Gaile Gray, where are you?

Lonecap.4105

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"AnClar.1304" said:https://gamedaily.biz/article/623/arenanet-eas-firemonkeys-face-significant-layoffsAll promises to the contrary, this article is really a cause for grave doubts about the future of the MMORPG universe. I'm thoroughly depressed now.

I think it's impossible to predict what will happen, especially from reading a game daily article. There are companies that struggle to adapt to minor changes in their funding stream and others that bounce back from near disaster. With the news of the specific names leaving ANet (and the amount of institutional knowledge that will be lost), this is a big upheaval. But what it means for ANet or even GW2 ... still too soon to say.

I expect to see some business-speak from management, which I'll also ignore. I'll wait to see what the company actually delivers in 8-9 months. The next six months or more is close enough to delivery that it probably won't be affected much; it's what happens after that interests me.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"AnClar.1304" said:
All promises to the contrary, this article is really a cause for grave doubts about the future of the MMORPG universe. I'm thoroughly depressed now.

I think it's impossible to predict what will happen, especially from reading a
game daily
article. There are companies that struggle to adapt to minor changes in their funding stream and others that bounce back from near disaster. With the news of the specific names leaving ANet (and the amount of institutional knowledge that will be lost), this is a big upheaval. But what it means for ANet or even GW2 ... still too soon to say.

I expect to see some business-speak from management, which I'll also ignore. I'll wait to see what the company actually delivers in 8-9 months. The next six months or more is close enough to delivery that it
probably
won't be affected much; it's what happens after that interests me.

When employees are laid off in such large numbers, the hit to morale aside, I strongly suspect that there will be overall qualitative product declines as well. You just can't remove that much institutional knowledge without negative effects. In games like GW2, with it's traditional approach to community development, it's inevitable that there will be less time to devote to that all-important part of any game...the community. People will be expected to do twice the work they'd been doing before. I've seen this in too many other industries to believe it will be any different in the gaming world. I hope for the best, but frankly, I'm expecting the worst.

@AnClar.1304 said:

All promises to the contrary, this article is really a cause for grave doubts about the future of the MMORPG universe. I'm thoroughly depressed now.

game daily
article. There are companies that struggle to adapt to minor changes in their funding stream and others that bounce back from near disaster. With the news of the specific names leaving ANet (and the amount of institutional knowledge that will be lost), this is a big upheaval. But what it means for ANet or even GW2 ... still too soon to say.

I expect to see some business-speak from management, which I'll also ignore. I'll wait to see what the company actually delivers in 8-9 months. The next six months or more is close enough to delivery that it
probably

When employees are laid off in such large numbers, the hit to morale aside, I strongly suspect that there will be overall qualitative product declines as well. You just can't remove that much institutional knowledge without negative effects. In games like GW2, with it's traditional approach to community development, it's inevitable that there will be less time to devote to community development. People will be expected to do twice the work they'd been doing before. I've seen this in too many other industries to believe it will be any different in the gaming word. I hope for the best, but frankly, I'm expecting the worst.

The difference between our posts is that you're expecting something and I'm not. Yes, these layoffs are substantial; the company will never be the same. That could be bad, for all the reasons that you (and I) mentioned. Or it could end up forcing ANet to rethink things entirely, to good effect. Since I have absolutely no control over that, I choose to wait to see how it actually turns out.

I would like to take a moment to wish Gaile the best in life with all her future endeavors. You will be missed Gaile and we all love and wish you well!! Now I would like to take a moment to tell Anet and NcSoft that you all will no longer get any gem card purchases from me. You have let one of the best employees you have ever had go, Gaile was able to smooth over your blunders in ways that no one else ever could and with the loss of her comes the loss of what little respect anyone has for your company. Games will come and games will go but true value added employees are few and far between. So with that mark off at least another $25 a month from your books, I know $25 by itself is not a lot but when you start adding up multiples which will happen it adds up quick.

Here's a quick list of staff being layoff for anyone's information.https://massivelyop.com/2019/02/25/guild-wars-2s-layoffs-has-begun-as-arenanet-devs-tweet-their-departures-and-fans-express-loveforarenanet/

Staff like Foreman are key in events like SAB and Ben in fractals are gone. Suffice to say GW2 is unlikely to be the same, contrary to what the company said about "not be affected". And unfortunately Gaile the staff that's one of the few dev that actually talk with players are also gone. Unless we see some effective shift in management or change in policy, its hard not to believe it is only downhill from here.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

game daily

probably

When employees are laid off in such large numbers, the hit to morale aside, I strongly suspect that there will be overall qualitative product declines as well. You just can't remove that much institutional knowledge without negative effects. In games like GW2, with it's traditional approach to community development, it's inevitable that there will be less time to devote to community development. People will be expected to do twice the work they'd been doing before. I've seen this in too many other industries to believe it will be any different in the gaming word. I hope for the best, but frankly, I'm expecting the worst.

The difference between our posts is that you're expecting something and I'm not. Yes, these layoffs are substantial; the company will never be the same. That could be bad, for all the reasons that you (and I) mentioned. Or it could end up forcing ANet to rethink things entirely, to good effect. Since I have absolutely no control over that, I choose to wait to see how it actually turns out.

https://medium.com/@davidgallan/who-knows-what-s-good-or-bad-my-tedx-talk-transcript-8404344779ce OK. Your point is well-taken. :)

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:I've only been on GW2 for a little over a year, and active on the forum for only the past few months. In that short time, I saw what a warm, dedicated, and inspiring presence she was as not only the face of the company, but as much a part of the community as us all.

Gaile, you will be sorely missed. Wishing you the best. <3

Gaile has been with us since GW1, she was the best and most loved of the community staff. (edit: not only the community staff - of the whole company I would say)

WTH ANet?

Archived