How excited are you for EoD compared to HoT and PoF?

How excited are you for EoD compared to HoT and PoF?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. How excited are you for EoD compared to HoT and PoF?

Far less excited. HoT maps are amazing, meta events are still worth doing, elite specs were fun, we got gliders. PoF maps are still good but events mostly aren't worth doing, mounts were a big selling point, and elite specs were also pretty fun. EoD? Fishing and skiffs? We'll see, not impressed tbh. None of the elite specs hold my interest so far.

• Like 3

I mean they haven't really shown us anything yet besides the elite specs. They told us there is fishing and skiffs. And... we still waiting. No date, no big draw. What big repeatable content is there that's new and exciting? IDK they wont talk about it. I want to be excited. I want to be hyped. Anet just decided for whatever reason they want to go radio silent for EoD. They wont talk about strikes and how they're suppose to be better, they wont talk about pve metas, they wont talk about fractals. I mean I preordered and everything, and I am looking forward to it, but actually hyped? No, they haven't given me a reason to be yet.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Not overly excited for the expansion itself. A ~week of story will be nice to play through sure, but this is an MMO. What I'm curious about (although not overly hopeful) is the game support that comes with it after in terms of Strikes, CM's tuning, balance and general MMO features. 

The Elite specs, which are generally the biggest draw for me are imo largely thematically weak and mechanically poorly thought out and seem fairly quickly thrown together. Fishing has never been something I personally have enjoyed in a game.

If Anet goes back to just some LW story patches every couple months after EoD with maybe a moderate balance patch per year, I just don't see much hope ahead in terms of maintaining and winning back a large and stable core player base, for expansions to come. 

If post EoD we get something like a Fractal + Strike with CM's and moderate to major balance patch, along with that LW or some current events stuff every quarter - along some long time coming/needed major features and reworks like the Alliance system, Guild Mission/system reworks and updates, etc., then the game might be heading somewhere into the future.  

I'll enjoy EoD for what it will be either way though, but we'll see what's beyond.

• Like 5

Well, I left the game shortly after Heart of Thorns launched due to some directions it was going. I didn't come back until after PoF launched. So, I had zero excitement for the launch of either, though I've enjoyed both immensely when I came back to the game.

As for EoD, I'm not excited the way I'd be to play the FFXVII remake if the PC port gets fixed or a new Elder Scrolls.

But I am excited about:

*New story to play

*New zones to explore

*Making my first legendary weapon

*Spectre depending on where its design lands

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

I mean, I'm really looking forward to it. I love the eastern asian thematic, and playing through Cantha in Gw1 I'm looking forward to seeing Cantha. But I cannot help but feel underwhelmed by it so far, don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the new legendries, fishing, the story and so forth, but the thing which is holding me back right now is definitely the elite specs.

I'm a ranger main, and what we got was core ranger with some mild spice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tough answer for me. I had quit the game and wasn't really playing when HoT came out. The expansion announcement didn't interest me, and I disregarded it. It wasn't until Living World Season 3 episode 4 came out that I decided to check things out (and I missed out, I admit).

Conversely, I was very excited for Path of Fire and pre-ordered/played on launch.

Factions was my favourite region/campaign in GW1, so I am very excited about that. That said, LWS3 story was so good that I was hyped for the PoF story. I strongly disliked IBS from the get-go, that I'm not very into the story any more. I'm hoping EoD hooks me back in, but I haven't enjoyed any story beats since War Eternal (May 2019), so I am not holding my breath.

The elite specs aren't super interesting, but it's hard to compare to my thoughts on PoF/HoT as I didn't really look at the e-specs before either release. 

EoD is in some way similar to PoF, except the latter felt more refreshing and had more interesting major feature. EoD feels like a cheaper version, I have a feeling that they just want to finally launch the expansion and forget about it right away.

Fishing and skiffs as major feature? I'm sorry, it's at best the side feature.

Elite specializations? Could be fun, we will see how they feel and what's the balance.

Maps and story? Similarly to PoF it's gonna be gw1 nostalgia driven, but so far i don't feel the aesthetic presented to us in trailers and screenshots. I really loved asian theme in gw factions, here i cannot spot it so far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mesket.5728 said:

Exactly this. Remove those things and everything else is just reskining and reusing code. This expansion is so cheap i feel scammed to pay it full price. See you on steam sale , EoD. I wont be waiting though.

I mean it's not just reskin and reuse, elites were surprise, most people hate them, but I find them very interesting, as they do not stick to traditional RPG stuff. It's just that marketed features are not something that can be marketable in current state of MMO landscape. Anet could make fishing very fun and rewarding, but unless I need to experience it to change my mind, it's not a good marketing material.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mistsim.2748 said:

I think there's like 2-3 fanboys spamming the confusion emojis at stuff they disagree with lol. 

Looks like 4-5 but who's counting. I am super hyped but have not posted a single confused emoji... for the record.

I will agree that the gliding from HoT and mount from PoF will be hard to top. That said, beta testing the turtle with my kids driving was the most hilarious fun I have ever had in this game. That experience was legit 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Heart of Thorns was coming in after a deep content drought. The teasers were like a drink of ice water on a hot summer day.  Adding to this were world events and new maps that eventually lead up to the expansion. I was very excited for it with few reservations.
I remember thinking Silverwaste was hard - what a shock Heart of Thorns was at the time! The community's initial response was not a positive one - but with some tweaking Heart of Thorns has easily become a place with some of the most enjoyable meta events. 
Path of Fire while preceded by world events as well, did not generate the same amount of hype for me initially, though I couldn't tell you why.  I was still engaged by the story and had been deeply surprised by the announcement of mounts. I think I might have been holding back after how difficult Heart of Thorns had been originally. By contrast Path of Fire was actually easier to approach. Although I do feel there is a lot of wasted space so there's this feeling of empty expansiveness that kind of dulled the experience of exploration in to a sense of tedium. 

The story steps leading up to End of Dragons paired with real world events and technical issues within the game has really exhausted my enthusiasm. I think watching a Kodan commit suicide was perhaps the turning point for me. That was followed by some of the most intense and unpleasant achievement grind the game has ever known.  What made things worse is that the game has gradually become more and more difficult for my computer to run. 

Hearing that we're going to Cantha did make me buy the expansion. At this point, I want to see this thing to the end. But I am not excited and I admit I have a lot of reservations. 
My first experience with the Guild Wars franchise was through Factions.  I don't know what I expect, but I hope it doesn't feel like it did when Lobster Arch was revealed, you know? A place you love for all it's charm and nostalgia replaced with commercial chintz. 

Non of the teasers and previews sparked in me the feeling of awe and wonder the other two expansions did but I didn't play this game since it's Guild Wars 1 days, just to turn my back now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I'm fairly excited. I'm really happy that the game is getting a long overdue expansion which will bring new attention to GW2 and new content to existing players.

I like that I will be able to explore Cantha and discover the story there and I'm sure there will be many nice new achievements and masteries.

I'm less enthusiastic about the new elite spec for Elementalist, the only profession that I play and fishing would not have been my first choice for a content type either. (Player housing and a Hall of Monuments would have been)

Overall I'm still excited to play the story and explore Cantha!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Darketh.2304 said:

Meanwhile that's exactly what WoW and Ff14 do and everyone loves it. I personally can't wait to play EOD it'll make this great game even better in my opinion.

how so? ff14 literally gives job revamp for outdated classes on top of new classes/ new skills, while warrior in gw2 still garbage for 2 years now in pvp for having 2012 skills.

and new raids, new trial bosses, normal modes/savage mode, new dungeons, tons new mounts, tons new armor sets.

whens last time gw2 get a raid or dungeon or actually challenging content?..oh did i mention endwalker story can single handily destroy all gw2 expansions including features.

Edited by felix.2386
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

27 minutes ago, felix.2386 said:

how so? ff14 literally gives job revamp for outdated classes on top of new classes/ new skills, while warrior in gw2 still garbage for 2 years now in pvp for having 2012 skills.

and new raids, new trial bosses, normal modes/savage mode, new dungeons, tons new mounts, tons new armor sets.

whens last time gw2 get a raid or dungeon or actually challenging content?..oh did i mention endwalker story can single handily destroy all gw2 expansions including features.

Yes we get it you like FF14 it is the best game of the year, Endwalker is the ultimate DLC that ends all other game, great for you. GW2 main strenght has always been its open world map coupled with the event occuring on the said map. The game keep more or less the same popularity despite the lack of new raid, dungeon or "challenging content" and the dev understands that. 

EoD isnt going to be a big revolution for GW2 but it is going to bring more content, more activities, more specs to mess around with and more stories. So yeah I am looking forward to play EoD. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, felix.2386 said:

And 1 living world episode can single handily destroy FFXIV's open world content.

Okay i'm exaggerating.

But different games with different strengths. Have almost 1k hours in FFXIV, but at the end of the day the game couldn't hold my attention like GW2 does.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Darketh.2304 said:

Meanwhile that's exactly what WoW and Ff14 do and everyone loves it. I personally can't wait to play EOD it'll make this great game even better in my opinion.

Just because someone else does it, it doesnt make it a good practice. A bit reskining here and there is all good but there is nothing new in EoD besides fishing and the turtle. This game doesnt have vertical progression so it relies on new mechanics much more than the other 2. 

Also id love to have the number of dungeons and raids those games add each expansion... where gw2 has a mastery of saving and becoming cheaper and cheaper: we had dungeons? Hell no just go with fractals. Shorter and you just get in from portal in town. Raids? Hell no just go with SM, a room with a boss and thats it (on most cases).

I get that not everyone works on this industry and dont see it as clear but for real you cant even begin to compare HoT and EoD in value. EoD should as far as we know should be half the price or double the content. Most elite specs should be scrapped and replaced with something actually good and new.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

On 1/15/2022 at 11:30 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

HoT price at launch: $49.99

EoD price at launch: $29.99

So its $5 away from “half the price”. 

Yeah at least they reckon that this expansion is not on par with its precedent

Edited by Mesket.5728
  • Confused 2