Outfits or armor skins?

Pick a cosmetic type  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Outfits or armor skins?

• Outfits
    • Armor skins

Personally I lean towards outfits for leveling because they're cheap, don't eat up transmutation charges, and are generally pretty good looking aesthetically and effect wise. Some armor sets still tend to look too simple compared to high quality outfits, and the really good looking armor skin sets on the gem shop are usually incomplete for a long time (like it'll just be shoulders, boots and gloves or something). Regardless, I still enjoy mixing and matching my armor skins and dyes to make cool looking characters, and completing a set through hard work like dungeons or events (getting the Lunatic Court skins is a real kitten and I still haven't done it) is always rewarding, even if you don't actually transmute the whole set completely. How do you guys feel?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I tend to prefer (sets of) armor skins because they give more options for customization plus mixing-and-matching.

Also, one may have paid like 2000 gold for a pair of invisible slippers. You CAN use these with your favourite armor set, but not with your outfit.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
Iterative writing
  • Like 3

Both. I use armour in combat and outfits for times and places where armour looks inappropriate.

For example I have the Arctic Explorer Outfit for cold maps (I know it doesn't affect the character but watching someone run around a snowstorm in a sleeveless top makes me feel cold!), a few formal clothing outfits for things like meeting world leaders, festivals, etc. and some less formal ones like the monk outfit or common clothing outfit for 'downtime' in cities.

I've also got the Herald of Aurene outfit for story purposes. I actually made my own "Champion of Aurene" costume using armour skins when IBS started, but I got bored with using it all the time and didn't want to keep using transmutation charges to swap it in and out, or make versions for all my characters. I might still do that, but I like having the outfit as a quick alternative.

I've got a few random extras too, like an ebon vanguard outfit, which I assume came from a black lion chest. Those don't get much use although I might occasionally use them on a tempoary character so they're not naked when I'm stripping off their equipment.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Both. I use armour in combat and outfits for times and places where armour looks inappropriate.

For example I have the Arctic Explorer Outfit for cold maps (I know it doesn't affect the character but watching someone run around a snowstorm in a sleeveless top makes me feel cold!), a few formal clothing outfits for things like meeting world leaders, festivals, etc. and some less formal ones like the monk outfit or common clothing outfit for 'downtime' in cities.

I've also got the Herald of Aurene outfit for story purposes. I actually made my own "Champion of Aurene" costume using armour skins when IBS started, but I got bored with using it all the time and didn't want to keep using transmutation charges to swap it in and out, or make versions for all my characters. I might still do that, but I like having the outfit as a quick alternative.

I've got a few random extras too, like an ebon vanguard outfit, which I assume came from a black lion chest. Those don't get much use although I might occasionally use them on a tempoary character so they're not naked when I'm stripping off their equipment.

I really like your approach. There is little bit of fun in changing clothes adapted to environment.

To answer the topic, I like skins more because I can combine parts while on outfits I cant do that. But I use outfits too.

40 minutes ago, Flasterko.4087 said:

I really like your approach. There is little bit of fun in changing clothes adapted to environment.

To answer the topic, I like skins more because I can combine parts while on outfits I cant do that. But I use outfits too.

Thanks. 🙂 It's something I've been doing in games basically as long as there's been different clothes to swap around.

I don't think I'm the only one who does it in GW2. I remember when The Dragon's Reach Part 2 launched there was a topic on the old forum called "I have nothing to wear to this party" with people posting screenshots of their characters in the Party Politics instance, showing how out of place they looked in armour skins. I don't think it's a coincidence that not long after that we got the noble count outfit. 😄

• Like 2

Armor skin
advantages:
- variable and its more cooler
disadvantages:
- need transmutation charges

Outfits
advantages:
- free to change
disadvantages:
- boring after a time
- expensive if you want more (you want)

If you have legendary armors, armor skins are the best option (no transmutation charges needed to change the skin), otherwise (like me) just mix outfits and armors for different characters.

Edited by Zentao.6314
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BobbyT.7192 said:

Outfits for my medium armour classes, because kitten off trench coats

Glorious Brigandine, pvp reward track chestplate with no buttcape.

I'm working to get it for my Ranger, sure the work has taken me 4 years, 5 years?, an eternity of struggle, but one day it will be mine!

• Like 1

the only time i want outfits is like you said, when levelling (which i haven't done since the very early days of GW2...)

in every other situation armour is just way better for getting your own custom look.

i wish they would chop the existing outfits into pieces and sell them as armour skins, i'd probably buy nearly every single one, they all have atleast a piece which i'd like to add to my skins collection.

Edited by Liewec.2896
  • Like 1

Is this even a question... seriously more customization is always better because you have the option to mix and match. Where in outfits you are limited to only hiding certain aspect of it. I have heavily disliked outfits since they started releasing them.  I know the reasons why they make them and how its easier for them to pump them out.

Recently we have started to see more armor pieces get released slowly and not in full sets upon release but the full set eventually do get released some of the time.  My general grievance with outfits is I do think some of them are done well and I would love to mix some of their pieces with my armor pieces. So I hope they keep slowly adding more items .

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 8:44 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Both.

Yeah, this right here. I like to go back and forth. I always wear a Halloween costume for a few days, and sometimes I just want to change up my look without needing to erase my old look. I would like more full armor sets for customization, because I do like individual pieces better, but a lot of the full costumes look pretty cool. It would be great to be able to mix and match those, though.

• Like 1

In a game where fashion is so important, a game where searching for cosmetics is major part of the end goals, buying an outfit is just a shame.  Outfits are cool looking, but they show serious lack of imagination from those wearing them, for instead of trying to create a unique look, they use what someone else made with nothing to add from themselves.

• Confused 1