A realistic dragon fight would not feature a winged creature taking roots and letting itself be the largest non-moving target in the land.

An all-air group fight would be much harder to create for the devs.

17 hours ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

Doesn’t Tequatyl take more damage on the head?

Not anymore. It was originally so, but only because there was one point in there that was crittable, while others weren't (and that one point was a bug, btw). Now that the whole boss receives crit damage, that one spot is no longer special.

Now, it's generally good to cleave both head and foot (or both feet with piercing) during burn phases. During initial dps phase it's much harder to do, because the multiple hit points are moving and are often further away from each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

read again what i wrote and u may figure out that i talk about the visuals of the encounter. 

What about the visuals? I don't get what you're trying to say.

They're standing in one spot for 8 minutes straight, fighting a boss. The only variety is down to boss mechanics that are raid-specific, since you need a coordinated group to fulfill them.

I'd say most of the advanced GW2 world bosses actually are more varied, like Tequatl with the laser protect phases, or the Jahai Shatterer with the riftstalkers. Even the Claw of Jormag has a change of scenery in the middle of the fight (both versions do actually). Include map meta events like the Chak Gerent that has different mechanics on each lane, or the Mouth of Mordremoth at Dragon's Stand, and we're way ahead of that "stand in one spot and do raid mechanics" situation shown in the link you posted.

So what exactly are you asking for that GW2 doesn't offer? I'm sorry, but I really don't get it.

• Like 1