Griffon mount coming to WoW

I very much doubt a barrel role on a dragon be something that could be copyrighted or trademarked.  It is just too general of a concept - as are dragons and dragon like critters themselves.  The only things that make the skyscale actually unique is that it can not stay in the air without losing height over time and its annoying habit of clinging to every vertical surface, neither of which appears to be something wow copied.

• Like 7

Heh, Blizzard and their spectacular greedy failure with D3 vanilla is why I even came to Gw2 in the first place. I have never bought another product from them again, and the only time I play their games is some nostalgia with Starcraft 1 and 2.

Maybe Blizzard will help more people come over here again! xD

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lamont.5973 said:

I very much doubt a barrel role on a dragon be something that could be copyrighted or trademarked.

I'd like to see a dragon mount do a barrel roll for once in a game. All these rolls are Aileron Rolls.

I wonder how Peppy Hare even passed his flight tests.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Lamont.5973 said:

I very much doubt a barrel role on a dragon be something that could be copyrighted or trademarked.  It is just too general of a concept - as are dragons and dragon like critters themselves.  The only things that make the skyscale actually unique is that it can not stay in the air without losing height over time and its annoying habit of clinging to every vertical surface, neither of which appears to be something wow copied.

Didn't someone get the birthday song? I'd not dismiss anything these days. That said, there is no case for something of this nature. If so, GW2 is itself guilty of taking ideas from other MMOs, and games in general. Sharing ideas leads to new ideas. Not sure how good they'll be coming from current Blizzard, but I like the new talent trees, so I'll be giving it a go.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Lamont.5973 said:

It's not the concepts we are talking about, it's that they have the same exact animations. I think the concepts you are talking about would be comparable to how TF2's Medic creates a healing beam with a Medi gun while OW's Mercy uses Caduceus staff or how OW's Genji throws Shuriken while Paladin's Maeve throws daggers. As similar as they are it's not an issue because they take those concepts and add their own animations so it wouldn't matter.

• Thanks 2

ArenaNet could pursue this if they wanted to (See Walmart vs Yeezy or Carlton vs Fortnite for an idea of the silly things you can sue over), but for the moment it seems like all this is doing is giving GW2 free marketing and positive press. As I understand it, mounts in WoW are very different from and less functional than mounts in GW2 and so the end result of this PR stunt might be more beneficial to GW2 than to WoW in which case they may see no reason to go after Blizzard even though they could.

At minimum, Grouch seems fine with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

ArenaNet could pursue this if they wanted to (See Walmart vs Yeezy or Carlton vs Fortnite for an idea of the silly things you can sue over), but for the moment it seems like all this is doing is giving GW2 free marketing and positive press. As I understand it, mounts in WoW are very different from and less functional than mounts in GW2 and so the end result of this PR stunt might be more beneficial to GW2 than to WoW in which case they may see no reason to go after Blizzard even though they could.

Definitely giving GW2 some free press and some more hate on Blizz lol.  WoWs mounts are not situation specific unlike GW2, excluding flying vs ground of course.  Also unlikely Anet had the resources or the interest in starting a lawsuit to go up against Blizz/Activision

I had a few lengthy posts on the other thread, not gonna repeat myself. Lol.

But it's just sad that there is no creativity done on Blizz side. Plagiarism usually means the team/person doing it is burnt out, has no passion/thought process and just in it for the salary.

Legal issue wise, it is difficult to pursue unless there is prior intellectual property registry filed of any kind.  If not, it might be under the domain of plagiarism, which is usually handled within internal court under Code of Ethics, instead of judicial court. I don't have knowledge of game industry, so don't take my word for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interestingly, in all the videos I could find, no birds tuck their wings during an aileron roll. I was curious to know if ANets animations simply came from real world examples. In all the vids of birds doing rolls their wings are still out, which makes total sense.

I'm sure Blizzard has a team of lawyers who have a good idea of what is actionable copyright violation and what is not.

All the Anet people I follow on Twitter seem to find it amusing and/or appreciate the free publicity, so I don't think any of them are inclined to sue. Having said that none of them are lawyers as far as I know, I also don't know if it's is something a game studio could (or would) sue over. But from what I've seen they don't seem to mind.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I'm not sure how legal it would be to challenge it considering there's some hurdles throughout ArenaNet's history like the fact that they were Blizzard originally (though not the main division) so there's likely legal contract and agreement murkiness for both their employees and IP going way back into the early 2000s.

There's likely been significant dev shift from WoW to GW and GW to WoW over the years, too. In the game industry you're moved around between companies all the time.

Also keep in mind that WoW had an entire expansion that basically copied GW2 during the mid-2010s, when it was a trend for games to move away from WoW-isms and embrace the more modern nature of GW2's MMO design. which culminated in even WoW doing it too and radically departing from its original classic style.

The general rule is, unless you're copying some kind of media directly (the code, artwork, the animation files, etc.), then its fair game to reimplement whatever you want in another product.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

On 4/19/2022 at 2:13 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

GW2 dynamic events have been utilised in other mmos and I’m pretty sure if we analysed it enough, GW2 has borrowed from other mmos.

The first game I saw have dynamic events was Warhammer Online. That game was actually quite fun so it’s unfortunate it didn’t make it very far and got shut down not too long after launch. In Warhammer they were called public quests I’m pretty sure if I remember right. I have saw many mmo’s take many of the concepts of that failed mmo and implement them. Warhammer Online was before Guild Wars 2 by the way. 

I feel the same as you though about acknowledging that all games take from each other. They definitely all do it. It’s nothing new. It doesn’t bother me that WoW is implementing Guild Wars 2 mount system somewhat. As someone else said, it’s the highest form of flattery. 

One game I saw flat out copy another one though and I was shocked they didn’t get sued. My son plays Fortnite and they put a new mini game in Fortnite that was almost a 100% copy/paste of Among Us. While all games definitely take from each other, such a blatant copy shocked me. I just felt they crossed the line there a bit. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, yudrasil.9378 said:

Dude, have you seen the new dragon race?? it is basically WoW version of a revenant. I do respect the shamleless thieving tho

What part of Revenant do you even see in the Drakthyr?

In my opinion it's a lot closer to Dark Souls 3's derpy dragon form.

7 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

I'm not sure how legal it would be to challenge it considering there's some hurdles throughout ArenaNet's history like the fact that they were Blizzard originally (though not the main division) so there's likely legal contract and agreement murkiness for both their employees and IP going way back into the early 2000s.

There's likely been significant dev shift from WoW to GW and GW to WoW over the years, too. In the game industry you're moved around between companies all the time.

Also keep in mind that WoW had an entire expansion that basically copied GW2 during the mid-2010s, when it was a trend for games to move away from WoW-isms and embrace the more modern nature of GW2's MMO design. which culminated in even WoW doing it too and radically departing from its original classic style.

The general rule is, unless you're copying some kind of media directly (the code, artwork, the animation files, etc.), then its fair game to reimplement whatever you want in another product.

Small but important clarification: Anet was never part of Blizzard. 3 of the people who founded Anet met while working at Blizzard and all left around the same time (in the vey early days of WoW's development) then set up their own studio after leaving, but the companies are entirely separate.

I assume Blizzard retained ownership of the work they did while working there, like the MPQ Archive Mike O'Brien designed for battle.net, but they would have no claim to or control over work they did after leaving.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

There are too many WoW threads on this forum.

Seems valid.  I'm in the middle of washing my hands of GW2 for the 3rd time.  This expansion took all my joy for the game and tanked it.  Pretty sure lots of other people feel the same.  I'm cheering Blizz on for taking some better parts of GW2 other than the stupid Fractal system that they turned into M+ and tarnished the game's rhythm for years to come.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1