Can we just go ahead an add a dislike option to posts?

I'm using the confused emote personally, and I have talked with a few others who also do the same.

Maybe not everyone is using it this way, but I am.

I think maybe some are confused and some want to dislike what I am saying.

I'm not sure sometimes if they need more info or better formatting.

A clear I don't like this (anonymous thumbs down) will be great.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 30
  • Sad 3

The key thing to it is anonymity, I think, and so a new option won't prevent the abuse of the emojis. Besides, a "Dislike" button is just as vague as any other emoji, especially if it's under a longer, more complicated post.

Then again, I still think the whole reaction system is absolutely pointless, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

I'm using the confused emote personally, and I have talked with a few others who also do the same.

Maybe not everyone is using it this way, but I am.

I think maybe some are confused and some want to dislike what I am saying.

I'm not sure sometimes if they need more info or better formatting.

Nope don't need it, in fact take away the confused emote and haha emote, just leave the heart and thanks emotes cause that'll take away the "anonymous condescending" emojis on the forums.

If you don't like a post or don't agree with it, you don't gotta hide. Just say it, for example. I think this post is not well thought out and just reaching for straws.

Edited by Dravvi.3146
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 20

If the forum was an actual important search engine where the accuracy of posts mattered so that a like-to-dislike ratio become an important tool for future people looking at it, this is a reasonable argument.

But its not. 

Its just a forum. 

You're meant to discuss.

If you want to dislike something, say the kitten so in replies.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 11

I think a dislike button would be better than what people seem to be doing instead which is using the confused reaction. It would have been better to just not have the reaction system at all.

That said I think the anonymity of the the reaction system is the most polite way to tell someone you dislike/disagree with what they said without turning the topic into a discussion about one particular post within. If everyone stops to say you're wrong that's actually kinda disruptive to the broader conversation.

There are also some posters here that won't just agree to disagree and get kinda of combative over something that doesn't really matter that much. So I think 10 confused emojis is better than 10 posts saying the same thing.

• Like 15
  • Confused 4

Eh, personally not a fan of the current system as well, but a dislike system like reddit has and others is just as bad. Systems like this limit speech because it pushes topics back even if someone doesn't want to hear it. All people have a right to say what they want even if it goes against some beliefs. So, the dislike system is just a bad way to push aside topics because someone disagrees with what was said. At least the current one isn't as bad as reddit though.

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Confused 6

21 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Eh, personally not a fan of the current system as well, but a dislike system like reddit has and others is just as bad. Systems like this limit speech because it pushes topics back even if someone doesn't want to hear it. All people have a right to say what they want even if it goes against some beliefs. So, the dislike system is just a bad way to push aside topics because someone disagrees with what was said. At least the current one isn't as bad as reddit though.

It's all arbitrary anyways

• Confused 4

I'll have to find referenced articles later, but there's been a lot of studies recently that have concluded that "Like" systems have been detrimental to the internet as a whole.

I fully believe that such systems should be gotten rid of, and that if someone wants to agree or disagree with a comment, they should comment themselves.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
  • Like 6
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I'll have to find referenced articles later, but there's been a lot of studies recently that have concluded that "Like" systems have been detrimental to the internet as a whole.

I fully believe that such systems should be gotten rid of, and that if someone wants to agree or disagree with a comment, they should comment themselves.

If you like, I can post a small essay I wrote a while ago on exactly how terrible Reddit's voting system is. (Spoiler: Very.)

57 minutes ago, vanfrano.1325 said:

Get rid of the whole emote thing.

Sadly not possible because of the kitten way this forum software was built.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

If you don't like something, just say in it the comments and then discuss it. This is a place for constructive discussion, so this way everyone will have to demonstrate what they disagree with. Instead of just reading the post, throw a dislike, then leave. Usually, happen in the case OP said something that itches them.

Moreover, I'm not sure if this is a sh*t post that asking for downvote/confused emotes or not...

Adding an actual dislike emotes may create many troll degens that constantly post no context posts on the forum just to farm the dislike, despite how wholesome this community is. I saw people say BS in the chat all the time. It's fine and funny in the game. However, I'm not expecting to see similar- ascended levels of no context and BS while browsing the forum.

Edited by Gegege.9056
  • Confused 7

41 minutes ago, Arnox.5128 said:

If you like, I can post a small essay I wrote a while ago on exactly how terrible Reddit's voting system is. (Spoiler: Very.)

Sadly not possible because of the kitten way this forum software was built.

I have to agree, reddit can have no real discussion anymore, pretty much every sub reddit is echo chamber for what is popular at that time. Reddit hates forums, because you actually have to deal with different opinions not by clicking some icon, to put post in hell, but actually back up your stance on one question or another, which creates engagement and controversial topics do not get sent to pits of hell, but stays at top, where it should be

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

A disagree button doesn't have to mean down voting. We briefly had one on the old forum and all it did was put a little 'thumb down' symbol below the post, like the current reactions. It didn't move it or hide it, just showed that at some point in time some anonymous person hadn't liked it.

Of course that does mean it's not particularly useful information. I tried to make sense of it for a while, comparing reactions to replies and trying to guess why someone didn't like my post and what I could learn from that or do about it, but my best guess is the people reacting typically don't reply (or at least don't quote/reference the posts they reacted to in their reply) so there was no way to tell what they didn't like about it. Unless your post is a single sentance it's ambiguous.

I think putting names to them could be helpful, it makes reactions more meaningful (especially if you can then match them up to replies) and makes it more like they're contributing to the discussion. But it might also be worth stripping it down to one agree (or thanks) reaction and one which is clearly disagree, unlike the current system where some people use reactions as intended and some have devised a personal code for what they 'really' mean, which makes them even more ambiguous than they already are.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Dravvi.3146 said:

Nope don't need it, in fact take away the confused emote and haha emote, just leave the heart and thanks emotes cause that'll take away the "anonymous condescending" emojis on the forums.

If you don't like a post or don't agree with it, you don't gotta hide. Just say it, for example. I think this post is not well thought out and just reaching for straws.

What this guy said

• Confused 8

I like the confused emojis. When I see them on my posts, it makes me feel like I'm a big-eared asura expounding upon the wonders of cephalolithopathy to an audience of skritt. And then I get all magnanimous and think, ah! So sad that they cannot perceive the shiny of shinies that is my intellect. Alas!

Edited by Tachenon.5270
unmitigated spelling
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

I disagree. Just remove all reaction emotes except Like, Thanks and Laugh. You don't need to know how many people dislike your post if those people can't be arsed to comment on the thread and explain what their issue with your post is.

• Like 4
  • Confused 10

5 hours ago, Gegege.9056 said:

If you don't like something, just say in it the comments and then discuss it. This is a place for constructive discussion, so this way everyone will have to demonstrate what they disagree with. Instead of just reading the post, throw a dislike, then leave. Usually, happen in the case OP said something that itches them.

Moreover, I'm not sure if this is a sh*t post that asking for downvote/confused emotes or not...

Adding an actual dislike emotes may create many troll degens that constantly post no context posts on the forum just to farm the dislike, despite how wholesome this community is. I saw people say BS in the chat all the time. It's fine and funny in the game. However, I'm not expecting to see similar- ascended levels of no context and BS while browsing the forum.

This is a place of constructive discussion that happens to have some oddly divisive emotes attached to it.  The existence of these shortcut responses have a way of negatively tailoring the mood of the conversation more than the actual discussion.  And I'm not sure how a straight like/dislike is any more degenerative than this stupid 'confused' emote.  It serves no purpose other than to agitate and ironically, confuse the readers/posters.

• Confused 6

I really don't understand this need to dislike something. If you disagree with something then say so and explain why. If you can't or won't do that, then don't. What would a dislike button add to the discussion? Exactly nothing.

I'm ok with positive emotes cause you can choose to put them in or not but it won't harm anything, but as soon as you add dislikes, as we see with the confused emote, it becomes a war of emotes. It really doesn't add anything to the discussion. What it adds is an anonymous, quick way, to take a stab at someone. That's not useful and it's detrimental to the general atmosphere on this forum.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

Wasn't there a Dislike version at the very beginning of the new forum here? At the beginning even with naming where everyone went at each other and then anonymously where it was exploited even worse?

I do not understand why the forum has these strange emotes anyway.

The only funny thing about the emotes for me is to see that some people now have a hobby. Good for them.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3