Turn Guild Wars 1 into a Smartphone Game

GuriGashi.5617

The game can literally be played by clicking, including walking, UI usage and the combat, supported by the fact that you can not jump, would probably be supported by modern smartphones, give people an incentive to start/finish their 50 Guild Wars 1 Reward Points and would easily be one of the best „MMO’s“ in the AppStore/PlayStore.

Not sure if that is even possible, but I would be a happy player :]

Edited by snoow.1694
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Why? Just ... why?

??? because I want to play it remotely and the game has the requirements to be supported on phones.

It would also be free marketing for Guild Wars 2 as people who would play Guild Wars 1 on their phones might get interested in the modern version. The game would probably be one of the best RPG phone games.

I see no negatives and it is better than the game having 0 population.

Edited by snoow.1694
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, hatozeni.5721 said:

I wouldn't play GW2 on mobile, but I'm a boomer.
If the Arena Net really wants the latest generations (and obviously the next ones) to play GW2 it has to implement a controller option and a mobile version.
Sorry for my excess of realism.

I am talking about Guild Wars 1, not Guild Wars 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Altonese.6542 said:

I actually don't see a big downside to this idea. Obviously let people play GW1 on the computer if they want to, but mobile would be a neat idea, and the only arguments I can (at least personally) see against it are just, people being weirdly stuck up about mobile gaming.

Glad to see that someone might like the idea as well :]

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The idea isnt necs the problem. This has been suggested since GW2 launched. The issue is where do the devs come from to spend many months or longer to convert it? We know other projects incl mobile stuff was cancelled couple of years ago, poss due to the impact on GW2. Given GW2 stretches the resources if the team enough and theyve never been able to manage side projects before, how is this going to come to fruition?

For the record, id love it to happen, but Im doubtful it will

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Altonese.6542 said:

I actually don't see a big downside to this idea. Obviously let people play GW1 on the computer if they want to, but mobile would be a neat idea, and the only arguments I can (at least personally) see against it are just, people being weirdly stuck up about mobile gaming.

I'm not against them making it a mobile game, but since there aren't a lot of people playing GW1 and it's an old game with 2D maps and old graphics, I think it wouldn't be worth the investment for them.

Incidentally, if they would make a mobile game out of it, I wouldn't play it because I don't like to game on such small screens, but like I said, I'm not against it unless they would make updates to the game (stories, maps) that you'd have to play the mobile version for. 

I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately unlikely as ANet has shaken the dust of Guild Wars 1 from their feet and never looked back.

personally I think they should consider selling it to a group of devs who are willing to make changes and add expansions (under a contract and set of rules as to what they can add or change). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snoow.1694 said:

The game can literally be played by clicking, including walking, UI usage and the combat, supported by the fact that you can not jump, would probably be supported by modern smartphones, give people an incentive to start/finish their 50 Guild Wars 1 Reward Points and would easily be one of the best „MMO’s“ in the AppStore/PlayStore.

Making it run on my android tablet would make it an instant buy.

12 hours ago, snoow.1694 said:

• Thanks 1

It's a neat idea, but yeah, development is the barrier.

The only realistic approach would be to farm development out to a company known for its ports (like Vicarious Visions or Aspyr).

But then, how do you pay for that development without taking money away from GW2 development?

You'd have to charge for the game, which is a really difficult sell in a market primarily driven by its free-to-play model. Unlike GW2, the first game doesn't have the Gem Store or Black Lion Company, so monetisation options are limited.

Of course, the benefits of developing for Android mean it could pave the way for development of a working Linux client for GW1 (and potentially GW2 in the long term), but at this point, that's pie-in-the-sky dreaming.

On 9/20/2021 at 3:28 PM, aspirine.6852 said:

I'd rather see and pay for a remake version of GW1.. Not mobile, yuck.

Going mobile is basically selling out to the lowest bidder for quick cash.  It is the final resting place of once great games.

I love Guild Wars 1 but I honestly believe if they attempted a remake with this team they would butcher it.

• Like 1