What would you do during a scheduled rollback?

Urud.4925

Recently I've learnt that Star Citizen has 1 or 2 server wipes per year, deleting all the characters, their inventory, money, and everything that it's not account bound. Thus, people usually spend all of their money to buy the most expensive ship they can afford, few days before the wipe.

Now I was thinking: "what would I do, if ArenaNet announced a scheduled roll-back at the end of the month, giving the notice with a couple of weeks in advance?"

It seemed a cool idea for a possible event, but I didn't find anything particularly crazy to do.

What would you do, if ArenaNet told us that on Monday, there will be a roll-back of 2 days, so everything you do in the week-end will be undone?

Edited by Urud.4925
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

I would probably convert all my stuff to gold and buy some infusions. Try them on various characters and decide, which ones are worth obtaining after the rollback.

We sadly still do not have an option to preview infusions.

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
replaced accounts with characters, I do not have multi acc ^^
  • Like 1

If it was a scheduled roll back and anything done after the point they're going to roll back to would be lost I'd probably either do nothing (spend my time playing a different game) or, if I could think of anything, focus on things where the effect on my account doesn't matter, like trying to figure out the way through a new jumping puzzle or experimenting with some of my temporary characters.

If it was like what you described Star Citizen doing where they wipe money, items etc. but leave account unlocks I'd probably sell all my crafting materials and use the gold to buy skins to add to the wardrobe, but everyone else would do the same thing so prices for crafting materials would crash and prices for skins would shoot up, likely making it impossible for most players to afford them.

That would never happen in this game though. I don't know anything about Star Citizen but presumably it's one of those 'seasonal' games where periodically resetting everyone and starting over is part of the design. That's not the case for GW2, which is designed as a persistent world where you keep the same characters and progress throughout the game. There would be no benefit at all in wiping everything and making everyone start over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Uninstalling and moving on to a game that respects the time I spend there.

This. 

Star Citizen is pay to win with buying ships, and some people spend an absurd amount on.  If this game resembled it's model, I would find another game to play.

I play a game where my stuff remains without me having to worry, it's one of the charms.  So I would log off and not be back if they wiped everything.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As others stated, this is not an issue for GW2. If some server update were to happen causing something similar, I'd play Civilization or Age of Empires until it was sorted out.

Star Citizen is still in development. My son plays it. Lots of bugs still. Lots of development still. It may never be released. I assume it it ever does get released, the resets will cease.

Edited by DeanBB.4268
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

As others stated, this is not an issue for GW2. If some server update were to happen causing something similar, I'd play Civilization or Age of Empires until it was sorted out.

Star Citizen is still in development. My son plays it. Lots of bugs still. Lots of development still. It may never be released. I assume it it ever does get released, the resets will cease.

Oh now I remember it, the game that's been 'in development' for about 15 years with millions in crowd funding and very little to show for it.

In that case it's more comparable to trying to actually play on a game's testing server where everything is wiped in between tests. I've used test servers for Elder Scrolls Online and some other games and at first the novelty of being given a bunch of free stuff or being able to buy cash shop items without actually spending money is fun, but sooner or later it wears off and the fact that you can't actually keep any of your progress means it's not worth doing for anything other than actually testing stuff. On a test server that's reasonable because that is the idea, but it would be absurd to do that to the release version of an MMO.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

I would probably convert all my stuff to gold and buy some infusions. Try them on various characters and decide, which ones are worth obtaining after the rollback.

We sadly still do not have an option to preview infusions.

Good point.

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If it was a scheduled roll back and anything done after the point they're going to roll back to would be lost I'd probably either do nothing (spend my time playing a different game) or, if I could think of anything, focus on things where the effect on my account doesn't matter, like trying to figure out the way through a new jumping puzzle or experimenting with some of my temporary characters.
[...]
That would never happen in this game though. I don't know anything about Star Citizen but presumably it's one of those 'seasonal' games where periodically resetting everyone and starting over is part of the design. That's not the case for GW2, which is designed as a persistent world where you keep the same characters and progress throughout the game. There would be no benefit at all in wiping everything and making everyone start over.

Star Citizen gave me the idea (the game is permanently in alpha, so they wipe the server for stability and development reasons), but I didn't want to suggest a real wipe or compare the 2 games. Only a scheduled rollback, to just come back in time of 2 days. Apart from buying something very expensive from the trading post, like infusions, I don't think we can do something "yolo" in the end.

Edited by Urud.4925

Compile a list of all the legendaries in screenshots I've made for posterity. It's my main hobby and goal in this game so it'd be nice to look back and see what I had in my collection. Visit some of my favorite in game places for some screenshots of my mains.

Why did you change it to rollback?? A rollback isn't a huge deal and the first version of the question was much more interesting.

Edited by Sarge shot Grif.6450
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Urud.4925 said:

It seemed a cool idea for a possible event, but I didn't find anything particularly crazy to do.

So wrecking a big swath of the economy would be cool but not crazy?

Alternatively if stupid parts are removed what is left is basically the beta weekends.

Edited by Khisanth.2948

If we're talking just for a weekend, then it'd be like the various elite beta tests where you could make a beta character whose progress would not affect your account and would be wiped when the beta was done.  Of course, that intrinsically provides an activity, ie playing around with the new specs.  But without that, it would be chance to try out areas of the game I don't usually go in because I have other things to do.  If nothing I do matters, I may as well go where whim takes me.

However, most likely I just wouldn't play that weekend.

This has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've seen suggested. The only thing this made sense for was allowing us to test the beta specializations, and I found I didn't play them much if at all, because why bother? My progress would be wasted on them.

I thought Guild Wars 2 was liked because it tried to have good ideas and not copy the bad ideas of other games. Granted, it and the developers have clearly changed somewhat past that, but even so, I think I'd rather suggest good ideas, thank you.

To answer your question, I just wouldn't play during that time. In fact, I'd play less if at all, and I suspect many among the playerbase would too...that's not a good thing, I think.

• Like 1