why the commander gets no payment?

Balsa.3951

Thinking the matter over, isn’t this the commander’s fault? I’ve never seen the commander sit down with anyone and negotiate a salary. No, s/he just charges in, banners waving, thinking they can kill a dragon by stabbing the dragons left front toenail. And then you’re surprised that the commander forgot to ask for money for doing all that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

We're Witchers! Mutant monster-hunters for hire!

Toss a coin to your Commander, O land of Tyria, O land of Tyria, whoa-o-oa! ...no, really, please toss us a coin. Collecting money from corpses can't be sanitary.

Explanation for the "mutant" part:

Spoiler

We're technically undead. And the champion of an Elder Dragon. We're still mortal, but we're a bit beyond "ordinary" at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, JacobInTheLunchroom.8605 said:

maybe if you'd do your daily jobs you'd get paid 2 gold a day like the rest of us

I’m trying to imagine the employer that says, “Okay, I need you to mine some metal, doesn’t matter what metal, as long as it’s mined somewhere in this part of the world here. I don’t want the metal, you can keep that, but I’ll give you a chest with a few other chunks of metal if you do.”

”If you do that, play a round of crab toss, and climb up to a place somewhere in this other area and look around, why then I’ll give you two gold.”

Tyria’s got some crazy wealthy people.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

This is why you see the Commander on a corner at Lion's Arch singing

I need a silver, silver, a silver is what I need (hey hey)

Well I need a silver, silver, 'cause killin' dragons ain't workin' for me. (hey hey)

Well I NEED a silver, silver, because the Pact is tellin' me

"Look we know you've slain a god and five dragons, but you're still not on salary"

I need a silver, silver, a silver is what I need (hey hey)

Well I need a silver, silver, a silver is what I need (hey hey)

Said I need a silver, silver, a silver is what I need

And if I kill for you that harpy, will you share your silver with me?

That poor Commander!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

The pitfalls of being self-employed

Hm, maybe it's a pitfall for some poor commanders, but others did better and made a fortune. 😉

The commander doesn't even have a house to sleep in.

I think my commanders owns the whole Salma-Quarter in the mean-time.

But houses to sleep in aren't really compatible with a that much traveling adventurer. 🤣

Edited by Dayra.7405

Obviously the commander was hiding behind the door when financial smarts were handed out. You’d think they would have figured out that something was not quite right when they joined the Order and everyone else was getting regular paychecks and they were left standing there with their hand out, repeatedly. But nooooope, they never did. Either that or they like saving the world on a personal shoestring budget, taking time out from spying, killing dragons, assassinating and what not to farm wood or look at a vista to earn a bit of coin to get through the day. 

My advice to the commander is to hire a financial planner because retirement age is creeping up and they’ll need money in the bank or investments to finance the rocking chair days. Especially since I have the feeling that once the glory days are over their name will be forgotten, just like everyone forgot the names of the heroes who saved the world 250 years ago. 

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

The commander is on duty for military service, risk life to invest time and talent.

And the only way to get paid is still via robbing corpses.

Something doesn't add up

Not only that but within a few hours of saving a village, city, or continent some of the merchants will refuse to do business with you until you run errands for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

The commander is on duty for military service, risk life to invest time and talent.

And the only way to get paid is still via robbing corpses.

Something doesn't add up

On the other hand we don't have to pay the rent or income taxes either.

Also, notice that in case of Human, Norn and Asura commander, we're not actually enlisted, but doing purely voluntary work. Out of charity in our hearts. In case of Charr commander, we're technically enlisted (and not exactly voluntary), but in reality went on an extended leave long ago. With that leave being, well, not exactly approved by the right authorities (got approved by Rytlock, but as we learn later Rytlock himself was kind of AWOL, and not in good relations with his legion leader - and this is getting even more funny if we're not Blood). So, as Charr, instead of asking about pay, we should be glad nobody's actually bringing up our enlistment issue.

As Sylvari, we're not enlisted. We're doing the stuff we do, because our Mom (and few of our Firstborn brothers and sisters) told us to.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

As Sylvari, we're not enlisted. We're doing the stuff we do, because our Mom (and few of our Firstborn brothers and sisters) told us to.

"What made you do it, Commander? You've saved the world more times than anyone can count. What gave you the drive, the heart, the sheer guts to step up, take charge, and be a hero? Was it out of the goodness of your heart? The righteous anger at seeing injustice? A personal sorrow that cried out to be avenged?"

"No, my mom told me to."

"..."

(On a completely unrelated note, advice books on parenting suddenly skyrocketed in popularity.)

• Haha 8