Gift of Battle

lina.6738

5 hours ago, lina.6738 said:

... it's pretty much forcing us to do it if we want to obtain the reward!

This is working as intended.  I don't see this changing.  ANet wants players who are looking to get a very optional luxury item to have to try WvW just as much as they want many players like me to enter PvE (or craft, which I hate with a passion) to get many legendary items.

That said, you can get the GoB doing dailies like Veteran Creature Slayer; Big Spender and Master of Monuments; these have very low risk of having to fight other players.  Land Claimer, Caravan Disruptor, Guard Killer and Camp Capturer have somewhat greater risk, depending on your server and the time of day you play.

Often, particularly around reset, there will be other players doing the dailies as well.  If you're enterprising and lucky, you might get other WvW daily tasks completed, like Invasion Defender, Tower Capturer (tower closest to spawn is a good option) and maybe even Objective Defender (carry supply and put it into a damaged wall while the Defend Event is running).

Regardless, you will not need to spend many hours in WvW.  Doing 1-3 dailies can usually be completed with 5-15 minutes per day.  Of course, you won't get the GoB as quickly as you might if you spent more time in WvW.  You'll have to ask yourself which you want more, quicker gratification or minimizing time in WvW.

Regards.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Yes, which is literally about legendary gear acquisition. 🙄 And why it shouldn't be a thing is what I commented on (and so did other people in this thread).

btw. your question about "dumbing down the playerbase" doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't "dumb down" anything, since new players will almost always be worse/weaker but then they learn. So maybe you should substitute your previous "why would players want to dumb down their playerbase?" question with "why would players want new players flowing into their modes?" -and then you probably should be able to find/understand the answer by yourself.

The skill ceiling on a player who wants to be engaged and play WvW is a lot higher than that of a player who is just there for 5-8 hours to get a GoB. 

I had actually assumed that the players joining WvW for the PvE tasks were not actually affecting much except server load for the real WvW players.  That they were performing basically two very different set of tasks in the same place.  One engaged in the actual purpose of WvW and the other skimming along trying to not WvW.

So perhaps it wouldn't dumb down the player base if those players doing the PvE tasks are not interacting with the players who are actively engaged with WvW.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

So let's back up a second.  Since the topic is about attaining a GoB, and there are many responses about how you can enter WvW and do PvE dailies to attain it, let's change the view.

I do not think that I should be able to enter WvW and do the current PvE tasks (or basically non-player interactive/non-PvP) to attain a GoB.  I also do not think I should be able to win trade in PvP or worse, just buy the items off the TP.

That has always been my stance.  I would rather players actually play the game mode (like raiding) to attain the PvP and WvW components for Legendary.  This would make it a lot harder than it already is.

I feel this way because the merits of the game mode should, more or less, stand on it's own.  By all means, force players into the game modes but then actually make them play the mode, not this half-kitten approach.  If a player doesn't want to play that mode then, don't.

And with that I do agree. It's just that your previous posts didn't look anything like that (at least from my understanding), which is why I responded in the way I did 😉 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And with that I do agree. It's just that your previous posts didn't look anything like that (at least from my understanding), which is why I responded in the way I did 😉 

This topic is very full of people on both sides.  Asking questions sometimes generates broader thinking than making a flat statement, sometimes, but I did obfuscate my stance with those questions as well.  

Confused emoji's for days lol, wasn't anyone on the debate team in school?

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Confused 3

As said a few weeks ago, not opposed, create a vendor that allows some exchange of Gift of Battle with the other gifts of Exploration or Maguuma or whatever new one comes out. Make the ratio something that makes sense for time spent. To PvErs that don't like WvW seems to take a while, its the same for WvW players that don't like to do that much PvE. Vendor exchange could work, you could even make the ration a bit more depending on the side trying to exchange. Example if its GoE for GoB then they get less GoBs for a GoE, if its the other way it costs more GoBs for a GoE or a GoM.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

@lina.6738I can understand your post to a point but as a WvW player let me ask you this?

Gift of Battle without boosters takes ~ 8 hrs, but why would anyone, especially not a fan of the game mode not research all of the Reward Track Boosters you can stack that halves this to ~4 hours. With WvW event week you can do this under 4 hours, so literally you can get your gift in 1 morning or afternoon: To me for an item that is Legendary, 4 hrs is not a big time sink. Conversely Gift of Exploration IS a far bigger timesink. 

Gift of Exploration: I've heard can be done non-stop in ~ 12 hrs with Way point unlocks, mounts, but that's a GW2 record I guess by a speed player who does it repeatedly as a farm to sell the gifts. Chatting to my guild mates they generally agree it takes 3 days give or take from 0% (new character) - 100%.

Either way it's 303 Renowned Hearts that to me are utter mindless boredom incarnate when you have already done them once before- BUT, and a BIG BUT @lina.6738as someone whom totally hates the total mind numbingness of repeated Map Completion on character after character : I grin and bear it, and stick on some Netflix and do it semi-afk as that is the requirement I must fulfill to craft a legendary.

So I could ask you @lina.6738as a WvWer why must I spend ~ 3 days solid  (outside of WvW) doing mind numbing solo map completion (which I can only get through semi-afk watching a movie) when you can achieve Gift of Battle in 4 hrs (with boosters)??? 

Apologies to be so blunt, but I find it very tiresome for players to repeatedly making posts such as OP. 

I've never made such a post about Gift of Exploration as much as I hate it, but that is what I must do. 

Rarely in GW2 or even irl do we enjoy All steps A, B, C to get to point D, but in my book you've 2 options: 1) Do your homework how to accomplish points A, B, C in the most efficient manner and strive for the fact that Point D is your ultimate goal no matter what; OR 2) Give up on it entirely. 

FYI: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Reward_Track   (Homework bit to read)

Check WvW DAILIES  every day: Do fast, easy ones: "Big Spender", "Master of Monuments", "Land-Claimer", "Caravan disruptor", "Mists Guards Killer": These are all a piece of cake and require literally zero effort/time.  "Camp capturer" takes a few minutes, depends if you can solo camps, get attacked or the camp is available to take etc, Stack the WvW potions day by day, Gift of Battle done without barely even playing the game-mode!?! - Now can I do the same with Gift of Exploration I ask ?  Ergo Gift of Battle IS a walk in the park. 

Edited by Gregg.3970
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, lina.6738 said:

it's pretty much forcing us to do it if we want to obtain the reward!

That's how rewards work, yes. You may have to do something you wouldn't normally do.

Many people don't do the Chalice of Tears for fun, nor do they want to go through DRMs again but they do want the amulet.

It's a legendary item for a reason, though there are many legendaries that don't require WvW, such as all Gen 1 weapons by buying, Raid Armor, the Amulet,  and the Ad Infinitum backpiece.

So that leaves Gen 2+ weapons and jewelry, which are super niche vanity items, and for the most part a huge waste of money. There is some room to question trinket availability I guess, but I think that would be a waste of time.

Overall though, it's the players' choice to arbitrarily decide they are a member of a certain game mode. For the most part they are free to do so, but I think realistically speaking one has zero right to impose their mentality on the game itself and need to accept some concessions somewhere.

1 hour ago, Gregg.3970 said:

Gift of Exploration: I've heard can be done non-stop in ~ 12 hrs with Way point unlocks, mounts, but that's a GW2 record I guess by a speed player who does it repeatedly as a farm to sell the gifts. Chatting to my guild mates they generally agree it takes 3 days give or take from 0% (new character) - 100%.

Either way it's 303 Renowned Hearts that to me are utter mindless boredom incarnate when you have already done them once before- BUT, and a BIG BUT @lina.6738as someone whom totally hates the total mind numbingness of repeated Map Completion on character after character : I grin and bear it, and stick on some Netflix and do it semi-afk as that is the requirement I must fulfill to craft a legendary.

You could always just buy the weapon outright.

Or you could be like me and make a Gen 2 Legendary, though to be fair that option isn't always viable.

I ran out of Gifts of Exploration; that wasn't hard because I only did Central Tyria and I used them both up.

So, instead made the Shining Blade with my Gift of Maguuma mastery. Granted, you have to do a bunch of other crap though there are no collections for that weapon (just a lot of mithril/wood)

Now I understand that's not a good option for most people since some of the Gen 2s have too many collections but the option does exist. HoT maps have no hearts after all and I'd rather do that over Central Tyria.

My 2nd closest to 100% map compleition in Central Tyria is 67 and then 3rd is like 45. So maybe I'll get 2 more GOEs if I really need to, and then another pair by 2030 or something. :classic_cool:

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Just do the easy WvW Dailies, some that do not even require entering WvW.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily_(achievements)#WvW

Save up your potions, and you will have enough for 1, or more, Gifts of Battle in no time, or at least by the time you've finished gathering everything needed for your Legendary. 

This,

It may take longer than if you fully embraced the game mode but you can get your GoB by standing in circles and killing PvE mobs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Gregg.3970 said:

Gift of Battle without boosters takes ~ 8 hrs, but why would anyone, especially not a fan of the game mode not research all of the Reward Track Boosters you can stack that halves this to ~4 hours. 

Hello Gregg! 

I do know about boosters and i do use them, but I was generally speaking! May be think of the fact that not everyone can afford some of the boosters! Even so, 4 hours is WAY TOO LONG! WvW is dead during the week lol 

Apologies for not being the one that likes mindlessly following a tag and doing whatever i am told to.. If you have that kind of mentality i am not judging, you are your own person! 

5 hours ago, Gregg.3970 said:

So I could ask you @lina.6738as a WvWer why must I spend ~ 3 days solid  (outside of WvW) doing mind numbing solo map completion (which I can only get through semi-afk watching a movie) when you can achieve Gift of Battle in 4 hrs (with boosters)??? 

You are crying about Gift of Exploration but we are talking about Gift of Battle here! If you have any questions, concerns or ideas about Gift of Exploration, you can post a topic about it! But to tell you the truth I would much rather do world completion continuosly than doing WvW for 4 hours! 

This is a game! People normally play games for entertainment! And I wanna enjoy it the way I wanna enjoy it! 

I was simply asking if we could possibly have more options for obtaining GoBs! I wasn't asking for the WvW option be removed... I wasn't asking for people to stop doing what they enjoy doing in the game... I wasn't asking for people to start doing things they don't enjoy in the game... Play gw2 how you like it and they way you like it but do not tell me i shouldn't want to do the same! I am allowed to have my opinion and I am allowed to state it whenever i agree/disagree with something! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

This is working as intended.  I don't see this changing.  ANet wants players who are looking to get a very optional luxury item to have to try WvW just as much as they want many players like me to enter PvE (or craft, which I hate with a passion) to get many legendary items.

That said, you can get the GoB doing dailies like Veteran Creature Slayer; Big Spender and Master of Monuments; these have very low risk of having to fight other players.  Land Claimer, Caravan Disruptor, Guard Killer and Camp Capturer have somewhat greater risk, depending on your server and the time of day you play.

Often, particularly around reset, there will be other players doing the dailies as well.  If you're enterprising and lucky, you might get other WvW daily tasks completed, like Invasion Defender, Tower Capturer (tower closest to spawn is a good option) and maybe even Objective Defender (carry supply and put it into a damaged wall while the Defend Event is running).

Regardless, you will not need to spend many hours in WvW.  Doing 1-3 dailies can usually be completed with 5-15 minutes per day.  Of course, you won't get the GoB as quickly as you might if you spent more time in WvW.  You'll have to ask yourself which you want more, quicker gratification or minimizing time in WvW.

Regards.

This is how I got mine, by looking for the easy dailies, and sometimes finding a bunch of people running around taking camps and towers, usually just after reset, especially on weekends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Those 8 painful hours are so unfair.

Just nobody tell PvErs that WvWers also save 500+ gold per legendary build because mystic clovers is worthless trash loot in WvW.

Well you get 2 a reward track.... so to get 77 clovers it'd take 39 reward tracks. That'd take 312 hours to save 500 gold. But on the upside you'd have 39 gifts of battle which you can vendor them for 2 gold or something.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Please use the forum search function.  This topic has been discussed ad nauseum .

It’s no more than 8 hours.  And can be done with daily’s.  I mean, maybe they should give WvW a ‘gift of exploration’ reward track ?  

And while they are at it, give us a track that gives us the gift of fortune as well.  

No one is FORCING you to get a legendary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

The focus of my questions is more about the general health of the game modes, and for players who enjoy those game modes.  What good does it do a competitive mode when a non-competitive player comes in and that player doesn't want to be there?

If this were Raiding, and a player who didn't want to raid, but wanted raid legendary armor, they couldn't really do it without a minimum investment of time and energy.  Unless they have stacks of cash/gold to buy their armor, they need to play, and most teams aren't going to want someone who isn't actively engaging in the game mode holding them back.  As in, if you don't learn how to Raid, you aren't getting Legendary armor.

So why do WvW players want people who do not like or enjoy the game mode playing it?  Why do you want players 'dumbing down' the player base?  Why is it okay to join WvW to NOT WvW?

It's a cosmetic reward, and one of the more prestigious ones in the game (legendary gear in general). The point was to have people playing all aspects of the game in order to craft the best items in the game, with some of the most unique skins. The purpose is to take you out of your comfort rut, and put you into the core aspects of the game (collection, competition against player, and exploration). Legendary weapons are supposed to be a difficult task. Simply playing the game in your own personal, limiting fashion should not offer up the absolute best gear the game has to offer (ascended gear with swappable stats, and free transmog). 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

This really just boils down to "I want something that requires something I don't care for, please give it to me anyway"

Yes, doing WvW every time you want a legendary is a pain in the kitten, but it's seriously not that big of a deal. Find your own way to make it bearable to you, stick through the bad stuff to get to what you want. 4~8 hours of gameplay is not that big of a deal and legendaries are as hard to get as they are for a reason.

Failing that, try putting yourself in the shoes of someone who is a WvW main that wants the fractal backpack or even just a normal gen 1 legendary weapon. You have it easy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Katsugankz.7156 said:

This really just boils down to "I want something that requires something I don't care for, please give it to me anyway"

Yes, doing WvW every time you want a legendary is a pain in the kitten, but it's seriously not that big of a deal. Find your own way to make it bearable to you, stick through the bad stuff to get to what you want. 4~8 hours of gameplay is not that big of a deal and legendaries are as hard to get as they are for a reason.

Failing that, try putting yourself in the shoes of someone who is a WvW main that wants the fractal backpack or even just a normal gen 1 legendary weapon. You have it easy.

I wanna say their arguement is that everyone can make legendary weapons, getting all materials doing exactly what they want to do, making the gear "earned" passively, and the status of legendary meaningless. OP isn't asking for it to be easier on just them, they seem to think WvW-ers shouldn't need to explore, or do collections, or anything they don't like. They want to add dozens, possibly billions (idk, I'm not good with numbers) of new ways to get all mats for legendaries. That's smart game design, right?

• Confused 5

53 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

It’s no more than 8 hours.  And can be done with daily’s.  I mean, maybe they should give WvW a ‘gift of exploration’ reward track ?  

That's something I'd say is a good point. If there was ever a PvE way to get the Gift of Battle I'd be hoping for a WvW way to get the Gift of Exploration.

I'd accept it would be more than one Reward Track. For example four reward tracks, the first 39 rewards being identical to the Gift of Battle. The last ones being Gift of North, South, East and West. Put all four in the mystic forge to get one Gift of Exploration. Without boosters or potions that's 48 hours worth, and only for one, you get two Gifts of Exploration the normal way.

Or, like you can unlock Hero Points for Testimonies, letting us unlock Hearts, Vistas, Waypoints and POIs for testimonies. That would mean spending up to 1857 testimonies. Enough to master 7 elite specs across your characters. More Testimonies than a full set of WvW Legendary Armour requires which is 6 certificates of Heroics at 250 each.

I'd say the only WvW currency I wouldn't spend would be my Skirmish Claim Tickets. Currently working on Legendary amour and they are the limiting factor. Though if it was different currencies for each type, I'd maybe combine it with PvE, do the ones that needed Claim Tickets in WvW manually in PvE. I don't know. I'd say if it was my choice, I'd go with Testimonies for any PvE exploration point. It would be heavy on one WvW currency for people who chose to get a GoE that way but  anything to conserve my Claim Tickets.

There's a couple of ideas for a GoE in WvW. Anyone that wanted a PvE way to get a Gift of Battle, would you be willing to do as much in PvE for a GoB as I suggested doing in WvW for a GoE. 4 reward tracks for one GoE or a huge amount of WvW currency to unlock the PvE map were the two examples I suggested. An example for a PvE GoB maybe: Make  Item1 from Gift of Ascalon, Gift of the Nobleman, Gift of Thorns and Gift of the Forgeman in the mystic forge. Make Item    2 from Gift of Baelfire, Gift of the Sanctuary, Gift of Knowledge and  Gift of Zhaitan. Buy Item 3 for a large amount of Karma. Then have any crafting skill at 500 to put the 3 items together for a gift of battle. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

One Crazy Trick that I would recommend to anyone who dislikes WvW is that even if you have no current plans to make a legendary, always have the Gift of Battle reward track active. At least to have one Gift of Battle to bank for when you do want to make a legendary.

Every day there's usually at least one WvW daily that can be done quickly with little-to-no need to group up or do the PvP aspect of WvW. Mast of Monuments is easy enough, especially in your home borderlands. Veteran Creature Slayer is also easy if you know the spawns (sometimes you do need to wait 10+ minutes for it to spawn which isn't ideal). I prefer the Veteran Harpy in Alpine Borderlands. If it's your home borderlands, you can wait up on the edge and you are immune to enemy damage to make the wait easier. Even Camp Capturer and Mists Guard Killer are easy to do solo, the latter being very easy if an enemy keep/tower is nearby and you can wait for the guards outside to respawn over and over.

Is this a quick way to get a Gift of Battle? No. Depending on how many 'easy' WvW dailies you get per day, it may take a few months which is why I would recommend slowly doing 'easy' WvW dailies whenever you can. But this is a very casual, low-stress way to get a Gift of Battle. WvW and group combat in general makes me anxious sometimes, so it's nice to chip away at it little by little, which generally is how I prefer to make a legendary anyway. Yeah, sometimes you'll run into enemy players which is to be expected, and to be honest I would not be entirely disappointed if there were other, non-WvW methods to get a Gift of Battle. But..... there are ways to get it that are as PvE-adjacent as you can get. At least the Gift of Battle isn't exclusively sold for skirmish tickets.... 😅

Edited by Esterie.7409
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1