Whats Preventing You From Quitting The Game

Rendalmj.3152

Now think about it - most mention the combat system, yet ironically what is best about this game, which is what makes it best of all MMO games, is the most neglected aspect in all game modes. It's also what can be best monetised through events propagated with good marketing, which ANet severely falls behind in.

Thought I'd mention it.

Aside from that I quit long ago. Disappointed after disappointment after disappointment. Lurking, reading, a part of me hoping they'd come to their senses.

Because I have not found a good replacement yet? Some of my requirements:

Not subscription based (I do not mind BTP but if their description includes the word 'subscription' I am out of there).

Movement via keyboard is a must.

Casual-friendly (this can be a bit objective, it comes down to reviews and trying it out, a stress on PVP is a big red flag though). A mix of modes like GW2 had is a nice way of doing it.

Mac support (right now anet is coasting with, as far as anyone can tell, no mac devs and has a game-breaking hurdle coming in a month or so).

An MMO would be the only true replacement, an MMORPG would be preferred.

I find the biggest issue is the whole market eroding around me. GW2 is suffering that same decay, but its still holding on to the laurels of game's overall structure and combat system. The growth isn't really happening, but the casual aspect the keep doubling down on is effectively making a game version of Netflix. ..... in short, its no longer Engaging, but has a reached state of passive zen that lets it eat up time and attention without much to think about. Occasionally something happens that generates a reaction on its novelty, but inevitably falls back into our same tired, familiar, comforting routines. Its entertainment junk food.

And the only reason this game has a hard time being replaced, despite the animosity the players have against the devs over the years, is that this state of being is so stupidly normal, the various choice of games out there is like picking what theme and color you want for your smart phone. Innovation is reduced to a novelty, and everything want to be whatever is the dominant trend. Every time something truly interesting happens, every other game goes all-in trying to get piece of the money, and saturating the market to the point where we're sick of it, and right back where we started.

WoW dominated the market for a long time on sheer the force of an older iteration of social networking, before "social networking" was a thing. Once that player base stagnated into boredom and mindless decay, social groups started to break down, and now the game struggles to stem the slow but steady bleed out. Other games offer nothing but a new coat of paint, yet all the same problems.

The dystopia is real.... searching for meaning and value in a sea of overly commercialized, aggressively monetized, and all too easily forgotten titles; wearing the husks of nostalgia (for some, from a time they themselves have never lived), living a tortured, superficial existence. For every gem that is found among the ashes of our landscape.... for every ray of hope that gleams through soft grey of the foggy air..... born is the memory of what could be, before it too is consumed by whole. Always the same, yet forever different. The youth of this time have much still to discover, and far more to lose.

But for me....... I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Blood Eagles warships on edge of the wilderzone frontiers. Warp beams glittering in the dark near the Gates of Auraxis. All those moments will be lost in time. But there are no more tears left to be shed. All I have left.... is the memory.

It's the only MMORPG I've seen that actually like....I guess, values the same sorts of things as me. I do not like vertical progression, I think subscriptions on a game feel like a scam, the fact that the game actually has an open world with things in it that make you want to keep playing on those maps instead of afking in a city all day, the combat system is actually good for an MMO, and I appreciate things like the Charr being a cat race that isn't just humans with cat ears and a tail. All those sorts of things let me just hop on whenever I want and do pretty much anything without some looming thought of wasting my subscription money.AKA, it's actually a good game :^)

The fact that I’m almost 30 and just don’t feel like starting over in a new mmo. And there’s still plenty of potential with this game. Just hoping it sees some of that potential eventually. But currently it feels like it’s spiraling downward. And my guildies and the non pvp community make it enjoyable. Lol

I’ve never been a pve’r outside of the personal story 7 years ago before expansions which I stopped playing for two years came back and bought both expansions but not for the pve aspect of it.

Now I’m pveing more than I’m doing WvW and trying to get the the skyscale after just getting the griffin. It’s a great game if you can stay away from the toxic WvW mode. I’ve also spent hundreds on the gem store and like the game.

I’ve never raided and pretty much solo everything since I’m not really in to guilds but I may start getting in to it because I’m burnt out doing nothing but WvW casually for like 5 years since I took a two year break.

With Guild Wars, and to a lesser extent GW2, I have been able to play what I want, as much as I want (and no more) and can still find things to do. When I do play, I am engaging with interesting combat mechanics. In GW, but not GW2, I can also interact with interesting build mechanics.

For me, the above factors counterbalance the pointlessness of playing an MMO. In other MMO games, I find that the tedium, time-wasting "mechanics," lame story and combat mechanics like global CD and root during skill use all aggravate me. When I add those aggravations to the pointless nature of playing at all, most MMO's are just not fun.

So, why am I in GW2 instead of GW? The game is still being added to semi-regularly, and friends are here.

The forums are what keep me from quitting the game.

Either I come here to bicker, or I see some claims about something unbelievable and have to go check it out.

edit) i have been getting reported a lot lately for trivial stuff, and I log in to see forum account suspended daily (even though that might be a bug). I guess If i get banned, that'll be that. get to reporting folks. comb through my stuff, i'm sure there are enough violations.

I made the mistake of spending hundreds of dollars on this game when I started a year ago. I am very unhappy with this game due to the long aggro range of PoF and beyond, which completely ruins the game for me, meaning this game has no future for me. The incomprehensible visual clutter that turns the game into a shallow and mindless mess also makes combat feel pointless. The spam of bright flashing effects hurts my eyes. Going by WoW’s $15 a month sub, I’d have to stay for another year or so before I can quit with some solace that my money wasn’t completely wasted.

I've looked into other MMORPGs, but I always come back to GW2. Nowadays I mainly play GW2 as a stress relief game. I love the fact you can dive in and simply wrap up your dailies or spend more time in game to roam around, enjoy events, get a bit more serious or - in my case - wrap up Living World episodes and casually work on unlocking masteries. All that without a subscription fee.

I've been playing more now that the boyfriend has started his journey in Tyria. It's refreshing to see someone play who has only seen a fraction of the game and is not burdened with the 'knowledge of how it used to be'. His enthusiasm to get further into the game has helped me worry less about what was or could be, but simply enjoy playing the game.

Lack of alternatives, really. There isn't much to do and with both PvP and WvW both of my favourite gamemodes are in a sorry state, however that doesn't mean I will play a retro version of some 15 y.o. game with shit combat that I already disliked when it came out, or some of the other trash MMOs with awful mechanics. The only non-dead game with interesting combat beside GW2 I've found so far is BDO, but unfortunately it's a Korean P2W grindfiesta, so there is literally no alternative.